• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleeper Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I am curious to know what is the longest single night sleeper journey you can make in Europe at the moment. Ignoring Covid 19 timetables?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pitdiver

I have just come across a sleeper service Budapest to Bucharest 17 hrs. Is this journey time so lengthy due to the speed of the train or the distance.
As I understand it some of the Scandinavian sleeper services are quite lengthy.

CW2

Established Member
There are journeys of around 24 hours in Turkey, but only in the Asian side, so outwith the original scope of this question.
On the European side the sleepers linking Istanbul with Bucharest / Budapest were characterised by the need to get out of bed and stand on the chilly platform at the border at 02xx - 03xx whilst your passport is examined. That is not my idea of a good night's sleep.

Veteran Member
I have just come across a sleeper service Budapest to Bucharest 17 hrs. Is this journey time so lengthy due to the speed of the train or the distance.
As I understand it some of the Scandinavian sleeper services are quite lengthy.
Stockholm-Narvik and Vienna-Bucharest are both just over 1100km if I have added the ERT distances correctly. Bucharest at 19h22 (allowing for the time zone change) beats Narvik at 18h45, but has a 50min stop in Budapest.
However, both are beaten by the Milan-Palermo sleeper which takes nearly 21h to cover about 1550km - including a train ferry.

superalbs

Established Member
How about the Wien to Kyiv train, which was scheduled for 23h22m I think. :)

Veteran Member
How about the Wien to Kyiv train, which was scheduled for 23h22m I think. :)
Very comfortable winner on distance too at 1500-odd Km (though I think the time zone makes it an hour less) :)
Might be something even longer within Ukraine /European Russia?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Quite a few long sleepers in Italy, including those that use the train ferry to/from Sicily.

Veteran Member
I was really surprised to see how many there are, there are even two from Palermo to Roma.
I believe the really long distance ones depend on specific subsidy, hence the "subject to confirmation" in ERT.

JonasB

Longest as in distance travelled or time spent on the train?

Stockholm-Narvik and Vienna-Bucharest are both just over 1100km if I have added the ERT distances correctly. Bucharest at 19h22 (allowing for the time zone change) beats Narvik at 18h45, but has a 50min stop in Budapest.
However, both are beaten by the Milan-Palermo sleeper which takes nearly 21h to cover about 1550km - including a train ferry.

Stockholm-Narvik is 1461 km according to https://www.tydal.nu/php/tag/km.php?restart which is usually reliable.

Another long night train is Snälltåget's night train Malmö-Vilhelmina which is close to 20 hours, or 1382 km if they take the shortest route.

Veteran Member
Stockholm-Narvik is 1461 km according to https://www.tydal.nu/php/tag/km.php?restart which is usually reliable.
Thanks, I must have missed a chunk of the route altogether - or my mental arithmetic is faulty!
Rechecking Wien-Bucuresti quickly, that one is in the right ballpark. However, Wien-Kyiv and Milano-Palermo seem to be longer by distance (and there are several over 24h in Ukraine (Uzhhorod-Kharkiv) or to/from European Russia .

Status
Not open for further replies.