• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Yes it has indeed snowed over night! Get your cameras out and get phottinh if you have no school or dont go to school :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
It's only just started here! School is open :(
I'll get some pics when it chucks abit more down on us

Coxster

Established Member
We have quite a thick covering and it has been falling for well over two hours. Even now at 08:15 it's still falling with quite big flakes. Random link.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It wasn't too snowy here, it's melting now. No schools are closed - but I'm staying in 'til my next lesson at 1pm because I couldn't get in!

First Bus - "whatever the weather, we're running for you" (50 minutes late). I left the house to catch the 0736 bus, and at 0810 I finally gave up, because even if a bus showed up then - I'd be very late. At 0825 a bus drove past, but was so full it went past the stop. 5 mins later another bus showed up with room on it to convey the (few) remaining passengers. No idea why - we're less than 10 mins from the Turnaround point, & three buses came in the other direction.

Coxster

Established Member
The head and one of the arms of my snowman have fallen off :( They're still on the ground though, and it's still snowing :D

1D53

Established Member
Been snowing in Huddersfield since bout 7am, light covering only. Gonna go hunting in the hills later to see if there is any up in the Pennines.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yay! Got the day off school afterall! Our school just decided not to tell anyone it was shut!

Only started snowing this morning. We have a thin layer. Nothing too bad.
On the one day that it snows, my dad decides to go to Manchester :???: He's been there way longer than he was supposed to be. Trains seem to be running okay though :???:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Yay! Got the day off school afterall! Our school just decided not to tell anyone it was shut!

Is it just me thinking it, or do schools nowadays shut at the first sign of a flutter of snow?

In my days back at school (1975-1989), I can only remember 2 occasions when my school was closed becaure of the snow, and one of those was because the boiler had failed so there was no ETH in the school! There was the odd time when we got sent home early, primarily because the buses for the kids who lived out in the sticks were going early, but that was it.

Also, I believe back then, there was a lot more snow than there normally is now. One year - 81 I think - there was snow on the ground for about a month. One of the things we used to enjoy doing as kids was watch all the cars from the front room at home as they tried to get up our road (a hill), sliding and getting stuck!

Settled in Mexborough this morning, now its just falling and melting, with school to look forward to tomorrow:sad:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Is it just me thinking it, or do schools nowadays shut at the first sign of a flutter of snow?

Our school hardly EVER shuts for snow.
Was quite surprised they did today considering there wasn't even that much.
Think it was the fact that we were expecting alot more snow than we actually got.
Hopefully they'll think that it's not even worth going for the last day of term tomorrow :D

AJP

Settled in Mexborough this morning, now its just falling and melting, with school to look forward to tomorrow:sad:

same on the better side of Doncaster ;)

Though its starting to settle again grass looking white.

Tom B

Established Member
same on the better side of Doncaster ;)

Though its starting to settle again grass looking white.

True :D. It was snowing a bit on the way to school this morning, which resulted in everyone on the bus getting a shower.

Established Member
Why do i live in the shi**y SW :(

Must agree with you there liam, although norht of dorset got a bit of snow, bloody annoys me! i wann day of school a good chance to have some old fashioned fun!

David

Established Member
Why oh why must this country go into panic mode when there is an inch of snow on the ground?

Today, I have been in Birmingham and the West Midlands, and could see no reason for every school to be closed. The deepest I saw the snow was 3 inches (and that was a drift against a wall), and every road was open, and in most cases, just about clear. Why can't people just get on with things????

When I saw the news this morning and it said "There has been heavy snow in Birmingham", I was expecting at least 6 inches of the stuff to be laying on the ground, not a paltry covering.....

I saw no snow on the ground until I reached Leicseter, and the worst driving conditions I experianced today were a couple of roads in Nuneaton where the gritters couldn't get to. Even then, it was less than an inch of snow....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you! Glad to see SOMEONE isn't so worried about snow!

Bad snow is when it is higher than you...I've seen it over 5 and a half feet high (probably much more) in previous years. Photographic proof is somewhere, although I have no idea where right now.

What got me is how the Hereford lot on my Gateway to Work course, in the main, didn't turn up, yet I managed to turn up from much further out, with MUCH worse snow and road conditions than them! Worse was the tutor not turning up, which was pathetic.

Out in the country, we don't let a dusting of snow stop us doing our everyday stuff! You lot in London and the South East (oh hell, the South East is getting ranted about again!), just as much so in major cities, don't know bad weather...You wouldn't if it slapped you across the bloody face!

