• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoking Areas in Airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
There seem to be several Airports in the UK that have airside smoking facilities I have just found out Belfast International to add to the list.

However with the exception of Manchester none of the big ones Heathrow or Gatwick or Edinburgh etc provide this service.

If you are delayed it is nice to be able to have a quick smoke before take off.

We are talking terrace or outdoor here not inside so it won't affect non-smokers.

Newcastle has joined the club as well - there must be a demand or Airports wouldn't be opening them up.

It seems BAA are the worst offender - or is Newcastle BAA Run.

Anyone got any insight into why this is such a hit and miss situation ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
It's down to the individual airport, when the internal smoking ban came in there was 14 month gap with no smoking areas airside, and this came in at the same time as all landside facilities going airside (at Terminal 2).

Was quite fun as a member of staff when there was delays, "Is there a smoking area?", "Yes, but you need one of these to get there" (Pointing at my airside pass that takes me to the staff airside smoking area, zone 6)

Then they put one in at T2 that was formed up from a gap between departure gates at Gate 300 (Bus departures), but this is very wire fencey compared to some of the terraces I have seen at Fuerteventura or on the Canary Islands. If they do build the extensions to T2 one hopes they put in a better smoking terrace that's actually outside, you struggle to fit 20 - 30 pax in the T2 smoking area as it is.

Is a slight bit ironic that the're using HM Prison class fencing to prevent FOD getting onto the field.

PS: Newcastle is 51% owned by the councils and 49% by Copenhagen airport. Manchester is 100% owned by members of the AGMA (55% Manchester and 5% Other LAs)

Established Member
Newcastle at one time had a balcony where you could go and watch the planes, and the old cafe area had smoking and non-smoking areas. When they redeveloped the airport a few years back the balcony was closed off.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Newcastle at one time had a balcony where you could go and watch the planes, and the old cafe area had smoking and non-smoking areas. When they redeveloped the airport a few years back the balcony was closed off.
They did in a lot of places, until the Government of the day closed them all as part of their kneejerk panic response to the Menace from Terrorism, apparently fearing that Terrorists would stand on the balcony and aim rocket launchers at the planes or something. It doesn't matter whether there was no logic to this whatsoever, the Government was seen to be Doing Something.

Established Member
They did in a lot of places, until the Government of the day closed them all as part of their kneejerk panic response to the Menace from Terrorism, apparently fearing that Terrorists would stand on the balcony and aim rocket launchers at the planes or something. It doesn't matter whether there was no logic to this whatsoever, the Government was seen to be Doing Something.

Newcastle's was removed a long time before that happened - due to the redevelopment. Instead, it made way for more duty-free (which of course is the real money spinner).

WestCoast

Established Member

I know it's quite silly really. The DfT (who is responsible for overseeing airport security) just follows whatever the States are doing, while the rest of World tends to ignore America on these matters where possible.

Mind you, Manchester has an excellent viewing park, it's really good (and free to enter on foot).

Butts

Veteran Member
Newcastle's was removed a long time before that happened - due to the redevelopment. Instead, it made way for more duty-free (which of course is the real money spinner).

Eagles Bar Diner has a smoking area post security at Newcastle Airport:p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Didn't know any of them did airside, Southampton certainly doesn’t

East Midlands, Newcastle, Manchester and Belfast International have been identified anyone know of any other UK Airport "Smoking Spots" post security?

I need to build up my portfolio for future reference :p

Nym

Established Member
Is it well patronised hence indicating a demand for such a facility ?

Very, when I was there in the mornings (mainly business flights to the US etc, well, more business ones than tourist ones in a morning) there was usually a que to get into it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Very, when I was there in the mornings (mainly business flights to the US etc, well, more business ones than tourist ones in a morning) there was usually a que to get into it.

So we have a facilty that harms no one apart from those who choose to avail themselves of it's services why can't all UK Airports do the same ?

What form does it take re queue - is it a "cage" like East Midlands ?

Nym

Established Member
I'd imagine so, it belongs to the same company (MAG Plc.) and your discription fits. The only adverse affects are that it causes discomfort to those using Gate 300 while outside, as there is a lot more smoke than they thought there would be. A better option with the current terminal layout would be for a larger 'cage' at Gate 300D (this is behind the lifts as apposed to infront of them like 300A - 300C) and closing 300D to provide this, placing a large external area with better air flow, allowing excess smoke to disperse properly. And there is space to do this.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd imagine so, it belongs to the same company (MAG Plc.) and your discription fits. The only adverse affects are that it causes discomfort to those using Gate 300 while outside, as there is a lot more smoke than they thought there would be. A better option with the current terminal layout would be for a larger 'cage' at Gate 300D (this is behind the lifts as apposed to infront of them like 300A - 300C) and closing 300D to provide this, placing a large external area with better air flow, allowing excess smoke to disperse properly. And there is space to do this.

Perhaps they could use some of the profits they make on duty free snouts to finance it - their margins make WH Smith look competitive :p

Nym

Established Member
No they don't!

Have you seen WHSmith's margins????

MANT1 is close to moving up to Air Premium, that would be a massive price increase to the same levels of Heathrow and Gatwick!

Butts

Veteran Member
No they don't!

Have you seen WHSmith's margins????

MANT1 is close to moving up to Air Premium, that would be a massive price increase to the same levels of Heathrow and Gatwick!

When World Duty Free are buying snouts at about say £15 sleeve and knocking them out at £30 plus that is serious money.

Status
Not open for further replies.