• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smartphone contactless charging at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I was at London Bridge Station on Saturday, 17/7, when I noticed that the small tables attached to the seating on the ground floor, i.e. past the ticketline, had a sign indicating that they could charge smartphones contactlessly, and they did. Do any other stations have this facility?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I was at London Bridge Station on Saturday, 17/7, when I noticed that the small tables attached to the seating on the ground floor, i.e. past the ticketline, had a sign indicating that they could charge smartphones contactlessly, and they did. Do any other stations have this facility?
Not seen that anywhere else yet, and if it is, it must only be at larger, busier stations only.

Also, what models of mobile phones can now utilise contactless recharging?

Can't imagine such a facility available at somewhere like Denton or Teesside Airport. ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
Also, what models of mobile phones can now utilise contactless recharging?

Certainly all the latest iPhones (8 upwards) and a lot of the new Samsung’s do. Though I hope it’s quicker, and more effective, than the wireless table chargers on SWR, none of which I’ve successfully managed to get a decent charge of my 11pro out of.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Certainly all the latest iPhones (8 upwards) and a lot of the new Samsung’s do. Though I hope it’s quicker, and more effective, than the wireless table chargers on SWR, none of which I’ve successfully managed to get a decent charge of my 11pro out of.

I was there for about 15 minutes, and whilst it did charge, I couldn't tell how effective it was

Sankey Wire

Seem to recall the waiting room / naff pub at Crewe having them when I was last there in summer 2019.

SAPhil

Not too sure I'd want to leave my phone on display on a table at London Bridge!

Established Member
Stations that have that type of new style seating have the wireless charging (and USB socket), I've seen them at Paddington and Kings Cross as well.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I noticed this on the new seating at Kings Cross when I was there last week. Unfortunately the charger wasn't working where I was sat.

The only slight downside of this is smartphones charging on tables on a large station concourse are ripe for being snatched by criminals passing by....

route101

Established Member
I think the LNER lounge at Edinburgh has wireless charging, my phone does not seem to work with it.

Randomer

I think it was common to all the LNER 1st class lounges at one point, built into the tables. Certainly the ones I can remember going to pre-Covid; Kings Cross, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Leeds.

They were one of the older, slower, charging standards though.

D6975

Established Member
I noticed this on the new seating at Kings Cross when I was there last week. Unfortunately the charger wasn't working where I was sat.

The only slight downside of this is smartphones charging on tables on a large station concourse are ripe for being snatched by criminals passing by....
I think that putting your phone in the bottom of your bag and putting your bag on the table might be the sensible option.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think that putting your phone in the bottom of your bag and putting your bag on the table might be the sensible option.
Perhaps, but then the whole bag is a sitting target. Given the size of the tables you'd struggle to place anything more than a small handbag on them.

jfowkes

I was there for about 15 minutes, and whilst it did charge, I couldn't tell how effective it was
It's not that fast. There's a fundamental limit to how much energy you can transfer between two coils in that kind of configuration.

Wireless charging works best to keep your phone topped up it's going to sit for a few hours on a charger, e.g. when you're sitting at your desk at work.

camflyer

Stations that have that type of new style seating have the wireless charging (and USB socket), I've seen them at Paddington and Kings Cross as well.

And Liverpool Street. All part of the "Green Furniture Concept" which is being introduced at main stations

Failed Unit

Established Member
Grantham has them in the southbound waiting room, but on the day I was there none of them had power to them which made me think why?

Status
Not open for further replies.