• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snälltåget officially announces Stockholm-Berlin night trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

In a Facebook post, Snälltåget has announces that while they cancel all trains to Berlin in 2020 due to the pandemic, they will introduce night trains between Stockholm and Berlin in 2021. The trains will run daily (nightly?) in June, July and August and during weekends in April, May and September.

Schedule:

Stockholm 16.20
Malmö 21.55
Höje Taastrup 22.45
Hamburg 05.50
Berlin 08.25.

Berlin 21.00
Hamburg 23.30
Höje Taastrup 06.50
Malmö 07.40
Stockholm 14.25.

In Sweden the train will also stop in Södertälje, Norrköping, Linköping, Nässjö, Alvesta, Hässleholm, Eslöv and Lund. No mention of additional stops in Denmark and Germany.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Throwing some shade at SJ in the press release I see. Looking at the timings, I doubt there will be any other stops in Denmark.

JonathanP

Really interesting news. I wonder if they will be able to use a single Vectron to work all the way through from Sweden to Germany.

I guess this means the Trelleborg - Sassnitz train ferry(and so all train ferries in Northern Europe) is over for good, gone with a whimper not a bang.

popeter45

for my February 2021 trip to Malmo sadly this wont be available i hope to ride this in july 2021 for my other trip to Malmo
the 5am hamburg arrival is annoying thou so may look into on return going full to Berlin and doubling back to Brussles for eurostar

scarby

Certainly it will provide a great link, though I hope then they won't be using the same old stock with no private compartments (unless you buy a whole couchette compartment) and no bistro on a 16 hour journey.

Veteran Member
Certainly it will provide a great link, though I hope then they won't be using the same old stock with no private compartments (unless you buy a whole couchette compartment) and no bistro on a 16 hour journey.
Looks like it's running in an existing path in Sweden, with 2hr in Malmö northbound, so presumably catering on that bit; think it will be "new" stock but presumably still no sleepers as there aren't many going spare.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
a very early stop for Hamburg.

Also very antisocial timings for possible DE/DK border controls. The daytime trains between Hamburg and Copenhagen routinely get inspected, albeit usually for targeted individuals.

Great news. I don’t mind the early stop in Hamburg... Makes UK/Sweden in a day and a half very comfortable.

popeter45

Also very antisocial timings for possible DE/DK border controls. The daytime trains between Hamburg and Copenhagen routinely get inspected, albeit usually for targeted individuals.

Great news. I don’t mind the early stop in Hamburg... Makes UK/Sweden in a day and a half very comfortable.
this basicly replaces IC 430/431 but with actual beds instead of seats
to denmark from hamburg they check passports (at 2am <() but other way around all we had was just some security team walk thru the carriage without any passport checks, i only woke up due to there torches

Cloud Strife

Established Member

If there's only one stop in Denmark, perhaps they could simply carry out border controls (if required) on people as they leave/enter the train? The proposed timings would also allow for a more reasonable time for German border controls in Hamburg Hbf.

popeter45

do the class 193 loco's snälltåget currently use have the signalling/ power systems to work in Denmark or will they lease a few EG locos from DSB?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Exactly; the main move of migrants is North, not South.

Two of my five southbound journeys Copenhagen-Hamburg in the last year have involved stops by the German police, and in one case the removal of a passenger. Oddly this happened not in a station but by a signal box on the avoiding line west of Flensburg. There seems to be space there for vehicles to stop adjacent to the track.

On Moderation
do the class 193 loco's snälltåget currently use have the signalling/ power systems to work in Denmark or will they lease a few EG locos from DSB?
Their current locos have Norway and Sweden country package only. No Denmark (no Vectrons passed here - yet) and not Germany on these locos. Not sure if the Hector Rail Tauri are cleared, though...

On Moderation
Taurus is a trademarked name for the ÖBB Euro Sprinter locos, BTW.
I’m well aware of that; it’s a mark of how well known it has become that it has become used for all ES64U/ES64U2/ES64U4 locos.

Status
Not open for further replies.