• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

2D96 Edinburgh to Dunbar is the 1st southbound service out currently at Musselburgh

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Paddington:

Heathrow Express seems to be in the hands of 360s today with the 332s confined to Old Oak Common.

Heathrow Connect cancelled

387s working like clockwork on the relief line. Turbos covering Oxford / Kennet Valley.

Long distance trains not really in attendance.

Lots of 800s at North Pole depot (as few if any booked out at the weekend anyway).

gavin

Crosscountry planning to run 1Z64 1307 Edinburgh to Newcastle the serivce is currently on P8 and will call at Dunbar 1328 Alnmouth 1411 & Newcastle 1439

Paul180

What's been going on on the North Downs line for the past few days. On Thursday online they were saying that there was a track fault between Blackwater and Wokingham but over the tannoy there were saying it was the weather (yes I know this has been a problem). they were managing to run a very limited service between Blackwater and Redhill.

I commute between North camp and Dorking normley a simple journey but not at the moment I had to get a my first train from Ash to Guildford then the second one to Leatherhead and a third one to Dorking taking nearly three hours made worse by the weather and train cancellations instead of less than an hour.

Yesterday I left work early (Found out on Facebook that service wer stopping by 2000 at lunch time) I got to guildford at about 1700 to try to get a train to Ash. As I was arriving on the train from Leatherhead to Guildford I was looking on my phone to see what time and platform the next train was The first one was P8 but that didn't look promising so I went to P6 Looking over to P8 there were still people on the platford but nouthing on the pis (P7 not used) then a member of staff came to where I was standing and pick up the phone to the signal box to ask what was going on as the Ascot train has disappeared off the pis. Then about 5 minutes later there was an announcement to say the train had broken down In the Ash area this apparently also caused a problem with the level crossing.

Well they were advising people if they wanted to get to Aldershot ect (I would have got off at Ash Vale) to get the next train to Surbiton to Cobham as there was no trains to Woking I think the train was due to leave at 1737 at this point I thought i would get stuck in Surbiton all night as the service stopping at 2000 so I thought **** this I'm going to try to get a taxi when out the front of the station found one "he must have felt sorry for me" and he got me home.

All in all Southern normally get a lot of stick but the Southern trains I have used the past to days have been on time.

ScottDarg

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What's been going on on the North Downs line for the past few days. On Thursday online they were saying that there was a track fault between Blackwater and Wokingham but over the tannoy there were saying it was the weather (yes I know this has been a problem). they were managing to run a very limited service between Blackwater and Redhill.

Very limited with the two trains kept overnight at Redhill but it was stopped mid afternoon on Thursday - possibly because they couldn't get traincrew from Reading to run the service and the Turbos would run out of fuel.

No service then ran for the remainder of Thursday, all day yesterday or today.

A posting in another thread says that the points cracked at Wokingham and a decision was made to 'plain line' the route towards Ascot rather than Guildford.

Resumption of service probably depends on swapping the units currently at Redhill.

The GWR website initially suggested a week before they can fix the points - e.g. next weekend.

gavin

Crosscountry will run the following services between England and Scotland

Edinburgh to Newcastle

13:08
15:08
18:08

Newcastle to Edinburgh

16:32
17:35
18:37

All services will call Dunbar, Berwick, Alnmouth & Morpeth

VTEC currently have no services planned to run on this section of the line Crosscountry will accept VTEC tickets

Highlandspring

Established Member
Shame that Virgin Trains tweeted a reply to someone in that NRS post saying that the line won't be opening lol
That’s somewhat misleading phrasing from Virgin. The infrastructure will be available, it’s up to the individual TOCs and FOCs wether or not they want to use it.

AndrewE

Established Member
Crosscountry will run the following services between England and Scotland

Edinburgh to Newcastle 13:08, 15:08, 18:08

Newcastle to Edinburgh 16:32, 17:35, 18:37...
I wonder whether Voyagers or HSTs will be chosen, which are seen as most robust in the weather conditions?

gavin

VTEC will be running a serivce the 13:30 Edinburgh to Newcastle will call at Berwick 1410, Alnmouth 1430, Morpeth 1510 & Newcastle 1526

Romilly

Established Member
Virgin Trains East Coast website updated at 13:15 today to say:

The situation is now improving and we are working with Network Rail to reintroduce a train service between Newcastle and Edinburgh. We will keep you updated with a revised timetable as soon as it becomes available. Please be advised that this will be a significantly reduced service and we expect trains to be extremely busy. We would therefore advise customers not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

We are still unable to offer alternative road transport today.

Romilly

Established Member
VTEC will be running a serivce the 13:30 Edinburgh to Newcastle will call at Berwick 1410, Alnmouth 1430, Morpeth 1510 & Newcastle 1526

Except that the VTEC website says it's going to be even more historic than being their first train to England for days: it's also going to be the first train for decades to call at Alnwick!!!

AndrewE

Established Member
They are showing to be using HST's
I had wondered if that would be the case. I suppose 2 big engines (each one in its own nice warm engine room) is a better bet than a few small ones slung under coach bodies. Maybe better capacity than single voyagers too, but those could have run doubled up. I'm very pleased that the old much-abused BR stuff is considered more robust than modern stock.

Graeme

6E45 (Millerhill-North Blyth) seems to be running south on the northbound line around Acklington (not too far from home but I'm not going out in this weather to see it).

1Z64 (the first XC service from Edinburgh) is also running wrong line south of Berwick in the Scremerston area.

Possibly due to NR staff digging out the snowdrifts manually as per VTEC MD's earlier tweet?

Last edited:

gavin

VTEC will be running an hourly service from Newcastle to Edinburgh starting at 15:56 with the last service at 20:56

These services may be subject to late notice delays and cancellations should the weather suddenly change

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Interesting that the first XC service back to Scotland isn't until 1632. Raildar is shown that there's an XC service to Glasgow Central from Newcastle at 15.35.

How accurate is Raildar in comparison to RTT?

hwl

Established Member
Tricky, if GTR are only running a limited service they'd be concentrating on their own passengers and not others from a TOC who's thrown in the towel early.
The limited GTR service was really that useful for SWR passenegers as the Services that interacted with SWR area were the ones that thended to be cancelled e.g. Portsmouth Soton so while not well worded the tweets might have got the message across the GTR was an alternative.

gavin

VTEC will be running a service to Aberdeen

16.56 Newcastle to Aberdeen calling at Alnmouth, Berwick, Edinburgh, Haymarket, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee, Arbroath, Montrose, Stonehaven and Aberdeen 21:10

Crossover

Established Member
I wonder whether Voyagers or HSTs will be chosen, which are seen as most robust in the weather conditions?

I believe the former is a Voyager - that is the photo someone sent me that was on Twitter

I am on my way to Birmingham. Currently on the 1455 from Piccadilly to Euston and there is very little snow about and I nearly have a coach to myself. There was a bit more snow left around in Huddersfield but it wasn’t causing the trains any undue problems it seemed

gavin

VTEC will be running an hourly service between Edinburgh & Newcastle from 15.30 to 18.30 calling at Berwick and Alnmouth

The last service will be the 20.00 Edinburgh to Newcastle calling at Dunbar, Berwick, Alnmouth and Morpeth

Status
Not open for further replies.