• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smart TV Powerline Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hmm, one socket is upstairs plugged into an extension lead near the TV, the other one is downstairs plugged into an extension lead and the ethetnet cable into a slot at the back of the router

The time between pressing the pair button downstairs and then pressing the one upstairs is about 20 - 30 seconds, too short of time?

I'm wondering whether to try a different one instead? That one I bought on Ebay in the link above if it still works, mentions it comes with a CD and quick start guide, but all it had was the two plugs and two ethernet cables, in a polybag, no box.

With no starter guide I was working it out by myself but in regards to if they have been set up already paired don't know, with no box suggests maybe its already been used.

Maybe I should have got from TP Link shop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Hmm, one socket is upstairs plugged into an extension lead near the TV, the other one is downstairs plugged into an extension lead and the ethetnet cable into a slot at the back of the router
Just to double check - is either of those extension leads fitted with a surge suppressor? If so, try plugging the home plugs directly into the socket. Surge suppressors and home plugs do not play nicely together.

Ediswan

Established Member
I'm wondering whether to try a different one instead? That one I bought on Ebay in the link above if it still works, mentions it comes with a CD and quick start guide, but all it had was the two plugs and two ethernet cables, in a polybag, no box.

With no starter guide I was working it out by myself but in regards to if they have been set up already paired don't know, with no box suggests maybe its already been used.

Maybe I should have got from TP Link shop?
All that is left on ebay is the description and a picture, which does show a box. In case yours has been 'fiddled with' using software, you could try hardware reset as described in the user guide. You may still need to pair the devices. The user guide is available here: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wpa4220/

JohnMcL7

The powerline light being off does, as you deduced, indicate that they aren't speaking with each other. What's always worked for me is plugging the two units in to sockets within easy reach of each other, pressing the pairing button on one, waiting five seconds or so, then pressing the button on the other. I think sometimes if there isn't a delay between presses both units end up trying to be the 'base station' and neither ends up as a client.

This is what I do as well to minimise any problems in the power cabling and they don't need anything cabled in as you can check the powerline light coming on to make sure they're paired.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
All that is left on ebay is the description and a picture, which does show a box. In case yours has been 'fiddled with' using software, you could try hardware reset as described in the user guide. You may still need to pair the devices. The user guide is available here: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wpa4220/

Hmm manual is completely different to the ones I have, isn't wireless or have WiFi and only one port

I think one of the extension cables is a surge one yes, in which case soon I'll try it at the wall at both ends and see if that helps

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Apologies, I missed that you bought something else. Try this: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-pa411kit/ Factory reset instructions are on p4.

Having noted that, eliminating the surge suppressor has to be the next thing to try.

No worries sorry for the confusion!

I shall try putting them in the wall sockets first and see what happens.

I can't really plug them next to each other, as I'd need a very long ethernet cable to run to the router downstairs

najaB

Veteran Member
I can't really plug them next to each other, as I'd need a very long ethernet cable to run to the router downstairs
The plugging them in next to each other is only for pairing. Once they are paired you would then move one back downstairs.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The plugging them in next to each other is only for pairing. Once they are paired you would then move one back downstairs.

Ahhh! sorry I see now thank you

Right so I've plugged each end into a wall socket, so the TV is plugged into an extension and the TP Link unit is connected to the wall socket and cable running to the TV Ethernet port. Downstairs is connected to wall socket and ethetnet connected to router.

Was looking good at first as I turned the switch on downstairs on the wall socket and all 3 LED lights lit up, brilliant!

Upstairs I turned on the wall socket, and no ethernet or powerline light on, but then eventually all 3 LEDs came on, but this lasted about 5 seconds and the powerline light went out.

I checked downstairs and the powerline light went out there as well.

So I unplugged both ends and tried again, and each time I plug it back in I get a poweline LED come on, but it soon disappears, and just back to where I was before

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Upstairs I turned on the wall socket, and no ethernet or powerline light on, but then eventually all 3 LEDs came on, but this lasted about 5 seconds and the powerline light went out.

I checked downstairs and the powerline light went out there as well.

So I unplugged both ends and tried again, and each time I plug it back in I get a poweline LED come on, but it soon disappears, and just back to where I was before
Try plugging them both in to sockets in the same room and see if the powerline light stays on.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Tried plugging them in to my wall socket next to each other, all I get is the 'on' light, no ethernet light (obviously) and no poweline light either

najaB

Veteran Member
Tried plugging them in to my wall socket next to each other, all I get is the 'on' light, no ethernet light (obviously) and no poweline light either
Hmm... that's very interesting. Try pairing them again when they're next to each other. If that doesn't work then they're probably faulty.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hmm... that's very interesting. Try pairing them again when they're next to each other. If that doesn't work then they're probably faulty.

Doesn't seem to want to play next to each other, one pairing light flashes but the other isn't doing it, might buy that WiFi one I linked earlier in the post instead, still if I need ethernet cables I have some!

Ediswan

Established Member
Doesn't seem to want to play next to each other, one pairing light flashes but the other isn't doing it, might buy that WiFi one I linked earlier in the post instead, still if I need ethernet cables I have some!
Not promising, but do try the factory reset on both units.

If that fails, buy new from a reputable source. I like eBuyer, but there are many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.