• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So what's been happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Hi all! :)

I've been away from the railway scene for about just over a year now, as I've had a lot going on job wise, and a lot of stuff in my personal life.

Now I've got some time to myself, I want to get back in to the scene and get updated on everything that's gone on 2013 up until now! I know I haven't been on the forum for quite a while now (and facebook for that matter to) and it'll be nice to start some where I used to be on very reguraly! :)

So what's been happening in the railway world since 2013, anything and everything would be appreciated! I need to keep myself updated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
Well... where to start?! Welcome back!

In relation to your username and avatar, there are only 19 (well, 20 if you include the erroneous 465906) more 465s to repaint (and 2 of those are in works currently).

Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Well... where to start?! Welcome back!

In relation to your username and avatar, there are only 19 (well, 20 if you include the erroneous 465906) more 465s to repaint (and 2 of those are in works currently).

Cheers Ryan! :) I am a big Networker fan indeed :p

And wow, I would of expected to see them all externally refurbed in the new livery by now! Not much time left and the Connex livery will be gone. Am I right in thinking some units (465/9s) were accidentally refurbished with yellow doors? As I've spotted some on my travels that looked very new!

ryan125hst

Established Member
First of all, welcome back to RailUK Forums! :)Looking at your location and user name, I guess the London area would be a good place to start.

Southern have introduced 26 Class 377/6 trains- 5 cars in length- for metro routes (although they have ended up on Brighton services occasionally). All 26 units are now in service and this has allowed them to withdraw all 24 Class 456'a (more on that later!:D). Southern are now going to receive 8 Class 377/7's, also 5 car, but they are dual voltage and are to be used on the South Croydon to Milton Keynes route. I know a couple of units are being tested. I'm not sure if any are in service yet (I live in Nottinghamshire, so it's not an area i'm too familiar with :D)

South West Trains have started to receive their Class 458/5's. Do you remember the Class 460's on the Gatwick Express services? They have taken them up to Wabtec at Doncaster and are essentially merging them with Class 458's. This will turn the 458's from 4 cars to 5 cars, but their top speed will be reduced to 75mph. This is where things get complicated: The 458/5's will then go the the inner suburban routes (e.g. Hounslow loop and Windsor and Eton Riverside), allowing the Class 450 HC's to have first class re installed so they can be moved back onto outer suburban routes. The 458/5's will normally operate in a 10 car formation (2 units)- all this is about getting a 10 car railway for London suburban services (part of the High Level Output Specification I believe). The Class 456's from Southern have been transferred to SWT. They will be refurbished in due course (in Southern livery/Southern interiors currently) and will allow some 455 operated services to become 10 cars. The are also now operating the Guildford to Ascot services instead of the Class 450's.

Elsewhere, First Transpennine Express have received 10 Class 350/4's- basically the usual Class 350's but with an intercity layout- they have 3 toilets instead of the usual 2. They are being used on the Manchester Airport to Glasgow/Edinburgh route, releasing some Class 185's to allow FTPE to run a fifth train per hour between Manchester and Leeds from the timetable change this month. The service will run from Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle via Manchester Victoria, and the current Manchester Airport to Newcastle service will be cut back to York. All units are now built and delivered.

London Midland will soon take delivery of 10 new Class 350/3's. I think it's just to increase their capacity. I don't know much about this tbh. I've seen a video of the first unit in testing. It was the London Midland order that FTPE tagged onto to get their units.

Finally, the Class 121 used by Arriva Trains Wales on the Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay shuttle has been withdrawn due to failures (can't remember what exactly). It is now being used as a source of spares. Chiltern's 121 is still going strong as far as I know.

Well, that's enough from me and is all I can think of from the top of my head. I'll let other members carry on. :D

Hope that helps. :)

Ryan

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
Cheers Ryan! :) I am a big Networker fan indeed :p

And wow, I would of expected to see them all externally refurbed in the new livery by now! Not much time left and the Connex livery will be gone. Am I right in thinking some units (465/9s) were accidentally refurbished with yellow doors? As I've spotted some on my travels that looked very new!

That would be the erroneous 465906 I mentioned. It went away and came back with full yellow doors, no grey stripe. The difference is very noticeable!

Seeing as you're a Networker fan I'll update you on them.
- There were plans to run 12 car 465s from January this year, but it hasn't materialised yet. Dicussions ongoing, but diagrams that were planned to be 12 car 465 have been reverted to 10 car from May.
- A lot were damaged during the recent storm periods, particularly smashed windscreens, some where I'm amazed drivers weren't injured. 465902 is still at Wolverton for repairs, suffered a lot of damage.

