• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoke

Do you indulge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

As a question and to satisfy ole numnuts curiosity. How many of you have indulged in the puffing habit?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Disgusting habit - then people have the cheek to complain that they're stopped from smoking. I couldn't care less if they kill themselves, but don't take me with them.

Sprog

Established Member
Now and again dudey..when im at a pub or party/drinking in general/or stressed if i get offered one.

Beleive they call it 'social smoking'

Table 52

I personally don't smoke but have nothing against people who do.
Reason is that if everybody stopped smoking tomorrow, the government would lose so much money from the tax gained on ciggies, that it would have to put up something like income tax.

In short, keep smoking, keep my tax down!

Met Driver

Established Member
I don't smoke, never have done, and don't plan to in the future. That doesn't mean to say I have a problem with it - in general I don't mind others smoking around me. A few of my mates have the odd fag and it doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is people who ignore polite requests or notices clearly stating that smoking is prohibited in that area - especially on trains/stations!!! :mad:

ikar

There isn't any right anwser for this, I DID smoke for about a month, but after that period they started to smell badly etc. plus my personal capabilities decresed (stamina, endurance etc.).

RE Cancer: You can smoke thirty cigarets daily for you whole life, and don't get cancer, or any other sickness, and die happily due to oldness; and you can never touch cigarets but you can get cancer young. Depends on your genes.

And as the most of the members are young, I see that the results will be NO mostly.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've had a few puffs of a few of my own cigarettes - Marlboro Gold (law says they can no longer be called "Lite/light/Mild"), about a year ago when I was feeling low at home, but nothing since - I don't like eating in smoking establishments, though should I ever feel the need to, I probably would again, hopefully without addiction.

My Nan started smoking in 1931, when she was 14 and died in 2005 of an unrelated illness.

My Mum makes my Dad smoke outside, but my sister does it any room downstairs in her house :p
One thing I don't like is people smoking in cars, especially if you're in the back.

Simming

I sometimes get a packet of Hamlets For College and parties.

and sometimes I splash out and get large one from the local tabacconists

A few of my friends smoke, but I couldn't care less really, I just take the **** out of them for it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, my sister was telling me that in her days, it was the "done" thing to smoke, yet at my old school a girl had the pee taken out of her, she was called things like Smokey (her real name was Sophie) :p

Tom B

Established Member
People who smoke at our school often have the urine extracted from them - the school stop year 11s and below from smoking by not letting them offsite, obviously smoking onsite is banned, including on fields and buses. They tend to deal with miscreants harshly - I think the last person found smoking was suspended for a couple of weeks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Smokers corners on the playground, which I avoided - in winter too cold and in summer too hot - were known by everyone.

My college has a smokers yard which they've tried to make as unplesant as possible.

Nick W

Established Member
Table 52 said:
I personally don't smoke but have nothing against people who do.
Reason is that if everybody stopped smoking tomorrow, the government would lose so much money from the tax gained on ciggies, that it would have to put up something like income tax.

In short, keep smoking, keep my tax down!

If everybody stopped smoking tomorrow, the NHS might just have enough beds.

TheSlash

Established Member
Used to be abit of a social smoker but i stopped all that.
I've previously let my mates smoke in my car but i've put a stop to it now.
I hate people smoking in eating areas
What really ****es me off is people smoking in the van at work, especially when i am driving :dmage:

Dennis

Established Member
It might be true that the NHS may have more spare beds if no one smoked but we all have to die of something and unfortunately a spell in hospital often precedes this.

The health issues surrounding smoking are well known (after all 1/3 of the fag packet has to display warnings to the effect of 'smoking killss) and as a smoker, I accept the risks.

By the same logic, health warnings should be applied to all other items which may be consumed yet which are potentially hazardous (anything with salt, fat, carcinogenic additives etc etc). Included in this would also be alcohol - go down casualty on a Friday or Saturday night and you can see the resources required to deal with the effects of alcohol quite clearly.

And as for leisure pastimes, my workplace experience suggests more time is lost from work because of these than other illnesses (broke my leg skiing, did my back in gardening etc).

What about the risks associated with road transport - the combination of two killer effects, namely pollution and collision.

Considering the other anti-smoking argument, I accept is is antisocial in terms of potential health effects (passive smoking) and the associated odour. I will not normally smoke in enclosed places where no else is (except my own home). What I do find difficult to accept is hypocritical behaviour from others who criticise me smoking yet indulge in activities which I find offensive.

The Gricer

There's one choice missing from this poll and that is 'Used to smoke but have given up'. I'd have thought there might be a fair few (me included) in that category.

Frank

16CSVT2700

Established Member
ikar said:
There isn't any right anwser for this, I DID smoke for about a month, but after that period they started to smell badly etc. plus my personal capabilities decresed (stamina, endurance etc.).

RE Cancer: You can smoke thirty cigarets daily for you whole life, and don't get cancer, or any other sickness, and die happily due to oldness; and you can never touch cigarets but you can get cancer young. Depends on your genes.

And as the most of the members are young, I see that the results will be NO mostly.

First off smoking for about a month isn't that long so to be honest I don't think you'd see a decrease in stamina and endurance.

Secondly, how can you not notice the smell when you first lit one up? :rolleyes:

Thirdly, I'm not a smoker, though I personally don't care if people do or don't. Their lives, their decisions. Long as they don't blow the smoke in my face :roll::angry4:

LondonBVE

Singapore Health Goverment has taken action. No smoking in toiltes, bus interchange and some prohibted places like train stations! You want to smoke in this prohibted area oh yes you can, prepare your money!. They also going to do this soon, every food centre will let out some place for people to smoke.
That means if you want to smoke you must go to the odd one out table that allows you to smoke others tables is unacceptable. For my food centre case, 10 tables were let out for smokers.

Anyway my father used to smoke but he give up due to MONEY! One packet of ciggie can cause SD$8.50 (£2.88). Plus my father monthly salary is only SD$1200 (£406.85) so he need to give up for this family.

P.S Whatever a smoker is beside me, I will always stop breathing. It for my health, as they have said if you breath in the ciggig smoke you are known as a second smoker.

So stay healthy, don't smoke.

AlexS

Established Member
Rofl, you could be dead before they've finished a Cuban cigar, I'd just walk away, or borrow one meself!

People have to die or the world will break, to put it simply, sad but true. Curing all disease must not be allowed to happen (if indeed it is possible!) unless we develop a suitable means of colonising other planets, 'cause we can't sustain the linked population explosion!

Status
Not open for further replies.