• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slovenian Pendolinos - What Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superalbs

Established Member
It seems that once upon a time, these units were used on frequent shuttles between Ljubljana and Maribor, and even on some additional services to Koper, and Venezia (Italy).

Nowadays it's just a one-off trip out early in the morning from Maribor to Ljubljana, then returning mid-afternoon. What happened to this once highly-utilised fleet of three, to turn the service into what it is now, a mere return trip?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It seems that once upon a time, these units were used on frequent shuttles between Ljubljana and Maribor, and even on some additional services to Koper, and Venezia (Italy).

Nowadays it's just a one-off trip out early in the morning from Maribor to Ljubljana, then returning mid-afternoon. What happened to this once highly-utilised fleet of three, to turn the service into what it is now, a mere return trip?

I've seen nothing to suggest they don't the still operate the two-hourly limited stop Ljubljana-Maribor, but I knew the summer only Koper workings ended a few years ago.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Actually it seems the Slovenian Railways website is out of date in some respects.

Looking on DB's journey planner there dies indeed appear to be only one ICS service when there used to be about six.

All I can think is with such a small fleet something has happened to put one or more units out of action resulting in vastly reduced service.

I believe that these are the only trains allowed 160km/h in Slovenia, anything non-tilting is limited to the traditional 120km/h ceiling, so it must be greatly increasing travel times between the two cities.

superalbs

Established Member
Actually it seems the Slovenian Railways website is out of date in some respects.

Looking on DB's journey planner there dies indeed appear to be only one ICS service when there used to be about six.

All I can think is with such a small fleet something has happened to put one or more units out of action resulting in vastly reduced service.

I believe that these are the only trains allowed 160km/h in Slovenia, anything non-tilting is limited to the traditional 120km/h ceiling, so it must be greatly increasing travel times between the two cities.
Last year in September, I travelled from Ljubljana to Maribor on train IC 18, which departed at around 13:15. I think this train was normally a Pendolino service, but instead a SŽ 312 (Desiro) showed up.

I did see one of the Pendolino fleet at Maribor, yet the other two were nowhere to be seen (pretty odd considering my journey covered the entire route, and presumably they would be kept near home base).

Anyway, my journey was heavily disrupted with engineering works (which seemed to be pretty major, yet not accounted for in the timetable). Many sections of line were missing tracks, and we were running at about 30mph for long sections of the route, ended up around 40 minutes late.

Perhaps the idea is that they don't want to take the pride hit of their premium service being constantly slow and late? But that still leaves the question as to when this started, and when it will stop!

Very disappointing (especially considering the fantastic Grammer seats), but hopefully be getting a ride on ICS 20, which is definitely meant to be the Pendolino in June.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Last year in September, I travelled from Ljubljana to Maribor on train IC 18, which departed at around 13:15. I think this train was normally a Pendolino service, but instead a SŽ 312 (Desiro) showed up.

I did see one of the Pendolino fleet at Maribor, yet the other two were nowhere to be seen (pretty odd considering my journey covered the entire route, and presumably they would be kept near home base).

Anyway, my journey was heavily disrupted with engineering works (which seemed to be pretty major, yet not accounted for in the timetable). Many sections of line were missing tracks, and we were running at about 30mph for long sections of the route, ended up around 40 minutes late.

Perhaps the idea is that they don't want to take the pride hit of their premium service being constantly slow and late? But that still leaves the question as to when this started, and when it will stop!

Very disappointing (especially considering the fantastic Grammer seats), but hopefully be getting a ride on ICS 20, which is definitely meant to be the Pendolino in June.

It is very strange, but I noticed a number of services seem to be party bustituted, so I wonder if there are engineering works of some description.

DB seems to suggest only the 05:40 Maribor-Ljubljana and 15:15 return are Pendolino until the 20th July.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Wrong traction!
You should be travelling on the mighty SZ 541 Taurus instead, highly superior to the Pendolino

superalbs

Established Member
Wrong traction!
You should be travelling on the mighty SZ 541 Taurus instead, highly superior to the Pendolino
I already am, on D 315 from Villach Hbf to Ljubljana.

