• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTrain

Went for a jaunt out to Hathersage earlier. Sheffield station seemed quite subdued for rush hour with EMT running just 1tph down to London (the fast one albeit with extra calls at Loughborough and East Midlands Parkway) and some hefty delays to Liverpool-Norwich services.

Hope Valley stoppers were up the creek but everything did actually seem to operate with delays. The doors on the 150 I had seemed to be frozen though as they refused to open beyond about 2/3 of the way.

That said, Northern doing quite well down the Hope Valley considering the state of the rest of the network.
I think you spoke too soon on that one, it's all gone wrong now, cancellations all over the shop. Anyone know what the problem is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
MML seemed pretty good on the way to London this morning (0805 was a few minutes late, probably due to late arrival of the Lincoln portion). But by early afternoon it was all falling apart. One of the hourly Sheffields was cancelled followed by the faster Nottingham an hour or two later. I was on the 1315 to Nottingham which was stuck behind a 222 with some kind of problem at Market Harborough, everything was all over the place at Leicester, slow line from Loughborough to Trent and then a long wait outside Nottingham due to "an empty stock train in the platform having problems releasing brakes". EMT weren't recommending not to travel on the MML in the morning but they were by the afternoon - the classic problem that if the service collapses during the day most of the people who set out in the morning will still want to get home. However I get the impression it was a series of unrelated problems, or perhaps the same problem in numerous places (someone referred to 222s having difficulties a page or two back) rather than just a single major issue in once place.

Parallel

Established Member
I was on a GWR 158 earlier which was blowing out a load of cold air instead of heat in the carriage. Toasty!
——
I’m unsure if GWR ran any single 153s as all Cornwall branches had cancelled services from late morning today.

Arriva TW haven’t run much for various reasons.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Just got back from a few days in Hamburg (2 hours late, thanx BA). Their rail service was a mess, with delays, canx. I was waiting for a train at Harburg yesterday, the local train was only 20 late,, and IC was 70, and this board at Hamburg. Each train with a white bit is either a delay or a canx. One train to Kiel has been canx from the south, so they have put on a special. (note the long IC number). Roads were a mess, and they have snow tyres. View attachment 43319
Yes, but what we all want to know, sarahj, is whether you enjoyed the model railway exhibition? :)

Raul_Duke

I understand Class 50 “Defiance,” is making a trip from Derby to St Pancras to help with snow clearance.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Looks like most of Railway Wales will be shut down tomorrow, and no mention of bus replacement, which considering the situation around here at the moment I'm not surprised at.
Even the Vale of Rheidol has closed, partly due to frozen pipes.

Boy am I glad I don't have to go to work any more!

LowLevel

Established Member
MML seemed pretty good on the way to London this morning (0805 was a few minutes late, probably due to late arrival of the Lincoln portion). But by early afternoon it was all falling apart. One of the hourly Sheffields was cancelled followed by the faster Nottingham an hour or two later. I was on the 1315 to Nottingham which was stuck behind a 222 with some kind of problem at Market Harborough, everything was all over the place at Leicester, slow line from Loughborough to Trent and then a long wait outside Nottingham due to "an empty stock train in the platform having problems releasing brakes". EMT weren't recommending not to travel on the MML in the morning but they were by the afternoon - the classic problem that if the service collapses during the day most of the people who set out in the morning will still want to get home. However I get the impression it was a series of unrelated problems, or perhaps the same problem in numerous places (someone referred to 222s having difficulties a page or two back) rather than just a single major issue in once place.

222s are experiencing traction motor issues.
15x are getting frozen air and door systems and keep sitting down all over the place. A 153 for stuck for ages at Belper this morning and various examples have failed on the Lincs routes today and yesterday (two of which were rescued by a Northern service and pushed from Saxilby to Sheffield via Retford where a Norwich service collected them!).

There's a snow drift at Market Harborough which closed the up main so everything was stacking up running bidirectional on the down line.

Nottingham was littered with failed trains and frozen points first thing which messed the local service up all day.

There's a snow drift on the Hope Valley now which has closed it and trapped another two trains at Liverpool.

That and a host of crew and other issues has caused total chaos.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I understand Class 50 “Defiance,” is making a trip from Derby to St Pancras to help with snow clearance.

Yes posted by the fifty fund on twitter https://twitter.com/thefiftyfund/status/969291864863051776

50049 has been called upon to go out onto the Midland Mainline to help with keeping the Rail Network clear of any heavy snow tonight. It’s planned to go all the way to St Pancras and back and any other routes called upon by Network Rail . These plans may change without notice.

cuccir

Established Member
Well the ECML in the North-East has limped through but just about remained functional today, particularly once they gave up on trying to run services north of Newcastle. Running at 3 trains an hour, it was remarkably reliable through the afternoon! Virgin East Coast are advising not to travel at all, which seems a bit severe; it's going further than the Met Office's warnings and than TPE/CrossCountry.

gavin

VTEC Edinburgh services to run as follows tomorrow

South from Edinburgh to Kings Cross 1 train an hour leaving at xx30 first departure 10:30

North to Edinburgh from Kings Cross 1 train an hour leaving at xx00 first departure 08:00

Passengers still advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary

M60lad

Just hearing from a friend of mine of possible disruption at Manchester Victoria tomorrow as part of the new Station Roof has been damaged rendering platforms 1,2&3 out of use for the time being so not to sure how long this will be ongoing for

muz379

Established Member
There's a snow drift on the Hope Valley now which has closed it and trapped another two trains at Liverpool.
I dont envy those train crew , does not look like the route will be open again soon and recruiting a taxi to return them might be no easy task . Perhaps time for an impromptu lodging and work back at some point late tomorrow morning /early afternoon

matt_world2004

Established Member
Im curious with the paddington disruption how come they didnt run trains oos from ealing broadway and turn them around at paddington allowing service to keep an semblence and allowing trains to stand at paddington

WatcherZero

Established Member
Just hearing from a friend of mine of possible disruption at Manchester Victoria tomorrow as part of the new Station Roof has been damaged rendering platforms 1,2&3 out of use for the time being so not to sure how long this will be ongoing for

Entire roof reportedly blown off Besses o Th Barn taking out the overheads.

Something also brewed up at Greenhithe, Kent

1254402.jpg

Cletus

Established Member
Southeastern have relented and are now going to run a shuttle service between Dover and Ramsgate.

Also buses between Dover and Faversham. Plus Sheerness and Medway valley lines.

Saint66

VTEC have had to already cancel tomorrow's attempts to run services to and from Edinburgh, the line has now been blocked by snow in the Berwick area.

sheff1

Established Member

NRE report that (i) TPE are unable to run between Stockport and Sheffield; (ii) EMT are running the normal timetable on the Liverpool - Nottingham route o_O

Class83

VTEC have had to already cancel tomorrow's attempts to run services to and from Edinburgh, the line has now been blocked by snow in the Berwick area.
They had pictures of a plough heading up there earlier, I get that we don't have Norwegian levels of kit, but surely keeping the ECML open is possible? The first train isn't due for nearly 12 hours, 10.30 out of Edinburgh.

Saint66

They had pictures of a plough heading up there earlier, I get that we don't have Norwegian levels of kit, but surely keeping the ECML open is possible? The first train isn't due for nearly 12 hours, 10.30 out of Edinburgh.

That crossed my mind too, but maybe NR aren't confident of getting the line open during the night with weather conditions seemingly worsening once again in that area?

I suppose come morning light if things are looking better we may see services re-instated again.

Llanigraham

Established Member
The way the wind has been blowing, I wonder what Talerddig Cutting is going to be like with no trains passing through it tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.