SNCF Loco hauled

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Please Explain, 6 Nov 2016.

1. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

Was it really SNCF ? Their only remaining steam loco has been unavailable for years now...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

2. Gordon

Gordon Member

I think the Wednesdays service is the Train Touristique des Gorges de l'Allier. It was originally a purely SNCF promotion, but it now seems to be run by the 141R420 group, with cooperation from SNCF but the trains (at least for 2017) are diesel not steam hauled.

In the early days the service was X2800 railcar (in the latter days of their use on SNCF) and /or 66400 or 67400 + RRR .

3. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

Thanks for the information. I did stumble across a website (largely in French) about the service referred to above-I'll post a link when I'm back at my computer.

Link duly posted;

https://www.ligne-des-cevennes.com/train-touristique-gorges-de-l-allier/

Last edited: 21 May 2017
  4. Gordon

Gordon Member

This is not to be confused with the Train a Vapeur des Cevennes which is a preserved railway in the UK sense and runs on different line in the Cevennes mountains.

5. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

Anything loco hauled still at Metz or Thionville?

6. Gordon

Gordon Member

I don't think so

7. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

I think there are a few TER 200 moves extended to the north of Strasbourg. That would be corail+sybic.

8. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Sadly not now since last summer with the deletion of the Intercités de Nuit to/from Nice: ICN 4751/4882 and ICN 4251/4351 to/from Cerbère/Portbou. However, according to rail.cc the Train de Nuit from Paris is being reinstated to run weekends only to/from Cerbère only from June 09 due to local protests, better than nothing though I suppose..
    See: https://rail.cc/fr/night-train-paris-cerbere-returns/n25

And of course the other locomotive hauled trains in area were le EC Iris et Vauban as well as a daily out and back Bâle - Luxembourg TER200 which was a partial replacement for the EC 296 "Jean Monnet" that also used to run: Brussel-Luxembourg-Metz-Strasbourg-Bâle until 2011 I believe.
    All other TER200's that ran north of Strasbourg were also cut back at the same time last April, AFAIK a few also extended to Metz/Nancy. Why both these and the through Bâle-Luxembourg train were cut back to terminate at Strasbourg, I have no idea??
    I think this, along with the deletion of the two aforementioned EuroCity connections has been an extremely shortsighted decision by the SNCF as it has resulted in there now being only one direct connection (a réservation obligatoire TGV) in each direction per day between Strasbourg and Luxembourg and none at all anymore from Bâle. I know that the out and back TGV to/from Brussel via the LGV and Roissy Aeroport is the direct replacement for the EC's for through Brussel-Bâle pax with just one change to a TER200 at Strasbourg now, but what about Luxembourg? Why did the Bâle-Luxembourg TER200 also have to be cut back to Strasbourg? I know people in Luxembourg who used this and the two EC's through to Bâle regularly have not taken kindly to these changes.
    However, I believe one daily out and back TER200 diagram from Bâle-Nancy has now recently been reinstated.

From what I heard last year, the SNCB/NMBS and CFL were willing to keep the two EuroCity connections going but it was SNCF and SBB-CFF-FFS that had lost all interest as they seen these trains as an inconvenience, so pulled the plug as soon as the new LGV was operational and the last trains ran on Saturday, April 02 last year... :(

Sybic 166 making some noise, complete with flares, SNCB resto and SBB panoramic wagens with the last EC 91 Vauban (07h33 Brussel Zuid-Bâle SNCF) @ Gare de Mulhouse Ville:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnpwjp1Y0Y

The last shunt and preping for the return last EC 96 Iris @ Bâle (SNCF), a nice touch with the head message on the Sybic too. (complete with the SBB koupler's talking Baseldytsch! :lol: ):
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftn8KB8omwE

And finally a fitting send off with a hat off from le Chef de Service, the Sybic blasting it's horn while the church bells ring out as BB26166 heads back north to Luxembourg @ Mulhouse Ville with the last ever EC 96 Iris (16h21 Bâle SNCF-Brussel Zuid) :( :
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9L9_RYkQY

All credits to Monsieur Henry Daniel! :)

9. 43096

43096 Established Member

I suspect SBB's issue was with the number of times the trains were late into Basel from France. They used to fit into the IR regular interval service through to Zürich, so every time they were late SBB had to kick out an "ersatzzug" to maintain the timetable.

