• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
In comparison to the biggest station thread what's the smallest station on the national rail network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisA

There a probaly loads with one platform like Windemere. You probably will have to go into platform lengths to find your smallest station!

Edit: Just so it makes sense, Seth posted just senconds before me. (Hence why platform length idea is repeated!)

devon_metro

Established Member
well i suppose platfrom length, station building or not, facilities and frequency of services

Met Driver

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
well i suppose platfrom length, station building or not, facilities and frequency of services

It's Beauly near Inverness (a few of us passed through there on the Kyle trip last summer). It doesn't have a station building and the service frequency is less than amazing.

Met Driver

Established Member
ChrisA said:
Are there some really small stations where you have to thumb to the driver you want him to stop?

Good question. The answer is yes, at some stations you do have to signal to the driver if you wish to board certain services (whether or not a service stops only on request usually depends on the time of day/year). Passengers wishing to alight from such services have to notify the guard beforehand.

Simming

Seth said:
dvn1357 said:

It's Beauly near Inverness (a few of us passed through there on the Kyle trip last summer). It doesn't have a station building and the service frequency is less than amazing.

IIRC this is the smallest station on the network, as the guard can only use the local door to let passengers on and off, ironically its also the busyiest station north of inverness, as well as the smallest.

there are loads of stations where you need to thumb the driver to stop, or tell the guard.

IIRC as well theres a puny station on the Rhymney line as well, thats a request stop, and short platform

Established Member
Dilton marsh you have to wave madly at the driver to stop its aobut one doors length!!! But it has a bus shelter think or a little wooden hut!!

Met Driver

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Not officially National Railways but im sure the small platoforms remaining on Brompton road and Down street (LU) could be- no services, station building no longer in LU use, Very small platform. http://underground-history.co.uk/downst.php
http://underground-history.co.uk/brompton.php

The platforms at those stations would have been of a similar, if not identical, length to all the other platforms on the Picc. Don't forget, they all had to accomodate the same number of cars...

devon_metro

Established Member
Yes indeed but with most of the platfrom bricked up now they are certainly smaller if the bricked up part is not counted

Simming

Forgot to say as well, some of the staff platforms can be quite short, although I dont know if any are still in use

Met Driver

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Yes indeed but with most of the platfrom bricked up now they are certainly smaller if the bricked up part is not counted

IIRC the only bits which haven't been bricked up are the gates. Neither of the former platforms are exposed to the running lines AFAIK.

devon_metro

Established Member
Seth said:
dvn1357 said:

IIRC the only bits which haven't been bricked up are the gates. Neither of the former platforms are exposed to the running lines AFAIK.

From what i have gathered that is correct; obviously for occasional maintenance but anyway this is not national rail related! Some of the platforms are very small, im surprised etwork rail consider it worth maintaining!

Established Member
wimbledon staff halt is very short and has no cover. i think you can only fit the width of one door on it.

Met Driver

Established Member
feltham2104 said:
wimbledon staff halt is very short and has no cover. i think you can only fit the width of one door on it.

Battersea Pier Halt is about the same but has the added bonus of a roof.

Established Member
Lucky drivers. I remeber when i went to work once with my dad when i was about 6 he used to work in wimbledon and we used the staff halt!!!

T

Tom

Seth said:
dvn1357 said:
Not officially National Railways but im sure the small platoforms remaining on Brompton road and Down street (LU) could be- no services, station building no longer in LU use, Very small platform. http://underground-history.co.uk/downst.php
http://underground-history.co.uk/brompton.php

The platforms at those stations would have been of a similar, if not identical, length to all the other platforms on the Picc. Don't forget, they all had to accomodate the same number of cars...

Aye, you'd find something smaller at a station such as Bayswater (6 cars of standard length)

Met Driver

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Aye, you'd find something smaller at a station such as Bayswater (6 cars of standard length)

...hence you won't find any D stocks in service north of HSK. ;)

jd

ChrisA said:
Are there some really small stations where you have to thumb to the driver you want him to stop?

Yes, quite a few stations between Shirley and Stratford on the Shirley Line in Bham are request stops - if you are on the platform, you signal to the driver that you wish to board. If you wish to alight, you must inform the guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.