• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Smart" meters spamming from electric supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Over the last five days or so, I have constantly been spammed by my electric supplier intimidating me into having my existing meter changed, which works perfectly fine.

When I was out walking the dog earlier, I received a third spam text message from them (I had thought it would be from my GP as I had an x-ray on my right knee last week as I was getting pains there, maybe related to fallen arch in both my feet) and having read it which was exactly the same wording, I came on with an angina attack and collapsed to the ground.

i am not convinced with the present fashion of having "smart" meters installed (except maybe in new builds) as they do not reduce bills, do not work very well with Economy 7 (which I have), and also as it is a flat I reside in, any mucking around with the wiring (installers have been known to mess up the wiring especially for those who like me have an E7 tariff) could either compromise the fire safety of the flat, or invalidate the insurance (I rent from someone who mainly resides in Turkey, but returns to the UK every summer for 2-3 months, with my landlord's parents vacating to Turkey for 6 months afterwards. Plus anything that is to do with fire safety or insurance has to go through my landlord). The meter is in a box room/broom cupboard that has a fire door, as do all doors in the flat.

Below is the letter I have sent to the electric supplier:

Dear

It is with great concern that I wish to initiate a complaint as I am being constantly spammed with both SMS text messages and emails regarding having a smart meter installed. I have received this spam on 12 August, 15 August. and 17 August. As I suffer from both mental health (PTSD) and physical health (angina) conditions that are controlled by various medication, I am supposed to avoid all unnecessary stress as what my doctor had advised.

The receipt of the spam message today had caused me to have an angina attack which resulted me in collapsing to the ground caused by the unnecessary stress I was caused.

I do not want a smart meter as my meter (installed in 2010 according to the sticker next to it – either your database in incorrect saying it was installed over 15 years ago, which would make this 2007, or somebody is dreadful at doing maths. This makes this less than 15 years from what I was taught in maths class at primary school many years ago) works perfectly fine and I can read the display for both rates perfectly fine (I have Economy 7 pay as you go tariff, which smart meters do not work reliably (according to online reports on various electricity and energy forums) as they get the two readings confused somehow and do not transmit the correct readings. Also, I am aware of the power of my appliances draw as I can look at the rating plate and work out the cost to run each appliance through doing some simple maths involving power, time used, and cost per unit.

At my previous flat where I had resided from 2004 to 2020, my meter was a mechanical dial meter, which according to the sticker at the side, was installed in 1991. The meter worked perfectly fine and did not give any unusually high or low readings at all. Likewise, the meter I have at this address works perfectly fine and does not give any unusually high or low readings at all for either rate.

Also, in regards to installation of smart meters, what is to stop higher management or the Government wanting to cut supplies to individual properties and residents in the event of a crisis with all the data that is gathered? You only have to see news reports of the early days of the Ukraine conflict, where Vladimir Putin had cut and closed down all the independent news and communication services, with the only official news source (or propaganda) coming from the Kremlin.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that I do not want a smart meter, I am under no obligation whatsoever to have one installed as is my right under the Magna Carter, therefore I request you and/or your agencies do not ever contact me about this again. If I receive any further spam messages regarding smart meters, I will not hesitate to initiate legal action against you as this is a form of bullying, intimidation, and harrassment.​

Has anybody else been spammed or intimidated in this manner?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Have you checked your communication settings on your account to see that you're not opted into SMS communication? Without knowing how you signed up for your current tariff, your supplier should have asked about communication preferences or there would have been a suitable tick box if you did it online. I'd also check the small print of your tariff, as often there is an agreement to have a smart meter installed; that was certainly the case when I signed up for my current tariff.

