• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow Service Changes 25/02/18 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Bad day for SE for sure - Cannon St staff told passengers to get the tube to Charing Cross, whereupon the service was suspended and they sent everyone back again! Obviously in good faith but didn't go down too well.

Hopefully things get back to normal after the weekend.

Also saw a Class 37 rescuing a Class 378 set at New Cross Gate about 1935.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Southeastern is going in to meltdown. Failed train at Lewisham has caused a ripple effect of queueing trains. Reports of passengers detraining, so power has been switched off. Looks like pretty much only the Greenwich line services out of Cannon Street are able to run.

It's been a really challenging week for Southeastern, earlier today especially and this really is just another level of disruption they didn't need. Feel sorry for the folks in the control room and on the social media accounts - must be hell for them at the moment. And of course, not overly pleasant for those stranded on trains in the area either with no heat/light/power.

Somebody on twitter complaining (perhaps not unreasonably!) that they have been stuck there for three hours and Southeastern explaining that when people are off the track they can get the power back on and get things moving.

The advice from Southeastern is not to travel.

MrB

Southeastern seem to be experiencing all sorts of issues at Lewisham at the moment. Only Cannon St trains via Greenwich running. The problem is being exacerbated by several people using the emergency egress on different trains, meaning power has to be kept off until all the trespassers are rounded up. When will people learn that this just makes it worse for everyone else?

Antman

Established Member
Southeastern seem to be experiencing all sorts of issues at Lewisham at the moment. Only Cannon St trains via Greenwich running. The problem is being exacerbated by several people using the emergency egress on different trains, meaning power has to be kept off until all the trespassers are rounded up. When will people learn that this just makes it worse for everyone else?

Apparently there is a considerable police presence at Lewisham now but they're really like King Canute trying to hold back the tide.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Fortunately the Main Roads had very light traffic so I was able to make good time by utilising them rather than the footpaths.
It took me about 90 Minutes as where I work is an Industrial Estate on the outskirts of Cwmbran .

Pleased to report no fag breaks en-route - I might have never got going again:oops:

Very well done you !

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Having caught up on the thread it's interesting to see just how much a variety of conditions has been experienced. Early in the week I forecast that my reaction might well be "what's the problem?" And I was right: here in South Lancashire (and much of Cheshire) little snow has stuck around and the only unpleasantness arises from the bitter easterly gale.

As an island with hilly bits dotted around the reality is that it's extremely rare for the weather to be uniform across the country. From my own personal experience this week comes nowhere near the disruption I remember from a similar Siberian blast in December 1981. The blizzards were similar to what has happened in some places this week but the quantities of snow were even greater and the subsequent cold spell meant lying snow persisted across most of the country for a good two months. The lowest temperature was a night somewhere in the Shropshire frost bowl (try saying that in a hurry!) when it dipped as low as -26C. With it already being March I suspect that a thaw won't be too far away but until it arrives it's certainly challenging.

cuccir

Established Member
I think the Irish Sea coasts of North Wales, North England and some of the Western Isles in Scotland are the only places to escape significant snow or ice for at least one day, so if you're in Lancashire/Cheshire you may just about have avoided it!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I am due to travel on a cancelled XC service from Manchester to Birmingham tomorrow morning. I am trying to determine if VT are accepting XC Advance tickets but it's far from clear!

Leo1961

I think the Irish Sea coasts of North Wales, North England and some of the Western Isles in Scotland are the only places to escape significant snow or ice for at least one day, so if you're in Lancashire/Cheshire you may just about have avoided it!

Not strictly true!

Here on the borders of Leicestershire and Warwickshire ( nearly the centre of the UK ) we have been fortunate to have seen only the merest of whispers of snow that has settled.

8-)

robbeech

Established Member
I am due to travel on a cancelled XC service from Manchester to Birmingham tomorrow morning. I am trying to determine if VT are accepting XC Advance tickets but it's far from clear!

Personally i'd just get on, there has been so many changes to advice from all TOCs between acceptance at different times, different days, inter-availability same day, and on different days. Lots of on going contradictions that i don't think the staff on the ground would have any issues really (Nobodies fault).

