• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slow (car) drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dquebec

Anyone else fed up of those drivers going 20-30mph below the speed limit?

For the past 3 days, I've been driving on rural country roads where the national speed limit (60mph) applies - yet I've come stuck behind at least 10 drivers who are only doing 30-40mph on roads which are easily safe for 50-60mph if you pay attention to what you're doing. You can't even overtake them because the roads are narrow and busy in both directions. One of my trips was almost 15 miles stuck behind one of these dangerously slow drivers.

Nearly every one of the "slow" drivers has been an "older" driver, definitely 70+, driving their little 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa.

#rant over!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Equally, you have to appreciate that a lot of factors come into determining the speed at which someone drives. For example, I tend to be more cautious, thus slower, on country roads which I am not familiar with: I need more time to anticipate any bends in the road which may, or may not, be sharper than I expect. I'm not familiar with the hazards of the road.

It also has to be remembered that it is not always safe, nor appropriate, to continue at the maximum permitted speed, they are a limit and not a target.

I feel that your rant and pick upon the stereotype of "older drivers" is unfair and perhaps shows danger arising out of complacency in your own driving?

The existence of a 'slow driver' does not cause an accident, it's the impatience, incompetence, complacency or otherwise, of other drivers failing to respond correctly to the changing dynamic of what is infront of them.

TP

Last edited:

trainmania100

Established Member
i often find my self driving home from work on a rural single carriageway with drivers doing 30-40mph when the speed limit is 60

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Slow drivers are probably the most dangerous road users out there. It is their poor judgement on appropriate speeds which causes delays and accidents.
I'm not sure how travelling slowly causes an accident, however I suspect you're passing on the blame to the people travelling slowly, when the 'accident' is really caused by impatient motorists overtaking when not appropriate to do so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Slow drivers aren't dangerous, impatient drivers are.
Agreed. Annoying maybe but not dangerous.

me123

Established Member

On occasion, yes. However, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you, the speed limit is not a target or an advisory, it is a limit.

For the past 3 days, I've been driving on rural country roads where the national speed limit (60mph) applies - yet I've come stuck behind at least 10 drivers who are only doing 30-40mph on roads which are easily safe for 50-60mph if you pay attention to what you're doing. You can't even overtake them because the roads are narrow and busy in both directions.

Are they really safe for 50-60mph if they're "narrow"? :idea: May be worth showing us which road(s) you're talking about.

One of my trips was almost 15 miles stuck behind one of these dangerously slow drivers.

Nearly every one of the "slow" drivers has been an "older" driver, definitely 70+, driving their little 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa.

I do have some sympathy for you. Having been stuck behind someone doing 20mph on the A9 (who the Police pulled over at one of their speed traps - probably not expecting to ask "Do you have any idea how slow you're going), it can be dangerous to go slowly. When you see agricultural vehicles overtaking you on a single carriageway, that's probably a sign you're going too slow. I also have quite a bit of experience that these painfully slow drivers are often quite bad in other ways too. I am reminded of a past neighbour, who drove his car at 15mph regardless of road conditions (I suspect in first gear given the noise). He also regularly ignored give way lines, regularly drove onto a pavement and at least once drove through a red light. You'll be pleased to hear he's no longer driving.

However, 40mph on a NSL road isn't necessarily unsafe. It varies from road to road of course, but it's not unreasonably slow. That's the speed that HGVs are limited to, for example.