One thing I would advise you to do is to get in touch with them and have a note of your meter serial number to hand (take a photo too). If there's a discrepancy between the date on the sticker and the date that they have on file, it could indicate that there has been a meter exchange which hasn't been recorded properly. It may not cause any issues now, but if there is a problem with the meter at a later date and it needs to be replaced, it could cause you some issues.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

I wouldn't go as far as 'intimidated', but when smart meters first came into vogue a few years ago, I received letters at what I think must've been a rate of at least once a month or so inviting me to install one. I ignored them because at that time there were various reports going round about smart meters being (allegedly) not very secure and fairly easily hackable, so it looked to me like I was being invited to install a security risk that had no benefit I particularly cared about. At some point the communications changed to 'Your appointment for installing the smart meter has been made for date X. Text this number to confirm you'll be in. I was quite amused by those and also ignored them. After a couple of years, the letters died down and now I only get them occasionally. I did have one a couple of months ago claiming my existing meter was about to expire so I should install a smart meter.

Funnily enough, I am starting to wonder whether enough time has passed for any security risks etc. to be ironed out and whether - especially now electricity is so much more expensive - it would be worth having one. At the risk of hijacking the thread, does anyone have any thoughts on that?

tomuk

Established Member
Most of the 'reports going around' are just click bait rubbish. Although no system is completely secure the SMETS2 system is pretty robust and unlikely to be breached. If it were hacked you would likely only gain access to one meter any way where is the gain in doing that?

Personally having previously worked in the industry I've rejected smart meters until a recently. The earlier generation meters was poor and the rollout of the 2nd gen ones and the background infrastructure was delayed. I have happily had them installed recently replacing two nearly 25 year old meters.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I've just had one installed. My previous home also had one that the landlord had arranged to have installed.

Personally I find them useful as a reminder to be careful about energy usage. They don't in themselves save energy but they do make it easy to see what you're using and spot opportunities for savings. I know you could do this by manually reading the meter regularly but I find the smart meter easier.

Not too concerned about cyber security. If someone accesses it, what value is there in knowing how much electricity I've used?

I appreciate the OP's mental health issues, but this does look like something of an over-reaction to three text messages.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that I do not want a smart meter, I am under no obligation whatsoever to have one installed as is my right under the Magna Carter

Obviously smart meters had not been invented when they wrote the Magna Carter so I'm not sure how relevant this is. I imagine that at some point the government will mandate smart meters. I think they'll become like water meters where over time more people will have them than not.

AM9

Veteran Member
Having resisted requests to install a Smart Meter through the SMETS1 period, I specifically asked for a SMETS2 one to be fitted this year following the installation a PV system. If you specify that they will be used to record export energy, they will supply a SMETS2 type instead of a SMETS1 model with a promise to upgrade the firmware at some later date.
The real benefit has been visibility of our power demand at various times of the day. I'm not bothered about the instantaneous, daily or weekly cost warnings, - it's the kW & kWh that matters, compared with previous years.
I've also been able to observe the demand that automatic appliances make, e.g. washing machine/tumble dryer, dishwasher and refrigeration, especially how much more the latter uses in very hot weather.
Not once have I felt that hacking into my meter would be an issue.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I don't get the negativity. It's a meter; it measures your usage. If your usage doesn't change neither will (or should) your readings and bills. It's of benefit to the supplier middlemen as they don't have to employ (as many) meter readers, so it's a cost saving. I see no negatives here.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I don't get the negativity. It's a meter; it measures your usage. If your usage doesn't change neither will (or should) your readings and bills. It's of benefit to the supplier middlemen as they don't have to employ (as many) meter readers, so it's a cost saving. I see no negatives here.
Indeed - and you don't have to use the In Home Display if you don't want to. You can simply ignore it and let it do it's stuff in the knowledge that you will not have to submit meter readings any more and won't receive estimated bills.

daodao

Established Member
i am not convinced with the present fashion of having "smart" meters installed (except maybe in new builds) as they do not reduce bills, do not work very well with Economy 7 (which I have)
I also get regular pestering to install a smart meter, but when I have responded previously, I have been informed that smart meters are problematic when more than one tariff rate applies (e.g. Economy 7) and are not available for the Economy 10 supply that I have. I would ignore the pestering and check that you are not signed up for phone (including SMS) communications.