Below is my copy/pasted report from today on tubechallenge.com:

Up here we had no more than 3 inches, and that was primarily in isolated areas.

The 468 to Knighton was stopped for at the least the morning, and the 461s going onwards to Llandrindod Wells were certainly not running either! Whether that changed by the afternoon I don't know. I do know my Mum is stuck in Llandrindod Wells doing another day of work there as she couldn't get home (or the relief worker couldn't get there, one or the other), so it can't be too good!

A Land Rover had fallen onto its side on the side of the A480 between Mansell Lacy and Moorhampton (on the 461 bus route between Kington and Hereford) this morning, as well as an accident involving two cars that looked like they hit each other head-on on the B road between Weobley and the A480.

Don't know what happened trains-wise up here, but I can assure you that delays were bound to have been a major factor today! Indeed, I'd not be surprised to hear the Heart of Wales was shut off for the day...

Most schools in Hereford were closed, although some were open. Indeed, one school-going child this morning was told by our driver that he might as well go home as the school was shut! One was seen waiting for the 0748 461 to Kington near Mansell Lacy in the snow this morning. Only problem for that person is that the 0748 was noted at Stretton Sugwas running near 25 minutes late! I feel sorry for that person...Apparently all of the schools shut eventually.

Herefordshire College of Technology, which my brother attends, was shut today, so he had a nice and lazy day at home...

My Gateway to Work tutor failed to turn up, meaning I had a bit of a c**p day until after lunch, when I found THE perfect job for me...Spent most of the afternoon filling in the application form, which will be finished with some professional advice on the last section I need to do. It'll be off in a First Class mailing tomorrow afternoon, that's for sure!

Snowed for most of the day in this area, albeit lightly.

class 313

Established Member
dscf9546nu8.jpg

My Lords :P

David

Established Member
Tom, I would call that a slight dusting. It certainly isn't a good covering of snow....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm going to quote what I've said just a minute ago on MSN. Sums things up nicely:

It's true what everyone up this way says though: If something happens in London, then the whole country grinds to a halt...
Julian - 12,256.25 HST miles secured...2,743.75 to go til I hit the 15,000 HST miles target! - Do NOT add people w/o permission! says:
A flake of snow...QUICK! Shut down the Tube! Stop the buses! Shut the schools!
Julian - 12,256.25 HST miles secured...2,743.75 to go til I hit the 15,000 HST miles target! - Do NOT add people w/o permission! says:
Out here? A flake of snow, whoop-de-do...

rmt

A North London man came through his front door yesterday without mentioning the storm force winds, snow and ensuing chaos outside.

James Morris, 39, from North London had just walked through millimeters of snow that that brought chaos all over the country. His journey had involved dangers and diversions as police closed roads due to dangerous flakes. His clothes were soaked through due to the extreme weather conditions, and he had narrowly missed being hit by falling a snowball.

said Morris. ‘Not wanting to go straight to the weather as a conversation opener. So I told my wife the photocopier at work got jammed again today. Unfortunately she asked if this was somehow caused by the weather, so we were on to it pretty quickly…’

In parts of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset mentions of the weather hit an all-time record, while Portland in Dorset recorded a February high for ‘looking out of the window and tutting’. Elsewhere around the country millions of worried householders rang friends and family to ask what the weather was like where they were, quickly cutting off their anecdotes to suggest that it was even worse in their street. One man was treated for a cut finger after tapping his barometer so much he broke the glass, while at a guest house in Bournemouth, an American visitor claimed he was almost ‘bored to death’. The BBC News Website has asked amateur photographers not to risk their safety by taking pictures of enormous waves breaking over the sea wall, as they can easily use the photos from the last time and no one will know the difference.

Speaking for the government, John Prescott admitted that this snow was bad, but claimed that it was not as bad as the hurricane experienced under the last Conservative government. Insurance companies estimate the cost of the snow damage will be a very, very high-sounding figure that someone will make up later in the day.

By nightfall, millions of Britons were safely inside their homes watching reports of the weather on the news. Rather than switching channels, most viewers stayed on to watch the ensuing weather report. ‘It was very snowy today…’ the weather man reported. Despite the widespread snowing, the hosepipe ban remains in force for the time being.

class 313

Established Member
BUT that HST pic was taken around 1 in the afternoon after some snow had melted...

dscf9539fs3.jpg

Taken 15mins before

Status
Not open for further replies.