Besides, you should never be going so fast that you can't stop your car safely for any obstacle. So it's not inherently unsafe to be going a bit slower. It is courteous to allow faster vehicles past, perhaps by pulling into a lay-by if there's no suitable overtaking opportunity. Whilst it isn't unreasonable for you to try and overtake if the conditions allow, it is important to sit back when you clearly cannot overtake and drive to the conditions of the road. And that includes staying a safe distance behind the car in front, which I'm sure you're doing already. Just pop on Classic FM and try to relax. :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It gets on my nerves but, then again, I'm not driving! I agree, impatient drivers are likely to be more dangerous than slow drivers but not the slow driver that we were stuck behind this morning. Probably a quarter of his car the other side of the white line (including around blind curves), doing 30 in a 60 limit.

me123

Established Member
i often find my self driving home from work on a rural single carriageway with drivers doing 30-40mph when the speed limit is 60

Again, is it safe to do 60mph? NSL does not indicate in any way that 60mph is safe. I can think of a short stretch of NSL road where I travel below 30mph (going slower than in the 30mph zone on either side) because it's very narrow and windy with poor visibility.

Speed limits are neither targets, nor are they advisories. They are limits that should be adhered to. Overall, it is the conditions of the road that will determine the safe speed, and not a sign.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In which case then, trainmania100, you should not be driving in the first place. If you are at any risk of falling asleep behind the wheel, you are not in a fit state to drive a car.

me123

Established Member
Slow drivers are dangerous because you can fall asleep driving behind them

:o:shock::o

If you are at risk of falling asleep, pull over. That is absolutely not the fault of a slow driver, and I cannot fathom your logic in any way, shape or form. It is your responsibility alone to make sure that you are fit for the journey you are going to make.

That's one of the most startling and scary things I've ever read from a driver. If this is your attitude, I have quite serious questions about your driving ability.
It gets on my nerves but, then again, I'm not driving! I agree, impatient drivers are likely to be more dangerous than slow drivers but not the slow driver that we were stuck behind this morning. Probably a quarter of his car the other side of the white line (including around blind curves), doing 30 in a 60 limit.

I think this is my thought on slow drivers - they are often dangerous but it's rarely because of speed alone. As in my example above, it's often a symptom of poor driving in general.

dquebec

I don't think it's unreasonable to feel a bit impatient if you're stuck behind an unusually slow driver.

If I feel that I am able to travel at 50-60mph on a 60mph back road - that is me using my experience, knowledge and good judgement.

Too many car drivers these days can get their vehicle to move - but CANNOT drive properly or appropriately.

If a lower speed was necessary, the local authority risk assessment would see them impose a signed lower speed other than the NSL 60.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
But impatience behind the wheel leads to mistakes being made, take a chill pill, build time into your schedule and relax whilst driving.

I fear this thread is going to become a fairly heated argument with two distinct sides, one for the 'fast dangerous' style of driving and one for the 'slow dangerous' style.

DaleCooper

Established Member

I think trainmania100 meant that as a lighthearted comment.

If we want to know which drivers are the most dangerous I suggest we ask the insurance industry.
If a lower speed was necessary, the local authority risk assessment would see them impose a signed lower speed other than the NSL 60.

That remark displays ignorance and inexperience, there are plenty of roads that are not suitable for 60mph but have not had lower speeds imposed.

Established Member
However, 40mph on a NSL road isn't necessarily unsafe. It varies from road to road of course, but it's not unreasonably slow. That's the speed that HGVs are limited to, for example.

Only in Scotland; it's 50mph for an HGV on an NSL single carriageway in England and Wales.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If I feel that I am able to travel at 50-60mph on a 60mph back road - that is me using my experience, knowledge and good judgement.

If that's your point then why refer in the OP to driving below the speed limit, not to driving below the safe speed?

Unlikely on minor roads. We have the pretty strange situation round here where many single carriageway A roads have been downgraded from NSL to 50mph but at each junction there is a NSL sign for the side road.

The reason for this is probably that a single carriageway A road is more dangerous than it looks and has high casualty rates that justify a lower limit. Minor side roads have lower casualty rates, partly because fewer people use them and partly because many of those that do probably drive at a safe speed lower than the 60mph limit.

TheEdge

Established Member
Lets be honest, we all know its up to the driver to decide their speed up to the speed limit depending on the road conditions. I know back lanes where I will happily do up to 60, long visibility straights and low or no hedges but I also know A roads where I wouldn't dare.