Note - 465902 returned from Wolverton shortly after this was posted on 02/05.

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
Southern have introduced 26 Class 377/7 trains- 5 cars in length- for metro routes (although they have ended up on Brighton services occasionally). All 26 units are now in service and this has allowed them to withdraw all 24 Class 456'a (more on that later!:D). Southern are now going to receive 8 Class 377/7's, also 5 car, but they are dual voltage and are to be used on the South Croydon to Milton Keynes route. I know a couple of units are being tested. I'm not sure if any are in service yet (I live in Nottinghamshire, so it's not an area i'm too familiar with :D)

377/6s are the metro ones ;)

In the north, leases have been signed for northern to receive 14 319/3s from June this year until May next year

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
First of all, welcome back to RailUK Forums! :)Looking at your location and user name, I guess the London area would be a good place to start.

Southern have introduced 26 Class 377/7 trains- 5 cars in length- for metro routes (although they have ended up on Brighton services occasionally). All 26 units are now in service and this has allowed them to withdraw all 24 Class 456'a (more on that later!:D). Southern are now going to receive 8 Class 377/7's, also 5 car, but they are dual voltage and are to be used on the South Croydon to Milton Keynes route. I know a couple of units are being tested. I'm not sure if any are in service yet (I live in Nottinghamshire, so it's not an area i'm too familiar with :D)

South West Trains have started to receive their Class 458/5's. Do you remember the Class 460's on the Gatwick Express services? They have taken them up to Wabtec at Doncaster and are essentially merging them with Class 458's. This will turn the 458's from 4 cars to 5 cars, but their top speed will be reduced to 75mph. This is where things get complicated: The 458/5's will then go the the inner suburban routes (e.g. Hounslow loop and Windsor and Eton Riverside), allowing the Class 450 HC's to have first class re installed so they can be moved back onto outer suburban routes. The 458/5's will normally operate in a 10 car formation (2 units)- all this is about getting a 10 car railway for London suburban services (part of the High Level Output Specification I believe). The Class 456's from Southern have been transferred to SWT. They will be refurbished in due course (in Southern livery/Southern interiors currently) and will allow some 455 operated services to become 10 cars. The are also now operating the Guildford to Ascot services instead of the Class 450's.

Elsewhere, First Transpennine Express have received 10 Class 350/4's- basically the usual Class 350's but with an intercity layout- they have 3 toilets instead of the usual 2. They are being used on the Manchester Airport to Glasgow/Edinburgh route, releasing some Class 185's to allow FTPE to run a fifth train per hour between Manchester and Leeds from the timetable change this month. The service will run from Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle via Manchester Victoria, and the current Manchester Airport to Newcastle service will be cut back to York. All units are now built and delivered.

London Midland will soon take delivery of 10 new Class 350/3's. I think it's just to increase their capacity. I don't know much about this tbh. I've seen a video of the first unit in testing. It was the London Midland order that FTPE tagged onto to get their units.

Finally, the Class 121 used by Arriva Trains Wales on the Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay shuttle has been withdrawn due to failures (can't remember what exactly). It is now being used as a source of spares. Chiltern's 121 is still going strong as far as I know.

Well, that's enough from me and is all I can think of from the top of my head. I'll let other members carry on. :D

Hope that helps. :)

Ryan

A huge wealth of knowledge there fella, and very much appreciated thank you! :)

And the last I knew about the FTPE Cl350's the construction hadn't begun, so things have progressed rather quick! :) As for the Southern 377's I knew they had a bulk order of Electrostars but again that's progressed a lot quicker than I originally thought :) It may only be a rumour I've heard but I've also heard SE are going to receive ex Southern 377/1s?

And as for the 458s I saw a couple of them knocking about looking worse for wear in with the new cab ends :p prefer the original design a lot more still! :)

Again cheers for the info, appreciated loads! :)

ryan125hst

Established Member
A huge wealth of knowledge there fella, and very much appreciated thank you! :)

No problem at all. :)

And the last I knew about the FTPE Cl350's the construction hadn't begun, so things have progressed rather quick! :) As for the Southern 377's I knew they had a bulk order of Electrostars but again that's progressed a lot quicker than I originally thought :)

While sometimes it seems that things can take ages to be sorted on the railways (how long since the Invitation to Tender for the IEP's was released? And we won't even see them until 2016 at least), things can change very quickly at times as well. Looking at just the 377/6's and the 350/4's, that's 170 brand new carriages built and delivered, and there's another 80 to come with the 377/8's and the 350/3's- I think there all due to be in service by the end of the year.