Whilst many will strongly disagree, i feel the situation should be that there is a national acceptance of any ticket between two given points (or part thereof) until a given sensible time which can be adjusted to suit. This advice given out nationwide would cut phone calls and twitter responses in half allowing teams to concentrate on more specific requests. Twitter is littered with confused passengers asking if they can use this ticket on sunday, or this ticket tomorrow on a different operator to which every time the answer is just YES to get rid of them to move on.

Incidentally, the 3rd rail DLR was running absolutely slick, obviously it being a light rail has far less to haul through snow but I'm assuming the construction of the rails themselves help matters? This was the Lewisham branch, as well.

DLR has bottom contact third rail - the shoe glides along the bottom rather than the top. This means precipitation can't settle onto the bit the shoe is trying to make contact with and interfere with collection like it does with traditional third rail, hence no interruption of power. An intensive service probably also helps ensure the running rails are kept clean.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Hats off to all the girls and boys out there fixing early felt for the S&T guys having to fiddle about with wires in loc boxes (with no gloves), having had to find and dig out the boxes first.

I have to say that my train service has been spot on all week, full service and minimal delays (for me). That's Thameslink for you...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Personally i'd just get on, there has been so many changes to advice from all TOCs between acceptance at different times, different days, inter-availability same day, and on different days. Lots of on going contradictions that i don't think the staff on the ground would have any issues really (Nobodies fault).

Whilst many will strongly disagree, i feel the situation should be that there is a national acceptance of any ticket between two given points (or part thereof) until a given sensible time which can be adjusted to suit. This advice given out nationwide would cut phone calls and twitter responses in half allowing teams to concentrate on more specific requests. Twitter is littered with confused passengers asking if they can use this ticket on sunday, or this ticket tomorrow on a different operator to which every time the answer is just YES to get rid of them to move on.
I have now recieved a direct response from XC. Incredibly, they say that VT will not be accepting their tickets.

Trainfan344

Established Member
390132 has failed on the UFL at Stafford, video on a facebook group shows passengers being evacuated by staff

George109

People have been stuck for a few hours now near Lewisham. People have been self evacuating from "cold dark trains" as the batteries seem to have run out.
Several videos of passengers self evacuating and walking down the tracks on twitter, someone also says in the video "well we're gonna be here for (several) more hours"
https://twitter.com/Hoppy79/status/969670212483190784?s=19
https://twitter.com/Hoppy79/status/969669256823627778?s=19
https://twitter.com/Hoppy79/status/969674353985097728?s=19

Really feel for Southeastern twitter, tempers must be fraying and finally snapped: (original tweet has been deleted)

xfcezbT.jpg

What the f*** is going on is a number of people forced the doors open and decamped onto the tracks so we had to turn the power off. Until emergency services give the all clear and tell us everyone is safe we can't run trains.

Last edited:

SGS

VTEC now tweeting that there will be no service Newcastle-Edinburgh tomorrow (Saturday).

robbeech

Established Member
People have been stuck for a few hours now near Lewisham. People have been self evacuating from "cold dark trains" as the batteries seem to have run out which only adds to the problem, especially as some failed trains are near the station.
Several videos of passengers self evacuating and walking down the tracks on twitter, someone also says in the video "well we're gonna be here for (several) more hours"

Really feel for Southeastern twitter, tempers must be fraying and finally snapped: (original tweet has been deleted)

xfcezbT.jpg

Poor effort from both sides IMHO. I know someone sat on one of the affected trains. They're not getting off unless told to do so. Anyone who has is quite frankly stupid. I don't think anyone would deny that but the social media team have in my opinion been very poor this evening. I appreciate they are stretched, have lots of additional requests but they have contradicted the BTP, the drivers, and themselves multiple times. This IS going to keep happening and it would not surprise me if we don't see movement down there for hours to come because of this. But i struggle to accept that there are THAT MANY idiots on board. There has to come a point where they accept how the passengers are reacting and choose to evacuate them where possible rather than pen them back up on a train that quite frankly isn't going to move any time soon. With the initial delay being poor adhesion and / or current supply from third rail due to weather conditions it would be somewhat folly to think that this problem will have gone away in the last 3 to 4 hours when no trains have passed and the sun has gone down.

Antman

Established Member
People have been stuck for a few hours now near Lewisham. People have been self evacuating from "cold dark trains" as the batteries seem to have run out.

xfcezbT.jpg

It's just a vicious circle, they can't get trains moving whilst people are on the track but the longer it goes on the more people are self evacuating.

