• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smart card problem Brighton bus & train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

Hope I’m posting in the right place!

A mate in Brighton has a Brighton & Hove buses “the key” smart card and a Southern railway one also called “the key”.

He normally tops up in the local travel shop using a TVM for his bus travel, the local “city saver” is £4.80 per day.

Anyway. Today he accidentally topped up his Southern railway card instead of the bus one, he has a receipt but is panaking.

Nothing is showing on the Southern key card website on his account.

Anyone know if it is likely to work?

If not why did it let him top up a “foreign” card. And what next ?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattdickinson

Southern smart cards are valid on buses in Brighton if they are signed up to Keygo, so it shouldn't pose a problem. Both cards are Go-Ahead which is why the terminal allowed the addition of the pass to the wrong card.

Saperstein

Southern smart cards are valid on buses in Brighton if they are signed up to Keygo, so it shouldn't pose a problem. Both cards are Go-Ahead which is why the terminal allowed the addition of the pass to the wrong card.

Thanks @mattdickinson I fed this back to the person involved last night and I have just learned that it worked fine as you described.

Saperstein

As an aside to this, I was in Hove yesterday and found that the TVM's there were able to read my Transport for Wales smartcard. I was able to buy a single to London Road (Brighton) with railcard discount, I paid, touched the card on again for the TVM to update it and travelled as normal touching in at Hove (barriers were open) and out at Brighton (same price) and it opened the barriers.

This surprised me as I'm sure TfW is nothing to do with Go-Ahead group... Wonder what have happened had I been challenged, would they be able to read my TfW card with their GTR hand-held devices? I can't see why not.

_toommm_

Established Member
As an aside to this, I was in Hove yesterday and found that the TVM's there were able to read my Transport for Wales smartcard. I was able to buy a single to London Road (Brighton) with railcard discount, I paid, touched the card on again for the TVM to update it and travelled as normal touching in at Hove (barriers were open) and out at Brighton (same price) and it opened the barriers.

This surprised me as I'm sure TfW is nothing to do with Go-Ahead group... Wonder what have happened had I been challenged, would they be able to read my TfW card with their GTR hand-held devices? I can't see why not.

As far as I know, they're both ITSO cards, so technically they're still the same card, just with different wrappers on.

Status
Not open for further replies.