SNCF Loco hauled

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Please Explain, 6 Nov 2016.

1. CC 72100

CC 72100 Established Member

Good stuff - no, it's only La Ferté-Milon and Provins that are diesel. All provins trains are bi-mode units and La Ferté-Milon is also a bi-mode shuttle to Meaux for the rest of the day so that's your lot in terms of diesel Transilien.

2. daikilo

daikilo Established Member

According to local press, the latest order for 30 Coradias will see their introduction on Toulouse-Hendaye and some services north of Bordeaux so likely replacing some more loco-hauled.

3. Gordon

Gordon Member

Note that 72049 and 72074 are absolutely not class 72100s! They are two of the three surviving original CC72000 class.

72049 dates from December 1970, so has been running unrebuilt for 46.5 years. It is just about a year younger than 67406 which is still active out of Paris Est also!

4. Fred43123

Fred43123 Member

Oops my bad. Blimey can't believe there is only 3 of them left!

5. Gordon

Gordon Member

Yes, very very sad - of the big SNCF diesels only 12 left (1 68000, 3 72000 and 8 72100)

6. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Like Gordon says, sounds like you struck gold there seeing TWO of the three surviving original machines double heading a service train out of Est! I would loved to ride behind those two all the way to Belfort. I bet they made a hell of a racket on the way out of Est?! :)

7. CC 72100

Was going to mention it yesterday - YouTube had plenty of videos on it. End of an era indeed.

8. route101

route101 Established Member

Took a peek at Gare de nord and the Amiens service is till loco hauled

9. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Yes, as are a lot of other services around Paris - but none of them will be using the Class 72100, the SNCF equivalent of a Deltic...

10. Gordon

Gordon Member

Ironically I was in Belfort overnight sun/mon on the way back from Switzerland with my other half. Pity they didn't make more of the occasion and run it on a Belfort - Paris service.

11. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Agreed Gordon,

They should have got a proper send-off and done the full historic route to Bâle (SNCF). My last ride behind one of those mythical machines was back in March on the way back from Basel, changing at Mulhouse and Belfort.

Well at least the Boulogne and La Ferté-Milon BB 67400's and remain for now..

12. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

Article on the "last day of service for SNCF CC 72000" on the Belfort line over at railcolor:
    http://railcolornews.com/2017/08/31...bleues-last-day-of-service-for-sncf-cc-72000/

I think I'd have said legendary rather than mythical, as to me, the first implies it was real, and the second that it was fictional!

Last edited: 1 Sep 2017
  13. DaiGog

DaiGog Member

Or even ran a special using the two unrebuilt 72000s on the last Saturday, Paris to Bâle (SNCF) and back, advertised to the enthusiast world! They would have filled a train doing that.

14. Gordon

Gordon Member

There are three unrebuilt still on the books: 72049, 074 and 084.

And of course, the 28th was the last day of passenger service. The Railcolor article fails to make this absolutely clear to the unititiated, nor that the three locos above are still on the books 'assigned' to AEF.

A similar situation exists with the last surviving 68000, which has been known to pop out to play occasionally on stock movement assignments.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2017
  15. CC 72100

I've seen it reported elsewhere (could have been on the TransportRail blog but honestly can't remember) that the new units have arrived to replace locos on Intercités Nantes - Bordeaux.

Apparently it is all very immediate now - does anyone know of the likelihood of IC 3852 & return IC 3835 still being hauled Monday 11th - Friday 15th September?

16. BRX

BRX Member

I'm going to have a little bit of time to kill in Lyon this week. Any recommendations? A few years back I seem to remember doing Grenoble-Lyon (I think? I may have misremembered) in one of those hauled TER sets with a diesel on the front. Is that still in operation?

17. Please Explain

Please Explain Member

Grenoble, I believe is fin several years ago.. It was an AGC unit when I was last there in 2013.
    Genève on the other hand is BB 22200 et Corails. At least that's what I got in March of this year.
    Chambéry may also produce voiture corails.. I think Monsieur Gordon will be able to share his SNCF knowledge on that once again! :)

18. Gordon

Gordon Member

The diesel use to Lyon was a fill in turn off the Chambery - Grenoble - St Marcellin TER 'shuttle', ended a while ago due to the wiring of the route.

Lyon - Grenoble was predominantly loco-hauled at one time a few years ago, and Lyon - Genève went down to just a couple of loco hauleds a day, but things have been switched round a bit, so at present AFAIK the 22200 electric loco hauled workings are spread around much more, with workings to Chambery, more frequently to Genève, and still the odd one to Grenoble. There sets are push-pull Rhone-Alpes TER Corails, with the Chambéry based MUX fitted BB22200 (not terribly photogenic as nearly all in En Voyage or 'ghost' silver grey)

Also, don't forget the workings north towards Dijon and Paris, and south towards Marseille, also still 22200 electric.

19. BRX

BRX Member

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like anything hugely exciting to check out then.

Although nicer than being on a unit I've always found the corail coaches a bit boring as no opening windows, which is one of my criteria for a "proper" train.