AngusH

It isn't that surprising is it?

There are extensive reports in the media of passengers being stranded overnight for many hours.

So choices:

1) Listen to railway company, I might still be there tomorrow
2) Exit the train, at least I'm not stuck and can maybe get home some other way.

It's probably not the correct view, but I can see the logic.

robbeech

Established Member
It's just a vicious circle, they can't get trains moving whilst people are on the track but the longer it goes on the more people are self evacuating.
Which is why they should look at other options IF they are available. BTP are now evacuating 2 trains minutes after SE said they were ready to put curent on and get moving. More contradictions, which will cause more passengers to do stupid things.

Antman

Established Member
It isn't that surprising is it?

There are extensive reports in the media of passengers being stranded overnight for many hours.

So choices:

1) Listen to railway company, I might still be there tomorrow
2) Exit the train, at least I'm not stuck and can maybe get home some other way.

It's probably not the correct view, but I can see the logic.

Exactly and I'd probably be doing the same if I were stuck there cold hungry and needing the loo.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
No Northbound services tomorrow on VTEC to Edinburgh which means I'm still stranded in Newcastle.

Seriously starting to hate how much my wallet is taking a pounding. Its interesting that if a plane is cancelled they'll arrange accommodation, but when a train is cancelled it's tough luck. Even looked at getting Megabus up the road but they have no seats until Sunday morning.

VTEC staff at Newcastle have been almost invisible as well, only saw one or two staff members and even then they weren't much help on how to find places to stay.

joncombe

No Northbound services tomorrow on VTEC to Edinburgh which means I'm still stranded in Newcastle.

Seriously starting to hate how much my wallet is taking a pounding. Its interesting that if a plane is cancelled they'll arrange accommodation, but when a train is cancelled it's tough luck.

I don't think an airline is required to provide a hotel if it's weather related disruption (outside their control). On the other hand the VTEC passenger charter does say they will provide alternative overnight accommodation or alternative transport if they can't get you to your destination at a reasonable time (it doesn't say this excludes weather related disruption). Have you tried asking them?

bramling

Veteran Member
Southeastern is going in to meltdown. Failed train at Lewisham has caused a ripple effect of queueing trains. Reports of passengers detraining, so power has been switched off. Looks like pretty much only the Greenwich line services out of Cannon Street are able to run.

It's been a really challenging week for Southeastern, earlier today especially and this really is just another level of disruption they didn't need. Feel sorry for the folks in the control room and on the social media accounts - must be hell for them at the moment. And of course, not overly pleasant for those stranded on trains in the area either with no heat/light/power.

So much for all the advice not to travel after 1800. Plenty of people hanging around in London for their evening piss up. No doubt there will be moaning galore if any get stranded on their way home.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I don't think an airline is required to provide a hotel if it's weather related disruption (outside their control). On the other hand the VTEC passenger charter does say they will provide alternative overnight accommodation or alternative transport if they can't get you to your destination at a reasonable time (it doesn't say this excludes weather related disruption). Have you tried asking them?

Rail replacement is out of the question as they have said it's to dangerous (Even though Megabus are able to run) but I had no idea about their charter. Have you got a link to it?

robbeech

Established Member

Seriously starting to hate how much my wallet is taking a pounding. Its interesting that if a plane is cancelled they'll arrange accommodation, but when a train is cancelled it's tough luck. Even looked at getting Megabus up the road but they have no seats until Sunday morning.

VTEC staff at Newcastle have been almost invisible as well, only saw one or two staff members and even then they weren't much help on how to find places to stay.

General advice from VTEC is keep all receipts and contact them when it’s all over. If you are struggling to fund it seek out staff (it seems you have tried).

Antman

Established Member
So much for all the advice not to travel after 1800. Plenty of people hanging around in London for their evening **** up. No doubt there will be moaning galore if any get stranded on their way home.

The advice is not to travel at all but obviously people need to get home from work. I think you'll find they started their journey before 18.00.

Moaning? I don't think I'd be too impressed at being stuck at Lewisham for hours would you?

Last edited by a moderator:

ComUtoR

Established Member

Cheers <(

Status
Not open for further replies.