And, I trust that given you are saying that they are superior to the Pendolino, you have of course been on the Pendolino? I presume this was on the ICS 20 train, as discussed previously? Would be a good help to hear that it is actually likely to produce lol! :)

cactustwirly

Established Member
I already am, on D 315 from Villach Hbf to Ljubljana.

And, I trust that given you are saying that they are superior to the Pendolino, you have of course been on the Pendolino? I presume this was on the ICS 20 train, as discussed previously? Would be a good help to hear that it is actually likely to produce lol! :)

Good man, I was on D211 from Villach to Ljubljana last month.
Not been on a SZ Pendolino, hate the bloody things on the WCML, and LHCS stock beats a EMU any day of the week, especially if it's a Siemens Taurus!

duesselmartin

Established Member
A Siemens loco does not add to passenger comfort. Or do you notice if Bombardier or Alstom traction is used.
Tilting or non tilting, Loco or MU, that makes a difference.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Good man, I was on D211 from Villach to Ljubljana last month.
Not been on a SZ Pendolino, hate the bloody things on the WCML, and LHCS stock beats a EMU any day of the week, especially if it's a Siemens Taurus!

But for the passenger, other than the EuroCity trains I believe conventional loco-hauled InterCity trains in Slovenia are not generally air-conditioned and as I stated above anything that's not an SŽ Pendolino is limited to 120km/h.

The Pendos seem to be able to do Ljubljana-Maribor in about 2 hrs 05, other services take over 3 hrs on occasion. To your not traction-appreciating passenger that makes a lot of difference especially I imagine I one of the Desiro EMUs ends up on such a working.

superalbs

Established Member
I am told by a friend who is currently in Ljubljana, that IC 502 from Koper is formed of an ICS set today.

Unsure if it's always one of these, but good to know that they are actually used more than just the single train pair from/to Maribor.

Interestingly, today ICS 20 only ran as far as Zidani Most, what a waste!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am told by a friend who is currently in Ljubljana, that IC 502 from Koper is formed of an ICS set today.

Unsure if it's always one of these, but good to know that they are actually used more than just the single train pair from/to Maribor.

It's very strange what's going on with the ZS Pendolinos, used to be a regular two-hourly service with them and now they hardly seem to get used.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well at least it's better than Bosnia's 9 Talgo trains (loco-hauled).
They were delivered in 2011 and have only recently started work from Sarajevo to Doboj and Bihac.
In the meantime they were hired out to Turkey's TCDD.
One day they might even reach Zagreb, the main reason they were purchased.
BiH does have multiple operational problems, of course.

superalbs

Established Member
The set that worked ICS 20 ran back to Ljubljana about an hour later. It then worked what was advertised as BUS 26, presumably as far as Zidani Most, but maybe Maribor.

That makes two sets out today for sure, nice to see them in person though. Slovenia is definitely worth a proper revisit in the future, but maybe I will wait until the works on their key route are finished.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The set that worked ICS 20 ran back to Ljubljana about an hour later. It then worked what was advertised as BUS 26, presumably as far as Zidani Most, but maybe Maribor.

That makes two sets out today for sure, nice to see them in person though. Slovenia is definitely worth a proper revisit in the future, but maybe I will wait until the works on their key route are finished.

Is it engineering works that are affecting the Pendolino provision?

superalbs

Established Member
Having seen the situation now, I would expect that to be the case.

Presumably they are used for other workings, but only have one solid booked run.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Yesterday was rather special
Zidani Most - Maribor was blocked by a derailment of the daily Ljubljana - Budapest train a few km north of Zidane Most. Here is a Slovene TV report

https://www.24ur.com/novice/crna-kronika/iztiril-potniski-vlak-v-rimskih-toplicah.html

When I've been there (once a year or so), there has been a lot of heavy track renewals in the past 3 years between Zidane Most and Pragersko, especially in the area around Slovenske Bistrica and around Lasko.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Having seen the situation now, I would expect that to be the case.

Presumably they are used for other workings, but only have one solid booked run.

A return to the norm soon, all being well. Just seems a waste to have them only booked on one run.

Status
Not open for further replies.