• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

No VTWC again. And no road transport. What's getting so farcical about this is coach companies are now tweeting stranded passengers about as hoc (paid for,obviously) transfers between Glasgow and Carlisle they are setting up. Effectively a shadow RRB system is going on to fill the demand.

Completely cannot understand after 4 days now why 0 RRB operation can be planned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
No VTWC again. And no road transport. What's getting so farcical about this is coach companies are now tweeting stranded passengers about as hoc (paid for,obviously) transfers between Glasgow and Carlisle they are setting up. Effectively a shadow RRB system is going on to fill the demand.

Completely cannot understand after 4 days now why 0 RRB operation can be planned.

You mention ZERO replacement buses, but that is the issue, you can’t have some replacement buses, you have to have either none, or all, which in the case of long distances routes could be 10 coaches from each end every hour, could be up to 100 coaches, or you end up with scenes of people queuing for hours on the forecourt even more annoyed.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The other train I noticed was the 17:02 Waterloo to Guildford. It said no report against each stop but for Guildford it said arrived on time. Im guessing it didn't run.
Not sure which data source you're looking at here, but I have noticed often on Realtime Trains that Waterloo-Guildford services that run but take a different route, or switched onto the fasts instead at some point on its journey, will often show up like that. Platform information and the SWR website usually - correctly - show this as 'cancelled' for intermediate stops (although the SWT website used to show it as 'non stopping').

furnessvale

Established Member
Just been announced by VTEC that ECML is now open, BUT, they won't be running trains because resources have to be organised.

I have tweeted back that unless something, anything, runs, by the time they are ready the line will be blocked again.

Graeme

And the original announcement was made by Alex Hynes not by VTEC - the latter obviously quick off the mark to let everyone know.

jimm

Established Member

Even if the M74 is passable doesn't mean that the replacement bus contractors can necessarily get any drivers to volunteer to turn out to work/get to the garage in the first place.

And whatever coach operators may be doing in that neck of the woods, it's not as if they are not struggling themselves elsewhere. This is the current state of play on National Express.

NX Service Updates‏ @nxupdates 40m40 minutes ago
The following stops/areas are not being served: Birmingham Coach Station, Luton, Luton Airport, South Wales, Bristol, Bath, Bournemouth, Southampton, Devon, Cornwall, Stokenchurch, High Wycombe Coachway. We have also suspended services between Manchester and Leeds.

Plus all London-Gloucester-Hereford coaches today according to another tweet.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury just reopened but with a much reduced service.
ATW still advising people not to travel

ChathillMan

I don't think the NR bloke in Scotland should have tweeted about the ECML being open. VTEC are already trying to manage a difficult situation. Last thing they need is housands of passengers decending on Waverly with no trains planned

iainbhx

No trains to Stratford upon Avon either via Dorridge or Shirley. Snow Hill lines are operating but with lots of turnbacks and cancellations.

Graeme

And the A1 is now open from Alnwick to Berwick (not sure what it is like north of Berwick) - what's the usual timeframe for being able to organise RRBs for Newcastle-Edinburgh length of journey?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
So VTEC have said to me on and several others on Twitter, even though their charter says they'll provide accommodation they are refusing to do so and referring people to the NRCOT.

Just spoke to Customer Relations who said that accommodation should have been provided in circumstances like this, so at this moment in time I'm getting a bit annoyed with VTEC and their misinformation.

In regards to the line opening, Customer Relations also said they are trying to open the line today but can't promise anything and of it's safe to do so, potentially might get rail replacement organised.

jimm

Established Member
No trains to Stratford upon Avon either via Dorridge or Shirley. Snow Hill lines are operating but with lots of turnbacks and cancellations.

According to Chiltern, there is a 3ft to 6ft snowdrift in the Bearley/Wilmcote area which is waiting for a plough to get to it. All their Leamington-Stratford services suspended until further notice.

And the A1 is now open from Alnwick to Berwick (not sure what it is like north of Berwick) - what's the usual timeframe for being able to organise RRBs for Newcastle-Edinburgh length of journey?

Usual timeframes/usual anything don't apply in these conditions - as I said above, you need coach drivers willing to volunteer to work - and that's assuming the operator is willing to put their vehicles out on the roads.

With lots of snow around and an easterly blowing, there's still a risk of drifts building up again. I can't say I'd be rushing to get out there if offered the job.

