• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCF jingle similarity to Close Encounters of the third kind 5 notes they use

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I have just been watching close Encounters of the third Kind, and hearing the five note sequence used to communicate with the aliens, thought of SNCF jingle, which has a similar short but sweet pippyness about it, is the just coincidence or is there reason for the similarity? What do people think? Know not strictly railway but thought it interesting thought.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
If you like that, you may also like this:
Dave Gilmour himself gives a video explanation here of how this music was inspired by hearing the SNCF jingle (2 minutes)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If you enjoy this sort of thing, you might like Electrique feat. Solex, Train Grand Vitesse (from 2009). I've posted a link to the music video on Dailymotion. It was actually played on BBC 6 Music many years ago.
Sounds a bit like Kraftwerk. Didn't they do a tune, Autobahn-Motorway?

Gag Halfrunt

MGV, or Musique à Grande Vitesse (High-Speed Music) is a 1993 musical composition by English composer Michael Nyman. It was commissioned by the Festival de Lille for the inauguration of the TGV North-European Paris-Lille line and was first performed by the Michael Nyman Band and the Orchestre national de Lille under Jean-Claude Casadesus on 26 September 1993.

Cdd89

Established Member
The TGV announcement sound is the same jingle but as a chime without vocals, and RER station announcement sounds are also memorable.

I had a different one going around in my head and was wondering where it was from... luckily I worked it out before it drove me insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.