I've just had one installed. My previous home also had one that the landlord had arranged to have installed.

Personally I find them useful as a reminder to be careful about energy usage. They don't in themselves save energy but they do make it easy to see what you're using and spot opportunities for savings. I know you could do this by manually reading the meter regularly but I find the smart meter easier.

Not too concerned about cyber security. If someone accesses it, what value is there in knowing how much electricity I've used?

I appreciate the OP's mental health issues, but this does look like something of an over-reaction to three text messages.

Obviously smart meters had not been invented when they wrote the Magna Carter so I'm not sure how relevant this is. I imagine that at some point the government will mandate smart meters. I think they'll become like water meters where over time more people will have them than not.
Ah Magna Carter, so she didn't die in vain after all!

GB

Established Member
Over the last five days or so, I have constantly been spammed by my electric supplier intimidating me into having my existing meter changed, which works perfectly fine.

When I was out walking the dog earlier, I received a third spam text message from them (I had thought it would be from my GP as I had an x-ray on my right knee last week as I was getting pains there, maybe related to fallen arch in both my feet) and having read it which was exactly the same wording, I came on with an angina attack and collapsed to the ground.

i am not convinced with the present fashion of having "smart" meters installed (except maybe in new builds) as they do not reduce bills, do not work very well with Economy 7 (which I have), and also as it is a flat I reside in, any mucking around with the wiring (installers have been known to mess up the wiring especially for those who like me have an E7 tariff) could either compromise the fire safety of the flat, or invalidate the insurance (I rent from someone who mainly resides in Turkey, but returns to the UK every summer for 2-3 months, with my landlord's parents vacating to Turkey for 6 months afterwards. Plus anything that is to do with fire safety or insurance has to go through my landlord). The meter is in a box room/broom cupboard that has a fire door, as do all doors in the flat.

Below is the letter I have sent to the electric supplier:

I'm confused about how the texts between doctors and energy company can be confused and have "exactly the same wording". Also I don't understand how spam messages can bring on an attack...if they were constantly knocking on your door fair enough but spam texts are just the same a spam letters....just ignore.

I think you are clutching at straws about engineers messing up an compromising fire safety. I'm not saying you should get a smart meter (I don't particularly want one either and after years of ignoring them my supplier seems to have got the message) but what are you going to do if your landlord decides he wants one in all his tenants properties?

Lost property

Smart meters requirement...1 pen, 1 piece of paper, record readings. Thereafter, some basic maths ( use of a calculator is permitted as " all workings need not be shown ") as this ain't an exam ...and usage / cost appear as if by magic !

JamesT

Established Member
I also get regular pestering to install a smart meter, but when I have responded previously, I have been informed that smart meters are problematic when more than one tariff rate applies (e.g. Economy 7) and are not available for the Economy 10 supply that I have. I would ignore the pestering and check that you are not signed up for phone (including SMS) communications.
Depending on your supplier, that's out of date. Smart meters that can handle more than one tariff rate have been available for a while.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I'm confused about how the texts between doctors and energy company can be confused and have "exactly the same wording". Also I don't understand how spam messages can bring on an attack...if they were constantly knocking on your door fair enough but spam texts are just the same a spam letters....just ignore.

I think you are clutching at straws about engineers messing up an compromising fire safety. I'm not saying you should get a smart meter (I don't particularly want one either and after years of ignoring them my supplier seems to have got the message) but what are you going to do if your landlord decides he wants one in all his tenants properties?

I had thought the text message was possibly from my GP practice/NHS Scotland, as I do receive them sometimes.

The exact same wording that was referred to was the three messages from the electric supplier.

I had never signed up for any marketing spam at all.

Also, the flat I rent is the only one that my landlord has here, hence how the existing meter is a prepayment meter as she mainly resides in Turkey now. The only reason I registered with the company was so as I could receive the Warm Homes grant as I am in receipt of PIP.

