• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, the snooker has resumed - but can anyone explain this new look scoring system for me? I've never seen an even number of frames before!

Are we just seeing earlier stages of the tournament that would not normally be shown on TV or have they changed the system in order to get through the backlog of matches as quickly as possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

The only thing I can think of is they play in a league? I seem to remember seeing some sort of league matches in previous years and they might have had an even number of frames. I can't remember any tournaments having even numbers, there would end up being some tiebreak frames.

JamesT

Established Member
The only thing I can think of is they play in a league? I seem to remember seeing some sort of league matches in previous years and they might have had an even number of frames. I can't remember any tournaments having even numbers, there would end up being some tiebreak frames.

http://www.championshipleaguesnooker.co.uk/format/ does indeed appear to be a tournament with multiple group/league stages. Which does have the advantages of players getting multiple matches rather than turning up and being knocked out after one match, also you might have more chance to keep players within a group rather than all mingling together.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I see, thanks - never seen this before on TV. My wife watches a lot of snooker and it confused her...

As long as they don't mess around with the number of frames and the scoring for the World at the end of July...

Scotty

I see, thanks - never seen this before on TV. My wife watches a lot of snooker and it confused her...

As long as they don't mess around with the number of frames and the scoring for the World at the end of July...
Did your wife not previously watch Premier League snooker?

Trackman

Established Member
what is that thing the referee is holding?, it seems something to do with the scoring.

bearhugger

what is that thing the referee is holding?, it seems something to do with the scoring.
Just watched the ref, and she does seem to point it to the same corner of the room and press something whenever a ball is potted. Never noticed until you pointed it out.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The scoring doesn't seem to update well on screen?

Saw one bit earlier where it seemed to add only six points for a black ( 90 to 96 ) and then went blank, presumably for the correction, but then showed - in the space of a few seconds - 97.... 90.... 93.... 94...

Trackman

Established Member
Just watched the ref, and she does seem to point it to the same corner of the room and press something whenever a ball is potted. Never noticed until you pointed it out.
I've also noticed that after someone takes a shot and misses/safety or whatever, they press a button and the display at the bottom of the screen highlights the other player (or it could just be me).
After a break they punch in numbers I think.
What has this got to do with Coronavirus? Surely some official could do it remotely as I guess all the tables have a live TV feed.

Romsey

Simples> 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Just like football I understand. Mrs R had it on as company when working at home and waiting for her computer to refresh large downloads of data.

Entertaining watching the players remembering not to shake hands at the end of a match.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's weird seeing someone reach a century or pull off a really good shot with no applause.

Yes, I wonder if the broadcasters could introduced "canned applause" until the audiences are allowed back in?

Maybe they could even project images of an audience onto the screens surrounding the arenas?

They were saying on the TV that some of the players are finding it really weird without the sight and sound of an audience so I do wonder, seriously, if they could not only project an image of an audience onto the screens around the arenas but maybe even have the tournament directors have a button for the various sound effects - the applause, the oohs, the ahhs, the groans...? But NOT the occasional mobile going off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.