• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest settlement served by electric trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Following on from the thread about the largest town without electrification, what are the smallest settlements served by electric trains?

I imagine some of the settlements on the Wirral and some of the villages on the West Coast mainline in Cheshire are contenders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Opening offer is Atherstone in Warwickshire (8k) which has an hourly service to London Euston and Crewe.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Following on from the thread about the largest town without electrification, what are the smallest settlements served by electric trains?

I imagine some of the settlements on the Wirral and some of the villages on the West Coast mainline in Cheshire are contenders.

Will need to check the exact name - but there is a station on the Waterloo - reading line that only gets a couple of trains per day. Ashford????

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will need to check the exact name - but there is a station on the Waterloo - reading line that only gets a couple of trains per day. Ashford????

I think you mean Longcross?

It gets a lot more than a couple of trains a day nowadays though, 9 or 10 each way, but it provides a tidal flow - morning down and evening up trains AFAICS...

Bonemaster

Quick look of some I thought of on the DC network Sandling population 500 on the AC network Shepreth population 819

ushawk

Established Member
Normans Bay would probably get it - few houses near by, but it is next to a Caravan Park - which technically isnt a settlement.

Ford is quite small as well

Failed Unit

Established Member

It gets a lot more than a couple of trains a day nowadays though, 9 or 10 each way, but it provides a tidal flow - morning down and evening up trains AFAICS...

Yes it is grabbed the timetable on the Reading - London direction

2 heading to London in the peak, but lots in the evening peak heading to London strange.

Ivo

Established Member

Other way round! Its tidal flow according to SWT is towards Reading.

I don't think we can reasonably answer this thread. There must be more than 100 settlements out there that have a population of less than 10,000 with an electrified service. Southease and Longcross are good in my opinion though. On the other hand, the relevant settlement for Beaulieu Road is Beaulieu, home of the National Motor Museum.

I guess when it was opened Kingsbury on the Jubilee line (then on the Met) would have been a contender. Its name was supposedly made up!

paul1609

Established Member
Normans Bay would probably get it - few houses near by, but it is next to a Caravan Park - which technically isnt a settlement.

Ford is quite small as well

I reckon Normans Bay is bigger than Southease. Ford is quite large by comparison there are 2 small estates and of course the prison with a population of around 600.

Polarbear

Established Member

The stations on the Wirral lines serve pretty reasonable size places in the main, though Capenhurst isn't particularly large.

Acton Bridge is another station that serves a small village, but it is close to Weaverham, which is not small.

philjo

Established Member
Bayford (Hertford Loop) I think has a population of about 450.

steamybrian

Established Member
Can I add Swale which serves ......?
Beltring serves a few isolated houses and farms

W-on-Sea

Established Member
A bit of a Kingsbury/Queensbury mix up earlier on there.

Kingsbury was first. Queensbury came later (1930s)

Status
Not open for further replies.