• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCB in Belgium giving free tickets for travel to elections this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
1 example is that you moved, but are still registered in the old city. It is not totally free. The NMBS charges the cost to the county/province of Belgium. Even the French buscompany TEC gives free travel. De Lijn and MIVB is not free. You have to vote in Belgium.

TheSeeker

aren't polling stations within walking distance, like they are in the UK?

Just re-reading the card I got. I don't think postal ballots are allowed. However you can nominate a proxy to vote for you if you are out of the country but they must vote for you in the local borough of the voter. Probably why this service is offered.

My polling station is at the school in the next street. My first time as a new Belgian! For some reason I am excited although it will probably be lots of shuffling in queues.

paddington

Voting is required by law here so the whole town will be there.

Voting is compuslory in Australia but I have never needed to queue when voting there, though there was a wait to enter the High Commission in London when voting over here because of the airport-style security

MarcVD

Thus is nothing new, it is like that each time we vote in Belgium.

Groningen

Established Member
The fine starts at 30 to 150 euro. If you do not vote 4 times in 15 years you can not vote for 10 years. Also he/she can not promotion if you are a civil servant.

TheSeeker

Thus is nothing new, it is like that each time we vote in Belgium.

It was new for me as I only became Belgian last year. All went well. No queues and all quite efficient. I was expecting an electronic voting machine but it was two pieces of paper and a pencil. The system of voting by list was also new for me although the last time I voted was for Tony Blair. Amazing how so many things in Belgium have a carnival atmosphere. Even at 8:30 in the morning everyone was laughing and joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.