Dangerous slow speeds come where people are going so slowly other drivers may take unnecessary risks or those morons who sit at 35-40 constantly regardless of the actual speed limit or road conditions...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Then you need to ensure you are NOT driving any more until that is no longer the case. Either get more sleep, or seek medical help or something. If YOU fall asleep at the wheel, it is YOU who is liable. Not anyone else.

Domh245

Established Member
As others have said, driving slowly on normal roads is irritating but not unsafe. Pootling along at 45 in the middle lane of a motorway however is a different kettle of fish.

ExRes

Established Member

For the past 3 days, I've been driving on rural country roads where the national speed limit (60mph) applies - yet I've come stuck behind at least 10 drivers who are only doing 30-40mph on roads which are easily safe for 50-60mph if you pay attention to what you're doing. You can't even overtake them because the roads are narrow and busy in both directions. One of my trips was almost 15 miles stuck behind one of these dangerously slow drivers.

#rant over!!

Yet another thread on the same old subject

Obviously 70+ aged people driving below the speed limit is more dangerous than moronic 20-30 year olds in hoodies driving Imprezas at 50+ on 30 mph roads

Butts

Veteran Member
In the old days they used to be called "Sunday Afternoon Drivers"

Key clue and warning sign was a hat on the noggin :lol: - tootling along at 30mph on a country road with a 60mph speed limit.

Even more frustrating they were often to be found in big Rovers,Fords or Jags. The female variety would be in an 1100 , Morris Minor or such like. <D

DaleCooper

Established Member
In the old days they used to be called "Sunday Afternoon Drivers"

Key clue and warning sign was a hat on the noggin :lol: - tootling along at 30mph on a country road with a 60mph speed limit.

Even more frustrating they were often to be found in big Rovers,Fords or Jags. The female variety would be in an 1100 , Morris Minor or such like. <D

That's pretty well all the baseless clichés and tired old jokes covered. Any original thoughts to add?

Butts

Veteran Member
That's pretty well all the baseless clichés and tired old jokes covered. Any original thoughts to add?

Perhaps you were not about in the sixties/seventies ? - most of my comments were from personal experience and observation.

A mimimum speed limit in a 60mph area may be one solution.

Domh245

Established Member
A mimimum speed limit in a 60mph area may be one solution.

That'd be pretty unworkable. All it would take is for rain to start falling, or some kind of slippery road surface and you'd soon have a mega pile up. Even without doom-mongering, there are still vehicles that are speed limited to 60 or less (eg Minivans)

Butts

Veteran Member
That'd be pretty unworkable. All it would take is for rain to start falling, or some kind of slippery road surface and you'd soon have a mega pile up. Even without doom-mongering, there are still vehicles that are speed limited to 60 or less (eg Minivans)

Yes, you are probably correct.

Liberal application of the horn and headlights is the only answer ;)

Gutfright

Then you need to ensure you are NOT driving any more until that is no longer the case. Either get more sleep, or seek medical help or something. If YOU fall asleep at the wheel, it is YOU who is liable. Not anyone else.

I find MDMA/ ecstasy help keep me alert when driving. Cocaine is not recommended for longer journeys as it wears off too quickly :lol:

Welly

Some years ago I was driving home from work along a single carriageway A road in blizzard condition. I (and everyone else) was doing 30mph in an NSL zone due to the weather condition but came across a driver doing 10mph with his 4 hazard blinkers active! He was going so slow that an articulated 40 ton lorry overtook that car!

Antman

Established Member

#rant over!!

Try driving around Eastbourne, dear me I know we've all got to get old but..........

The police do sometimes take action as ridiculously slow driving can be dangerous which is why for example tractors, milk floats and such like have to have flashing lights on whilst driving on dual carriageways.

dquebec

Talking of Dual Carriageways - I am absolutely shocked at how many people don't know that the NSL is 70mph!!

Status
Not open for further replies.