• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoking in Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have just been watching Question Time and the BMA proposals to lobby the Government to introduce a ban on smoking in private cars came up.

I don't think this should be legislated for , and anyone who smokes in a car with small children in demonstrates the sort of behaviour that should lead to a review of whether they are "fit and proper" custodians of children.

If an Adult wants to smoke in their vehicle whilst alone that is a decision for them to make and not "the nanny state".

The ignorance of non-smokers never fails to amaze me. One lady expressed the view that lighting a cigarette whilst driving was a hazardous pursuit that could lead to a major RTA. I wonder has she ever unwrapped a boiled sweet and popped it in her mouth at the wheel. This takes longer and more concentration than lighting a ciggie :oops:

The logical extension of banning smoking with children in a car would be to do the same in the home - is that the zealots ultimate ambition :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
The only think a smoking ban in any vehicle would ensure is that the treasury would have a constant flow of money coming in from people caught smoking in a car.

Another thing. Who would be responsible is a passenger was observed smoking? Would the driver get the fine (and points), or would the passenger? I ask this, because you have the bizarre situation where the driver gets the fine and points for any passenger not wearing a seatbelt. If someone in my car doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, that's their choice ....

Also, how would it be enforced? Would every copper just be on the lookout for smoking? I would much rather they looked out for everything (dangerous driving, excessive speeding, stolen/non roadworthy vehicles,etc) than look for offences that take little time to deal with and bump up their "success" rate.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If an Adult wants to smoke in their vehicle whilst alone that is a decision for them to make and not "the nanny state".

I couldn't agree more. It's as if the Government thinks we are all unable to think for ourselves.

I can scarcely believe this is one of the BMA's priorities. Thousands of people die in cars each year - by crashing into each other.

Butts

Veteran Member
I couldn't agree more. It's as if the Government thinks we are all unable to think for ourselves.

I can scarcely believe this is one of the BMA's priorities. Thousands of people die in cars each year - by crashing into each other.

No doubt thay were all in the process of lighting cigarettes prior to the collisions :p

Seriously though this "lack of nicotine" could lead to "fag rage" and cause more accidents.

Last edited:

43021HST

Established Member
I fail to see how smoking in a car can be dangerous, in fact it could be the opposite, where if someone smokes whilst driving it could calm them down. I'm sick of all this oppresive legislation going through 'because its good for you'.

As one famous philospher said "There is more chance of a tyrannical dictator feeling guilty for his oppresion but if that oppresion is labled as being good for you, the politician doesnt have to worry about guilt.

Badger

One lady expressed the view that lighting a cigarette whilst driving was a hazardous pursuit that could lead to a major RTA.

Well, yes, it is. As is, as you said, unwrapping a boiled sweet and popping it in your mouth as you drive.

chris89

Established Member
I can't see how it could posibly be policed overal.

Barely catch people not wearing seatbelts or using mobile phones next to the ears.

If someone wants to smoke in their own private cars let them do it.

Chris

Smethwickian

I really hate smoking and am very glad indeed it is banned in workplaces and public buildings.

But private cars? How on earth would that be policed?

And will they next stop me taking a swig of water, changing channels on the radio or singing along tunelessly to a CD while driving? Actually, perhaps that last one would be better for everyone....

Butts

Veteran Member
I really hate smoking and am very glad indeed it is banned in workplaces and public buildings.

But private cars? How on earth would that be policed?

And will they next stop me taking a swig of water, changing channels on the radio or singing along tunelessly to a CD while driving? Actually, perhaps that last one would be better for everyone....

I think if the act of someone lighting a cigarette caused them to drive erratically it could already be covered by dangerous driving ??? in the same way a lady could be lifted for applying makeup while driving or a man shaving.

As for lighting a cigarette when driving (without kids) I have done it that many times it poses no threat to other road users - just my health :p

Just a thought how would convertibles fare in any proposed legislation :idea:

Established Member
I think if the act of someone lighting a cigarette caused them to drive erratically it could already be covered by dangerous driving ??? in the same way a lady could be lifted for applying makeup while driving or a man shaving.

That would be driving without due care and attention.

Badger

I think though cigarettes are admittedly a special case, since with in car lighters only one hand is needed. It doesn't quite take as much attention off the road as lighting a fag with a jippo.

Edit: zippo not jippo!

Last edited:

Clint

When I was teacher-training some lefties were saying that if an adult smokes in their own house in front of their children then it was tantamount to child abuse!

It doesn't seem to matter that children walking to school will breathe in fumes from car exhausts or waste incinerators.

Mind you, these were the same sort of brains that suggested that bad behaviour in classrooms was the fault of the teacher, not the pupils.

Butts

Veteran Member
I think though cigarettes are admittedly a special case, since with in car lighters only one hand is needed. It doesn't quite take as much attention off the road as lighting a fag with a jippo.

I take it you are referring to a "Zippo Lighter" not one of our travelling fraternity:p

A lot of cars today you actually have to opt for a smokers kit (ashtray.lighter)
as they don't come as standard.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When I was teacher-training some lefties were saying that if an adult smokes in their own house in front of their children then it was tantamount to child abuse!

It doesn't seem to matter that children walking to school will breathe in fumes from car exhausts or waste incinerators.

Mind you, these were the same sort of brains that suggested that bad behaviour in classrooms was the fault of the teacher, not the pupils.

I think quite a few righties would agree with them on this - they can control the fumes in the house but not on the street :idea:

Having said this both my parents smoked in the house when I was a child and I turned out relatively unscathed. The risk is there but greatly over egged.

The change has been in social attitudes for better or worse.

It would be my guess that the higher the social class the lower the incidence of smoking in the presence of children would be. Whether this is a social or educational or cultural issue I will leave others to ponder :p

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't really agree with it myself.

With regards to the smoking ban, I've never seen why they didn't allow a mechanically ventilated room away from the bar (to protect staff) for punters. Seems vindictive to me.

I'm also not against a smoking carriage in a train.

I think keeping staff away from smoke is as it should be, but if a seperate area can be provided for smokers I'm not against it.

Butts

Veteran Member
I don't really agree with it myself.

With regards to the smoking ban, I've never seen why they didn't allow a mechanically ventilated room away from the bar (to protect staff) for punters. Seems vindictive to me.

I'm also not against a smoking carriage in a train.

I think keeping staff away from smoke is as it should be, but if a seperate area can be provided for smokers I'm not against it.

I'd don a "tin hat" if I were you - personally I agree with everything you've said. However there is no going back you'll have to move to Poland where all your requirements would be met :p

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd don a "tin hat" if I were you - personally I agree with everything you've said. However there is no going back you'll have to move to Poland where all your requirements would be met :p

ha ha, That's true - but that's just the way I see it. I'm not a smoker and my view of smoking is more about the right to do it than the act itself. I am very worried about the effect of smoking bans on pubs and feel that smokers should be catered for "indoors" (but away from the bar).

And lets not fool ourselves. When they've finished with the smokers, they'll start on the drinkers !!!

Butts

Veteran Member
Was there some statement made that even if a car window is opened, some pathogens from the cigarette smoke still remain within the interior confines of a vehicle for far longer than was first considered to be the case?

The aroma certainly remains so your theory probably has some credence. It also creates a wind tunnel so when you flick the ash out it comes straight back in and covers the rear passengers :p

Geezertronic

Established Member
I'd imagine they are quite insignificant or they would have been trumpeting them as part of the campaign:p

Lets be honest, the campaign to stop people using their mobiles while driving hasn't been a success (I must see 1/2 dozen a day at least including on the motorways) so I doubt stopping people from smoking while driving is a definite non starter

Status
Not open for further replies.