The electric company I am with is the one that is/was based in Cathcart, Glasgow and was took over by a Spanish firm.

The three text messages were received within a space of five days. It would not have been so bad if it was one per month.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed - and you don't have to use the In Home Display if you don't want to. You can simply ignore it and let it do it's stuff in the knowledge that you will not have to submit meter readings any more and won't receive estimated bills.

I unplugged my in home display as it had no effect on anything and it was in itself a waste of (a very small amount of) energy.

However I love having a smart meter because it means no estimated bills, with no downside that I can see. So assuming your landlord is amenable I'd go for it.

(If, and it is a big if, they want to do anything "conspiratorial" using them, then they'll become mandatory, so that really shouldn't concern you for now)

Darandio

Established Member
At least the supplier will get a good laugh when they read the letter. Invoking the Magna Carta is a return to those comedy shopkeepers during lockdown.

AM9

Veteran Member
I unplugged my in home display as it had no effect on anything and it was in itself a waste of (a very small amount of) energy.

However I love having a smart meter because it means no estimated bills, with no downside that I can see. So assuming your landlord is amenable I'd go for it.

(If, and it is a big if, they want to do anything "conspiratorial" using them, then they'll become mandatory, so that really shouldn't concern you for now)
I think variable tariffs (or just multiple-part tariffs) will become the norm or even mandatory if there is any rationing of energy. To get sufficient take-up, the tariffs might be presented as peak rates with discounted rates available to those with meters that can change tariff on instruction via their GSM connection. No smart meter, - all top whack charges.

MikeWM

Established Member

The value is knowing *when* you're using energy and how much. That would allow someone to build up a profile of when you're usually in, when you're usually out, when you're asleep, when you eat your meals, etc. Very helpful to a potential burglar, to give a trivial example.

Perhaps other people have issues with this for some reason, but I don't personally have an issue with the 1 minute it takes to read my meters and the 2 minutes it takes to submit them on the website, 4 times a year. Compared to most things in the modern world, 12 minutes a year isn't particularly onerous to me. I don't have a problem that needs 'solving' with a 'smart' meter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think variable tariffs (or just multiple-part tariffs) will become the norm or even mandatory if there is any rationing of energy. To get sufficient take-up, the tariffs might be presented as peak rates with discounted rates available to those with meters that can change tariff on instruction via their GSM connection. No smart meter, - all top whack charges.

Am I the only one who sees no issue at all with the idea of variable tariffs? No different from peak/off peak train tickets, nor indeed from the existing Economy 7/10.

And yes, it'd be done that way round, with smart meter users offered Advance-like discounts at certain times, while "refuseniks" would be maximum price all day.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's been a long time since I worked in customer complaints but I guarantee that letter will be passed around the office for a laugh. Anything with Magna Carta in is greenink by default.

The best option is always to modify your communication preferences with the supplier and add yourself to the smart meter refusal list. That's something you can do by phone or by sending a quick email. I have done this myself because I don't want a smart meter at the moment.

Lucan

Established Member
whether - especially now electricity is so much more expensive - it would be worth having one
They don't save any electricity, they are just another way of taking readings as far as the customer is concerned, for now. But at some time in the future the suppliers will use it to cut you off on the fly if they think you are using too much. We are facing a serious generating shortfall in the not-too-distant future.

The reason the suppliers are nagging us to install the things is because the government has placed a requirement on them to convert us all to smart meters by such-and-such a date (which keeps moving because it is impractical). They (the government) fondly believe it will save electricity.

I've also been able to observe the demand that automatic appliances make, e.g. washing machine/tumble dryer, dishwasher and refrigeration,
You can find that out simply by looking at the appliance specifications, and usually on a plate on the back. But don't bother, just bear in mind that these things simply use a lot of electricity. So what will you do? Stop washing your clothes and dishes? Turn off your fridge and let things rot?

