Snowdonia Travel "acquired' by Cityfox

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by nesw, 4 Nov 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesw

nesw Member

I wasn't planning on posting for a while or until there had been any new developments and I suppose there has been a development with CityFox Taxi Plymouth tweeting a rather tempting offer

'Afternoon tea for two? Book with us between 12pm and 8pm Monday to Friday and we'll give you £2 off your taxi fare! Call 01752 606060 ^SP' https://twitter.com/cityfoxtaxisply/status/819200332291067906

Sounds like a deal to me!

I 'phoned the number and was greeted by 'Plymouth Taxis, can I help you?' When I mentioned the tempting offer it certainly got a response! 'Where did I hear about it and what account?'

To cut a long story short , I was told that for the past few weeks Plymouth Taxi's director has been rather concerned that Cityfox are using their 'phone number and they are not associated with Cityfox.

I did mention that Cityfox Plymouth are listed at Companies House, as are Plymouth Taxis Ltd and that they will investigate further.

I'm sure it's all a simple misunderstanding and maybe the tweet was sent by mistake! Then again, the @Cityfoxtaxisply discription does state the number and link to the website http://www.cityfoxtaxi.com/ and other tweets ask for drivers to apply for jobs at the Plymouth branch.

He doesn't have to but I'm sure Rhys or Phil can explain? I'm missing my two quid off and afternoon tea.

2. Olympian

Olympian Member

The same offer was tweeted today by CityFox Bristol, and with a Bristol phone number, but it's clearly rather strange that they're using the Plymouth Taxis number but they don't know anything about it.

3. nesw

nesw Member

I've just tried calling Cityfox Taxis in Bath and again they know nothing about any offers. They also answer the 'phone as Bath Spa Taxis and state 'they have nothing to do with Cityfox' & ' we have tried to contact them but they don't respond.'

I'll avoid making any further comment for now however, it doesn't look good ;particularly when the companies also ask for drivers & controllers to work at Bath & Plymouth.

By the way, this isn't an obsession, simply taking five minutes to respond to their social media posts, presumably what a business wants?

4. mattpharrison

mattpharrison Member

Evening all. Long time lurker here, first time poster. I can confirm that I too gave Plymouth Taxis a call this evening, purely out of academic interest because I find this whole thing very strange. And guess what? They've heard of Cityfox, because they've had several phone calls this evening from people trying to claim free cups of tea. But they were very quick to stress that they are not affiliated, very much less owned, by Cityfox taxis. In fact, they seemed very annoyed at the whole thing - and are 'taking action'. Shall be watching with interest.

5. vicbury

vicbury Member

On the Cityfox Bath page it states:

They also posted a job advert with Bath Spa Taxis branding in February 2016 and posted a photo showing an office being repainted from red to blue (red being the colour of Bath Spa Taxis).

Bath Spa Taxi Ltd was dissolved in July 2016.
    Another company called Bath Spa Taxi Limited was established in Trowbridge in May 2016.

All a bit odd and I've no idea which company you spoke with..

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The Tweet has now been deleted...

7. Olympian

Olympian Member

The similar CityFoxTaxis Bath tweet is still there and they list the Bath Spa Taxis number on their Twitter page:

All very odd!

8. mattpharrison

mattpharrison Member

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
  9. swifty

swifty Established Member

Last edited: 11 Jan 2017
  10. vicbury

vicbury Member

I'd refrained from commenting until today but the above is truly baffling.

Why pretend to be a company which you aren't? I can understand creating your own publicity for ventures which aren't quite off the ground yet but pretending to be another business??

Also, from the link above, in 2013 Rhys claimed to be aged 18 and had worked in the bus industry for SIX YEARS! They start them off young these days..

11. nesw

nesw Member

It's unfortunatly turned a bit personal on social media concerning this subject. It's a shame really as I'm not out to cause problems, only to highlight things that really don't appear clear cut. I particularly dislike public transport being given a bad reputation by dishonesty, also offers of employment for positions that don't exist. I'm not suggesting this is the case in this instance however, I do believe that in the long run this saga needs to be addressed.

Of course, the media would run with a story like this.

12. RhysHand

RhysHand Member

Ok,

This has nothing to do with this thred or Snowdonia Travel Ltd, so we will not be commenting on anything taxi related.

As for Matt Harrison, legal proceedings are about to be taken against him, so I won't be commenting on anything he writes.

What I will say is that a marketing agreement was drawn up with Graham from Plymouth Taxis Ltd in 2015. Controllers would probably be unaware of those conversations however I have emailed graham and will be communicating with him about the way forward.

On an end note, there are many spotters which ask questions in good faith however most are directed attacks at me or CityFox. In the light of things Phil and I have taken the decision to no longer comment on this forum.

