• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So you want to become a Train Driver...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionRail

everybody makes mistakes. take a look at the video on www.bebo.com/fusionprosound. after the trainspotting bird. thats him, and if you listen ull hear them say it, and then ring him. if you want any more proof then i cant give it to you but hey thats life:grin:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
So a voyager blasts his horn at you guys and he claims it's him... hardly proof is it?

If he were a driver I certainly wouldn't want to be on his train incase he decides to tilt between Newcastle and York and he'd certainly be able to answer these questions posed by members of staff active on the appropriate routes :

Where is the train crew mess room in newcastle, how many rooms does it consist of, what floor is it on?

If you loose power to lights and all auxillary services in a voyager and the engine sticks on idle, how do you reset this outside the TMS?

What routes does XC Newcastle sign? What's the speed over Ferryhill Junction on the up slow and at Danby Whiske?

Over to you!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The last couple of posts were removed due to being of an argumentive nature

VTDan

The reason i am not prepared to answer any of your questions craig are due
to the fact you were disrespecting my family. Theres an answer, dont try and start another argument with me im not in the mood.

Craig

Established Member
The reason i am not prepared to answer any of your questions craig are due
to the fact you were disrespecting my family. Theres an answer, dont try and start another argument with me im not in the mood.

Ok, I apologise for "disrespecting" the (approximately) 8 children and 5 wives that you "probably have".

Also, just to clarify, this alleged "mistake" you made about Newcastle to York being EPS clearly wasn't a comment about the ride being smoother in a 221. In this post you clearly claim that Newcastle to York is tilt enabled, which is complete rubbish. So either you're not a driver or you have no knowledge of a route you claim to sign in which case you shouldn't be driving.

Just so everyone is aware, having spoken to fusionrail and VTDan on MSN, it appears at the age of 16 fusionrail is in the royal army logistics corp and randomly drives 66s, 03s and 108s at an undisclosed MOD base. Don't mess with him, he's army! He's doing incredibly well considering.....

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/Jobs/JobDetail.htm?armyjobid=RLC240/249&category=3

17 and also a trained soldier which isn't exactly a two week course...

We do appreciate yourself taking regular time out from the barracks on the frontline to update us on VTDan!

Two compulsive liars I think...

Dave A

You can't become a train driver by knowing how to become one! Surely you spend years of hard work on the customer service front, learning about the railways from there, and then internally put in for the job of driver.

Then after a long period of studying the ins and outs of the mechanical and operational parts of the trains, you take various tests to see if you can do the job in practice. Once this happens, if you get the job, you then spend even more time training.

So all in all I reckon it takes about a good year at least for someone to become a train driver, and no DVD is going to show you how! All of you who think otherwise should think again in my opinion!

Having a look at that post you do suggest EPS between Newcastle and York! Now im not a driver but I know there is no EPS in between those two destinations.

I also had a look at other posts that you have made too and I see some of the things you said just dont add up. Up to you mate if you want to lie?

How old are you again?

Daniel

Established Member
So all in all I reckon it takes about a good year at least for someone to become a train driver, and no DVD is going to show you how! All of you who think otherwise should think again in my opinion!

For the record, I do intend to become a Customer Service operative for a few years first. If anything, it's because it'll be easier to apply for a drivers job as they advertise internally first. The same with the Cust. Serv. job, I may well have to become something lower than that for a year first anyway.

Ascot

Established Member
Alot of you know this but for those that don't i'll run through it.

EPS speeds are showin in Sectional Appendix Table A's for example NW4001.008 Mileage 14.19 CGJ7 (By Oxenholme).
epsbz1.jpg

Now The ECML is made up of roughly 3 sections (simply without the diversions)

1. [LN101]Kings Cross - Shafholme Junction (say 5 miles north of Doncaster)
2. [LN600]Shaftholme Jn - Reston GSP (above Berwick Upon Tweed and into Scottish)
3. [SC147]Berwick to Haymarket West Jn (Via Waverley)

We are talking about LN600.
1. LN600.007 22.30 Miles there is a SP speed which is Sprinter on the Down Slow
2. LN600.018 01.03 Miles there is a differential speed (20/50) on the Down Up Slow

Few Wrong directional speeds listed

That's all i can find what's not a "normal single PSR"

Few more things about 220/221s on LN600:
Route clearance is: None Restricted

Now doing a free text search for "EPS" shows
1. Route MD101 (Euston to Armitage) [WCML 1]
2. Route NW1001 (Armitage to Preston) [WCML 2]
3. Route NW4001 (Preston to Cove) [WCML 3]
4. Route NW5009 (Colwich to Cheadle) [Stoke on Trent bit]
5. Route SC001 (Gretna to Glasgow Central via Beattock) [WCML4]
6. Route NW4031 (Gretna to Annan (Excl.) [none on the ACTUAL line just showing on the WCML where it branches off]
7. Route NW4029 (Mossband to Bush-on-Esk) [same as above just showing the main line]

These are all classed as WCML no ECML. SC001 you could argue as that's part of Route 26.

Using a free text search it came up with 77 results all within those routes, no local instructions came up etc.. just Table A's.

And this is the most up to date information as of 10/10/07 @ 19:12

Juniper Driver

Established Member
No.If he gets caught it's a disciplinary procedure.Possibly the boot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For the record, I do intend to become a Customer Service operative for a few years first. If anything, it's because it'll be easier to apply for a drivers job as they advertise internally first. The same with the Cust. Serv. job, I may well have to become something lower than that for a year first anyway.

Not necessarily true.A lot of new drivers have come straight off of the street.Try getting a copy of Railnews.Possibly you can find where to write off of the interweb.When I applied for a job in the early 80-s we didn't have the interweb.Though if you are too young then it is possibly true.

westcoaster

Established Member
No.If he gets caught it's a disciplinary procedure.Possibly the boot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Not necessarily true.A lot of new drivers have come straight off of the street.Try getting a copy of Railnews.Possibly you can find where to write off of the interweb.When I applied for a job in the early 80-s we didn't have the interweb.Though if you are too young then it is possibly true.

railnews has a web site:
http://www.railnews.co.uk/jobs/index.html

alot of the drivers that were at the fcc assesment centres were of the street, all the blokes i spoke too were brickies, sparkeys or office workers.
one route woulld be to get an operational job on the railways then take promotion/progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.