• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snaefell Mountain Railway Tram destroyed in accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Very sad news from the Snaefell mountain railway today:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/pictures-runaway-mountain-tram-crash-drama-1-7824668

Tramcar number 3 had been parked just short of the summit station this afternoon when it ran away out of control and crashed north of Bungalow station.

Fortunately there were no passengers or staff were on board - and the tram did not reach the Bungalow road crossing.

The vintage tramcar has been completely destroyed.

Services on the line, which only resumed on March 18, have been suspended.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevin5025

This is sad. These are original tram cars, on probably one of the most complete historic railways in exisitance. Thankfully no one was hurt, but a very sad day for our railway heritage.

BestWestern

Established Member
Elements of it may be salvageable as a long-term restoration project, I suppose... Are they steel undeframes?

randyrippley

Established Member
The Mountain Railway has prior art in rebuilding these cars: in 1970 Car #5 was given a completely new body by a local coachbuilder following a fire which left just the bogies and subframe. At the time it was a useful way of relearning - and handing on - old skills which had nearly been lost. This is another chance to do the same, though hopefully this time they'll use regenerative braking, not rheostatic on the "new" car

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there any further news as to what is happening with the tram?

I'm not sure what's going on with the tram but having read some of the comments under the newspaper piece in the original post it makes this forum look very calm and measured :)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not sure what's going on with the tram but having read some of the comments under the newspaper piece in the original post it makes this forum look very calm and measured :)

Yes, a few personal agendas being expressed there, I think!

Owen T

I remember travelling on one of these as a kid, good to hear its being rebuilt...

Status
Not open for further replies.