Obviously people may continue to comment as they wish but I would advise strongly to ensure it isn't libellous before posting.

All the best.

13. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

My personal view is that you've now answered many people's thoughts anyway!!

Anybody who seriously believes that supposed threats of legal action will stop others from questioning what is going on is not just very immature but also naive in the extreme.

Some have questioned your supposed activities in your even younger years and some on here appear to also believe that there are more significant issues that you have still failed to mention. Perhaps if you'd been more open about such issues there wouldn't have been as many concerns.

14. THarris123

THarris123 Established Member

I think I may have changed my opinion of Cityfox a little too early.

Certainly by posting that comment they're being quite cowardly. They clearly don't want to own up to these accusations. It does also make one wonder if even before the bus service starts, the taxi firm is failing. We won't find out of course, as they don't want to post on here.

I do wonder though why Phil or Rhys ever bothered to sign up on this forum - surely they knew with such a reputation as Cityfox and Rhys has, they'd have to put up with all these comments and questions.

I certainly wont be using such an untrustworthy and cowardly organisation as Cityfox taxis, Cityfox buses, Snowdonia Travel and whatever else they're calling themselves today.

15. embers25

embers25 Established Member

Sigh. You don't want to cause problems yet you clearly have no desire to ever use any service associated with Rhys so why call Plymouth or Bath or anywhere else in the first place other than to cause trouble and try to find fault. For someone so busy you seem to have plenty of time on your hands to follow every least detail of City Fox's movements. We get it..you don't like Rhys or City Fox and you clearly have a grudge to bear so just drop it. Also saying you weren't planning on posting again for a while was a joke as clearly you will post whenever you feel there is ANYTHING they do that you can critique from your completely "unbiased" viewpoint. Sad to see you go Rhys/Phil but understandable given you have a business to run and this thread is going round in circles due to nesw's hidden agenda which is not so hidden! I'm sure nesw et al will see this as a victory of sorts but I just think it's sad.

16. vicbury

vicbury Member

I can't speak for the motives of anyone else, however I will call out any company that appeards to mislead the general public.

Rhys, and Cityfox, court attention by posting hyperbole all over social media. If First, Stagecoach, or anyone else, posted such hyperbole, we would scrutinise it in the same manner.

17. Olympian

Olympian Member

It's not a case victory at all in my mind but the issue here is what exactly the business is that you say they have to run, and that seems to be the common theme of the various queries from posters, me included, in this thread and elsewhere as various bits of it just don't seem to align with what's on the group/company websites, tweets, Facebook pages etc.

We know they have 17(?) CityFox taxi licences in Bristol however the group website states for taxis that they have 105 employees and a fleet of 95 in Bristol, Bath and Plymouth. It also mentions the acquisition of Bath Spa Taxi in March 2016 (but the link to that announcement doesn't work) however people answering the contact number being tweeted for them say they're not part of CityFox. Likewise people answering the Plymouth CityFox taxi number being tweeted and advertised say they're not part of CityFox but now it's stated as only being a "marketing agreement" with them even though they don't seem to be aware of the offers being marketed on their behalf either. So hardly seems to align with "operating 90+ licensed hackney and private hire vehicles in the Bristol, Bath & Plymouth markets" as also stated on the group website.

For buses and coaches, it appears from all this that they now have a 3-vehicle operating licence, operated a bus service on Christmas and Boxing Day miles away from their Welsh operating centre and under a bus service registration that publicly available websites still say is only effective from tomorrow. Also no-one has yet stated seeing any of their vehicles at the listed operating centre, despite them advertising that having a fleet of 3, 5 employees, local maintenance facilities and "clients include corporate and business hire, social clubs, sporting teams and the education sector". Also their listed transport manager is the person that sold the company to them last year and no longer appears to work for them.

So whilst the above may indeed just be a big misunderstanding and not deliberately misleading as some believe, it's hardly surprising that people meanwhile continue to discuss and comment on it all on various transport forums like this whilst it continues to attract so much attention and intrigue.

18. nesw

nesw Member

A coach driving friend informed me a while ago that the Snowdonia business was initially advertised for sale on a Facebook group and he was wondering who purchased it.

On a separate note, it's interesting that people who are litigious often have something to hide. Robert Maxwell and a few other non-business people had this trait.

19. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

It does seem that there is something there (the Bristol taxi operation and Snowdonia Travel, for example) but also a load of smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sure why there is a need for smoke and mirrors - a small, hard-working, honest travel business is surely a commendable and respectable thing in its own right?

20. THarris123

THarris123 Established Member

And indeed it will make us think that further now Phil and Rhys have left suspiciously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.