10. urpert

urpert Member

Very enjoyable clips, thanks for linking to those!

11. Gordon

Gordon Member

However, the same issue applies on average at least a few times a week when TGVs and ICEs are late into Basel

12. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

If the train had its end / beginning in Basel SNCF, it should not be problematic.

13. Gordon

Gordon Member

Agreed.

What should still exist is a regular-ish interval service of 200km/h Basel SNCF - Strasbourg - Metz - Luxembourg , but that needs too much financial propping up and joined up thinking which seldom occurs in western Europe these days if the service is not 'high speed'.

The other big problem is that SNCF LGVs are limited to TGV trains, so that a brisk loco hauled train can not take advantage of a bit of high speed line where suitable, as happens on the German neubaustrecken.

14. MarcVD

MarcVD Member

There are a few TGV connections per day between Luxembourg and Strasbourg. Why they are not extended all the way to Basel is beyond me...

15. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

I think he was referring to several years ago when the Iris ran on to Zürich Hbf and Chur. Going waaaaay back Le Vauban continued all the way to Milano Centrale and was also briefly diverted to Interlaken Ost for the summer season of 2007 before both were cut back to terminate at der Französischer Bahnhof in Basel, before of course being axed altogether last year. So both trains were really in a state of decline for a number of years before sadly..

Last edited: 31 May 2017
  16. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Couldn't agree more Gordon. They should never have cut that TER200 that ran to Luxembourg and back. I have no idea why they did. Ideally the two TER200's that now run in the paths of the EC's should be extended to/from Luxembourg to provide two direct Bâle-Luxembourg trains per day at 13h21 and 16h21 as before. They would also connect with the Belgian IC's to/from Brussel as well! At present, one has to change in Strasbourg and Metz and in my case a couple of months ago, Sarrebourg, and Thionville due to SNCF strikes! <(
    Unless you fit your travel plans around the TGV of course which requires additional €€€...

-On a separate note, any news on the Line 4 CC72100's and Boulogne Sur Mer BB67400's? I quite fancy another Franco diesel jaunt soon if its still not too late!

Last edited: 31 May 2017
  17. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Thanks for that Marc. I thought there was now only one direct connection in each direction between Luxembourg and Strasbourg but it would appear there is now in fact two per day with the TGV to/from Montpellier as well.
    The times are not so good though in the early/late mornings going south and early/late evening going north so the EC's were far better not just for through journeys to Bâle but Luxembourg-Strasburg pax too.

The current connections are as follows:

http://www.beluxtrains.net/indexfr.php?page=searchluxcategories

TGV 9877 07h23 Luxembourg - Marseille-Saint-Charles 15h12
    TGV 9879 11h24 Luxembourg - Montpellier Saint-Roch 19h02
    TGV 9896 10h00 Montpellier Saint-Roch - Luxembourg 17h35
    TGV 9898 16h04 Marseille-Saint-Charles - Luxembourg 23h51

Do you propose routing these TGV's into Bâle (SNCF) to reverse in order to reinstate the lost direction connections?

18. Gordon

Gordon Member

Both still running, but the Boulogne services are constantly mucked about by engineering works (ie pre-emptive work on the electrifcation of Rang - Amiens

72100 down to two out and back per day.

19. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Merci Gordon. :)

I seen from SNCF society news that the CC72100's are expected to be replaced by December but possibly earlier depending on unit deliveries, but do we have a teamscale on the Boulogne yet?

Thanks again.

20. Redonian

Redonian Member

An update on loco hauled trains at Nantes.
    The Nantes - Bordeaux trains remain loco hauled although now down to 3 each way on weekdays. 67443 and 67542 were working the trains yesterday. Only 5 coaches which looked somewhat down at heel
    The Inter Loire trains are also loco hauled. These are TER trains but branded in The timetable as Inter Loire. Again 5 coaches but they also have a cycle coach which is one of the selling points for these trains which might mean they stay loco hauled. Again only 3 trains a day each way Nantes - Orleans. Sybic 26029 was on the arrival from Orleans that I saw. This train goes on to St Nazaire. It arrived late and departed very late. Indeed whenever I have seen these trains or ridden them timekeeping has been hopeless.