It may only be a rumour I've heard but I've also heard SE are going to receive ex Southern 377/1s?

I've also heard rumors about some of Southern's Class 377's (not 100% sure of the sub class) transferring to South Eastern, but I don't know how many or when, or which routes they will operate.

And as for the 458s I saw a couple of them knocking about looking worse for wear in with the new cab ends :p prefer the original design a lot more still! :)

I don't think they look too bad! Looking at the thread about them (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=82682), four units are currently in service.

I've just thought of something else: The first of the new Class 68 locomotives has arrived in the country and was on test a few weeks ago, although I don't think it's run under its own power in the UK yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4Ot2Fvccw

SouthEastern-465 said:
Again cheers for the info, appreciated loads!

Not a problem at all. I sometimes get behind and that's without being away from the scene for a year! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As someone on the forum wrote on my facebook when I asked the same question, "Just people arguing about Pendonlinos and Voyagers" :lol:

And moaning about the Pacers! :lol:

Flamingo

Established Member
Most of the network has been under water at one point or another since you were here last!

starrymarkb

Established Member
700s for Thameslink are in build with the first sets at Wildenrath.

First Class 374 for Eurostar has arrived on UK soil, but not ventured out of Temple Mills yet :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think Dawlish has been the most interesting occurrence of the last year, particularly as it has shown up the weakness of the railway in the South West at the moment.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If you are interested in the light rail scene all of Manchester Metrolink's uncer construction extensions apart from the Manchester Airport line are now open. Testing of trams has begun in Edinbrugh.

Relatively comprehensive station refurbishment is nearing completion at Nottingham and Newcastle (both of which are looking great!) and I'm sure you've heard about the Reading project (which I never saw prior to it being a building site ;) ) and it was about this time a year ago when Birmingham New Street had it's "Half Time Switchover".

Virgin Trains have joined up most of their London - West Midlands trains with their West Midlands - Scotland trains to increase Pendolino utilisation apparently. Shrewsbury and Blackpool - London services are both kinda 'on the cards' after the debacle, the former more likely than the latter.

The Todmorden Curve that will allow trains to reach Burnley and Accrington from Manchester Victoria is nearing completion but won't be used yet due to lack of diesel stock.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's what I wrote:

I'm guessing you are referring to the bit about the Brighton services. It has happened: https://www.flickr.com/photos/76437498@N03/10669943883/ I doubt it is a regular working- I have no idea why it was being used for a Brighton service in the photograph (it's not my photo). :)

I don't get it, is that a Joke? Does a 377/7 exist?

I've only ever been to Brighton once and it was a 377/6.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Cheers for the updates on everything guys! The time and effort taken is much appreciated and taken on board! :)

One slight query I've got is about the Edinburgh trams on the subject of light rail. That was quite a shambles last time I heard about it! :p :) Hopefully things have progressed slightly better since! :p

jnjkerbin

Cheers for the updates on everything guys! The time and effort taken is much appreciated and taken on board! :)

One slight query I've got is about the Edinburgh trams on the subject of light rail. That was quite a shambles last time I heard about it! :p :) Hopefully things have progressed slightly better since! :p

I believe the first trams will be running in passenger service from the end of the month :)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member

And it's going to be nice to get back on to the railway scene slowly but surely. Having so much going on in life can more than put you back a bit in terms of having time to concentrate on your own interests :p

Strathclyder

Established Member
Up here in Scotland:
  • 55022 Royal Scots Grey has been on hire to GB Railfreight for almost a year now, hauling Class 334s to & from Yoker to Kilmarnock for refurbishment. There are 8 Class 334s remaining in the old SPT colors, all the rest are in the Saltire colors.
  • The Class 320 refurbishment finished in October 2013. 320310 was the final unit to be done.
  • The Class 318 refurbishment started just two days after the final class 320 returned from Doncaster. 318251 went south on 5th October 2013 & returned on 28th March 2014, 318257 taking it's place.
  • The Cumbernauld Line electrification is nearing completion, with the first EMU running on 19th March 2014. Passenger services on the newly electrified route are due to begin on 19th May 2014 with the timetable change.
  • The Whifflet Line electrification is also gathering pace, with work expected to finish at the end of this year.
  • The Glasgow Subway refurbishment is also progressing well. Ibrox, Hillhead, Partick & Kelvinhall stations have all been completely refurbished. A Smart Card (similar to the Oyster Card) has been introduced, with new glass ticket barriers with tap-in/tap-out capabilities in all stations on the system, along with a ticket redesign.
That's all I can remember off the top of my head at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.