It's of benefit to the supplier middlemen as they don't have to employ (as many) meter readers,
I haven't seen a meter reader for years. Where I live now they have not come because of Covid, and where I lived before I had only submitted my own readings (to SWEB) since about 2014 (apart from the final reading befofe I moved out).

you will not have to submit meter readings any more and won't receive estimated bills
Are you saying that you don't check your meter when you get a bill? If you don't like their estimate then you can always send an actual reading (which I always make a note of anyway). It doesn't take long on-line. But I don't really care if the estimate is out because it corrects itself in the long run. But I do tend to correct it if it is an under-estimate - because the price is always rising.

Ironic that in one breath they claim that smart meters will allow us to monitor our usage on a minute-by-minute basis (as if I've nothing better to do than sit watching it all day), but in the next breath that they say the smart meter can send meter readings without our having the bother of looking at the things. They need to make their minds up.

The people I know with smart meters soon got bored with checking them anyway.

87 027

Ironic that in one breath they claim that smart meters will allow us to monitor our usage on a minute-by-minute basis (as if I've nothing better to do than sit watching it all day), but in the next breath that they say the smart meter can send meter readings without our having the bother of looking at the things. They need to make their minds up.

It isn't a contradiction. The smart meter sends a signal to your in-home display every 30 seconds or so to give you an indication of consumption at a point in time and the price of that consumption. Think of it as the 'rev counter' in a car. You are entirely free to disregard the information and turn off the in-home display.

Separately, the smart meter records your consumption and reports it to the energy company at an interval you can define. Ultimately the intention is to enable 'time of use' tariffs as already happens with (some) commercial tariffs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Separately, the smart meter records your consumption and reports it to the energy company at an interval you can define. Ultimately the intention is to enable 'time of use' tariffs as already happens with (some) commercial tariffs.

No, the main intention is to save money employing the staff that go round and read meters, though increasingly rarely. That option (which I don't see an issue with, it's only an extension of Economy 7 etc) is secondary.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Of course any new meters fitted now are going to be smart meters. They just may not have the smart functionality enabled at the point of installation. So best hope your current one doesn't fail as otherwise you'll be getting one anyway!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Smartmeter refuseniks should read the small print before changing suppliers. It's not unknown for it to include a requirement to have a smartmeter installed.

87 027

Longer term the aim is for a 'smarter' energy system and this means more fine grained control over both time of use and which circuits are in use in a premises (use your search engine of choice to look up ALCS and HCALCS). Saving the costs of someone reading a meter is an administrative bonus, depending on your point of view

nlogax

Established Member
Would bloody love a smart meter but my specific provider doesn't support remote reads for Economy 7 properties. Right now I really don't want to be changing providers..

MotCO

Established Member
One thing I would advise you to do is to get in touch with them and have a note of your meter serial number to hand (take a photo too). If there's a discrepancy between the date on the sticker and the date that they have on file, it could indicate that there has been a meter exchange which hasn't been recorded properly. It may not cause any issues now, but if there is a problem with the meter at a later date and it needs to be replaced, it could cause you some issues.
Your meter should be identified on your invoices, so this should be an easy check.

My concern about smart meters is that there is an assumed ability that they can turn off individual customers rather than a whole area when there is insufficient power generation. Is there any truth in this or is it an urban myth?

I did switch to a water meter since it was cheaper than the rateable value based charges. It was possible to make a saving on using water smart meters, but there is no way of making savings by switching to a smart gas or electricity meeting whatever the adverts say (can we complain to the Advertising Stanards Authority?) other than watching the numbers on the meter and deciding not to have a cup of tea/ have a bath/ do the washing etc.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
My lord - this has to be the most ridiculous post I’ve ever read on this forum, and that is really saying something!

A sob story about PTSD and angina and asserting your “rights” under the Magna Carta in response to some text messages about a smart meter? Sometimes you wonder whether universal suffrage was a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.