• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow and Ice Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Any snow-related problems in the Southern area will no doubt be attributed to industrial action.

I suspect there may be a tricky situation at locations away from London and above about 200 feet a.m.s.l. where heavy rain is overlain by wet snow and then the resultant slush freezes overnight - almost the worst case for third rail operation (second only to freezing rain, or 'ice storm', as the Americans call it).
South West Trains often run trains overnight to try and stop the lines icing up. Clearly that can't be done on lines that only Southern trains use. Not sure how many of those there are but Lewes to Eastbourne is one as is the Seaford branch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
South West Trains often run trains overnight to try and stop the lines icing up. Clearly that can't be done on lines that only Southern trains use. Not sure how many of those there are but Lewes to Eastbourne is one as is the Seaford branch.
Are the de-icers run by the TOCs then?

tsr

Established Member
As far as I am aware, no Southern drivers are currently competent on MPVs, and only the tiniest handful are able to drive locomotives of any description (mainly a couple of drivers still competent on 73s for rescue reasons), therefore there should be no reason that railhead treatment trains loaded with de-icer should not run, except perhaps if they need to be piloted into any of the depots or sidings.

(Note that some other TOCs such as SWT do crew MPVs, or have done in the past.)

As for "ghost trains" formed of usual stock and designed to keep lines clear of ice by means of regular ECS running, these would be affected if they were run by Southern, but there is every chance that the signallers and the relevant control people will be able to devise coverage of the mainline by running GX and Thameslink over different selections of running lines, if need be. London Overground are also in a position to run ghost trains on the mainline from New Cross Gate to Norwood Junction if necessary.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
"Key route strategies" and all that.

In my day , we used to augment the de-icer unit (an ancient DMU) , with 6 car empty 313 sets on nights bashing up and down the Watford DC line to prevent ice build up - particularly Harrow to Watford as a combination of a fairly steep gradient High St to Bushey and a frost pocket around the viaduct could cause issues. Used to de-ice the doors on stabled stock by hand sprays , as well as leaving units "cut in" with heat on to keep them warm.

All done without contracts too ....just common sense.

Oxfordblues

Someone'a asked GWR on Twitter if they have any "gritting trains" - which tells you something about the public's understanding of railways!

eastdyke

Established Member
Someone'a asked GWR on Twitter if they have any "gritting trains" - which tells you something about the public's understanding of railways!

That could well be tongue in cheek following a BBC report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-38601592

Scroll down to the timeline 16.31:

Gritting trains heading west
Posted at 16:31

Great Western Railway says gritting trains are out - although disruption isn't expected.

LOL

infobleep

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware, no Southern drivers are currently competent on MPVs, and only the tiniest handful are able to drive locomotives of any description (mainly a couple of drivers still competent on 73s for rescue reasons), therefore there should be no reason that railhead treatment trains loaded with de-icer should not run, except perhaps if they need to be piloted into any of the depots or sidings.

(Note that some other TOCs such as SWT do crew MPVs, or have done in the past.)

As for "ghost trains" formed of usual stock and designed to keep lines clear of ice by means of regular ECS running, these would be affected if they were run by Southern, but there is every chance that the signallers and the relevant control people will be able to devise coverage of the mainline by running GX and Thameslink over different selections of running lines, if need be. London Overground are also in a position to run ghost trains on the mainline from New Cross Gate to Norwood Junction if necessary.
Thanks for that. Very interesting. I like knowing how the railways work.

tsr

Established Member
Snow is falling now across South London, Sussex and the North of Surrey. Apparently the main issue is that it is hampering some fault finding with the signalling equipment at Purley... bad timing! The trains themselves, when they move past that affected area (and so long as they've not been delayed by the Thameslink network falling apart), aren't moving too sluggishly.

(...yet... ;) )

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I like knowing how the railways work.

On this matter at the very least, you're most welcome!

341o2

Established Member
Yes very much so. Many people, especially in the London area, are utterly clueless about how to competently drive a road vehicle in ice or snow.

And further south as well. A few years back, an early morning drive on the New Forest, I encountered no less than five cars off the road with a couple of bemused drivers standing by two of them. Then the penny dropped in that it had been icy overnight.

Then there was the woman who rolled her car on an icy road and blamed the council for not gritting it

At the moment seems that flooding is more of an issue due to torrential rain since midday and not forecast to stop until around 7pm
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

LOL

Me too LOL regarding gritting trains

Last edited:

Stefan44

I'll be travelling back to Exeter tomorrow from Birmingham should any problems arise CrossCountry will have to get me to my destination correct?, do you advise on travelling first thing or in the afternoon.

D1009

Established Member
I'll be travelling back to Exeter tomorrow from Birmingham should any problems arise CrossCountry will have to get me to my destination correct?, do you advise on travelling first thing or in the afternoon.

I shouldn't imagine XC will be too badly affected.

dk1

Veteran Member

If there where severe weather which I don't think will be to bad that way XC will do their best but should it be very bad they don't have to. Could advise 'not to travel'.

tsr

Established Member
Occasional performance issues now being reported in the Kent/Sussex area due to poor adhesion.

On the Southern network, aside from the ASLEF issues, the main problem is still the ongoing diagnosis of a signalling fault in the Purley area.

Main hazards to passengers at present seem to be largely due to snowy platforms.

tsr

Established Member
Isolated serious adhesion issues now reported in Kent. Also Tramlink are suffering severe delays due to congestion. Snowing steadily at my location in the darkest recesses of the South Central area.

Welcome, snow of 2017.

chris11256

It's snowing steadily in Southend now. Is building up on my road from what I can see.

No disruption reported on c2c yet. Although I'm hoping for some delays tomorrow. Would give me a good reason to work from home.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Winter weather in winter shock!

(and of course the only reason why this is news is it just happens to be affecting SE England)

sk688

LM had issues

Track inspection between Northampton and MKC, led to many delayed trains. The 1741 to Tring was still at Euston, when my train (1805 to Northampton) left,which itself was short formed and departed late at around 1810. It also Seemed to be going a lot slower and 1st declassified

LO were also around 5-10 min late on Watford DC

tim_lathe

Greater Anglia are in a hell of a mess. Lots of slipping everywhere. Not to say that an "Emergency services incident" (to be PC) at Chelmsford earlier helped either.

dk1

Veteran Member
Greater Anglia are in a hell of a mess. Lots of slipping everywhere. Not to say that an "Emergency services incident" (to be PC) at Chelmsford earlier helped either.

17:40 Liv St-Col Town had a blocked horn so 20mph till Shenfield. Signalling problems now at Romford. Crews/trains where in wrong place following earlier fatality involving 1P30.

eastdyke

Established Member

Gritting trains heading west

Great Western Railway says gritting trains are out - although disruption isn't expected.

LOL

The entry at timeline 16.31 has been changed:

Gritting trains not deployed

Great Western Railway says no gritting trains needed

I suppose that is better, but only just!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.