• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smoking to be banned on GNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4095216.stm

Train company to stub out smoking

Train operator GNER says it will make its trains smoke-free from 29 August, after passenger consultation.
The company's research had shown more than 90% of passengers do not smoke and that most want smoking on trains to be abolished.

Customer complaints about smoking had risen by 172% during the past two years, as tolerance reduced.

The smoking ban was welcomed by the Rail Passenger Committee's East Coast Panel.

Customer feedback had also suggested smoking on trains could be a deterrent to travel, GNER said.

Diminishing numbers

GNER's chief operating officer Jonathan Metcalfe said: "Up until now we have tried hard to accommodate the diminishing number of people who wish to smoke whilst travelling with us.

"But it is now very clear the majority of our passengers are in favour of a total ban on smoking on our trains.

"We have responded accordingly."

GNER's move follows similar smoking bans introduced by other public transport companies.

GNER runs passenger services on the East Coast Main Line between London Kings Cross, the East Midlands, Yorkshire and Humberside, the North East of England and Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

This is good news, although surly it would be banned once the train got over the border bridge anyway, as smoking in public places in scotland is banned.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is a great idea, as even the non-smoking cars sometimes smell smoky on GNER. Will GNER be one of the last TOCs to ban smoking on trains altogether?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
laverack2 said:
This is a great idea, as even the non-smoking cars sometimes smell smoky on GNER. Will GNER be one of the last TOCs to ban smoking on trains altogether?
More a case of the last , I don't think any other TOC does.

jonb

Established Member
AZnglia stopped somking on their services last September I believe.

Craig

Established Member
So instead of people smoking in a dedicated section of a coach with a good extraction system they'll probably start smoking in other places like toilets or just not travelling by train. Smart move.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2 problems that I've witnessed:-

1 - People delaying despatch of the train by keeping the door open as late as possible. Whenever I see this I try to help by closing the door. (e.g. "are you getting on?" as I then offer to close the door for them). I've even seen this when trains are running late and the despatchers are desperately trying to get the train away!

2 - People smoking inside the trains but with the window open, the fumes still go inside the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.