And the current note on the Virgin website suggests that whatever Mr Hynes may be tweeting, it won't make any difference for the rest of today.

NO TRAINS WILL RUN between Newcastle and Scotland today and NO alternative road transport will run due to the hazardous conditions.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
I suspect this is just about moving the absolute minimum number of sets of points, but very interesting diversion it makes for!

Nah these kinds of timetable amendments will be being created by Control functions rather than Planning functions.

I remember in BR days, even RT days when we had bad snow, and its not that frequent, point use was kept to the very minimum, so in my area we would have simply run Up and Down Main with a slow and a fast, trains off the branch would have gone into the bay platform and turned round, snowmen would ensure or try to ensure the points to and from the carriage sidings worked, in an emergency would clear others if needed.
Passengers also knew the issues and said fair enough, we have a service, maybe not as frequent, but we understand, now they all jump up and down coplain on Twitter that the railway cant cope with snow / ice, the TOC responds by trying to run more trains, and it all falls apart.
In bad weather, bring in the revised timetable, ignore the moaners, and just stick to it for as long as it takes, travellers seem far more impatient now then ever, they have no thought for staff trying to get to work at 3am in the morning, or trying to get home at that time, all they want is their normal train and normal seat, and wo betide the TOC if it does not run !
Maybe the Train Companies should suspend the twitter accounts in such events !

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So VTEC have said to me on and several others on Twitter, even though their charter says they'll provide accommodation they are refusing to do so and referring people to the NRCOT.
VTEC's Twitter team are not very knowledgeable and often provide misleading information.

Customer Relations have the right of it. You should have been provided accommodation so as they failed to do so you should certainly get the money back.

Graeme

Two Thunderbirds out, one from Edinburgh and one from Newcastle, both about to pass each other in the Berwick area, presumably checking the line.

furnessvale

Established Member
Two Thunderbirds out, one from Edinburgh and one from Newcastle, both about to pass each other in the Berwick area, presumably checking the line.
What do they expect to find that the plough didn't?

furnessvale

Established Member
What do you think they are checking the line for?
I have no idea, have they? When I worked on the railway we sent the plough through and then ASAP got revenue trains moving to stop the line from blocking again. At the moment, they seem to be talking about leaving lines for hours after ploughing and then, shock horror, the snow has drifted again.

gavin

What do you think they are checking the line for?

The line was beset with points failures between Newcastle and Dunbar before it fully closed they will want to make sure everything is fully operational before running a revenue service through the wind has died right down now so redrifitng on the line should be less of an issue now

Carlisle

Established Member
According to Chiltern, there is a 3ft to 6ft snowdrift in the Bearley/Wilmcote area which is waiting for a plough to get to it. All their Leamington-Stratford services suspended until further notice.

Usual timeframes/usual anything don't apply in these conditions - as I said above, you need coach drivers willing to volunteer to work - and that's assuming the operator is willing to put their vehicles out on the roads.

With lots of snow around and an easterly blowing, there's still a risk of drifts building up again. I can't say I'd be rushing to get out there if offered the job.

And the current note on the Virgin website suggests that whatever Mr Hynes may be tweeting, it won't make any difference for the rest of today.
Given it’s been 2-3 days ssince the heavy snowfall on the northern WCML and it’s still completely closed, the comparisons of how poorly we cope compared to 40 years ago or with the rest of Europe do seem to have some validity

Last edited:

Graeme

Both Thunderbirds have reached Berwick. The southbound one is now near Tweedmouth Yard. VTEC's twitter feed stated they would have to verify the conditions before reinstating services so I guess it's a case of checking everything possible before the go-ahead is given.

daikilo

Established Member
The ploughs would clear the line of snow, but would not normally be checking for e.g. visibilty of signals, speed restriction boards etc. Whatever we did in the past, to run a pair of locos with inspectors avoids cautioning the first trains through at low speed and will allow application of TSRs if needed.

Note: if anyone has any photos/video of the 66s with ploughs at work, I'm interested!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
And the original announcement was made by Alex Hynes not by VTEC - the latter obviously quick off the mark to let everyone know.

Do we have the quote of this? He is the equivalent of Route MD for Network Rail sdid he actually refer to the part of the route in Scotland and/or the part of the ECML used ScotRail services?

gavin

ECML now open VTEC and Crosscountry in the process of reinstating services between Newcastle and Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.