• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Social Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
The pending discontinuation of the printed version of The Independent makes me wonder if I am on the only person on RailUK Forums who is not on Facebook or Twitter and does not posess a Smartphone or Kindle type device.

I am aware I have solicited this information before but wonder if some fellow luddites have succumbed and crossed to the "dark side". <D

In my view an electronic device is not the appropriate medium nor an adequate substitute for a Book or Newspaper :idea:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
I have a Kindle but I don't really use it - I don't think it's a substitute for a proper book. A book doesn't need me to carry a charger and find a socket. I can't lend my kindle to a friend. Maybe I'm old fashioned but it's just not the same.

I also still buy music on CD, and print my photos to put in an album. I just like physical "things"!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not on social media, however I am on this website, which I think would count as social media. The difference being one can talk about interesting things such as track layouts and EPB's, rather than boring tittle tattle, such as what one had for dinner and who's boffing who.

I don't read the Inde, but as a dedicated newspaper reader, it's a terrible day for journalism.

ExRes

Established Member
Facebook, no, twitter, no, smartphone, no, kindle, yes

We have a fair collection of real books at home but you can't argue against the fact that, when you're away, a kindle and its charger are a lot more sensible and manageable than a bag full of books

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like reading books and magazines when I'm out and about. You don't have to rely on technology and they're easier to read.

To this day, I have a separate smart phone and mp3 player partly because I don't want the risk of both of them going down at the same time.

newbie babs

No facebook, on twitter, don`t understand snapchat but its on my android phone anyway.
Love books not kindle.
Love the fact records (vinyl) are making a comeback, I can dust them off and play them without my kids laughing now.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
Facebook, no, twitter, no, smartphone, no, kindle, own one but don't use it.

Neither do I have a Wi-fi fridge, baby alarm, light bulbs, central heating nor anything else. I like to have things under my own control rather than that of someone in China or Microsoft.

Minilad

Established Member
Twitter can be a very good tool for getting news from a variety of sources in the same place.
It is very much the case that you will get out of twitter what you put in. Follow idiots and you will get idiots. Follow good accounts and you will get good info.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Officially I'm on Facebook and Twitter.
Twitter is just for Stagecoach updates only.
Facebook is for free talking and Star Trek news only.
Honestly I am getting bored of them both, I use to play Trainstation on Facebook but no longer do so.

I have a smartphone, it's very annoying, but my computer had constant updates and was Vista so this is easier, except when typing/copying/viewing/editting stuff etc.

I suggest you avoid them. I hate all three, but the phone was a gift from my sister so I have to use it.
Rail Forums is my favourite Social Media, there's alot less adverts, bullying, swearing, bad pictures etc which Facebook never gets rid of.

SS4

Established Member
Facebook: yes, twitter: no, smartphone: yes, kindle:no, skype: no

I'm pretty much dead in the middle here.

Facebook is only because my friends insist on using it for messaging instead of a free variant of XMPP and I'm just about not Stallmanite enough to issue an ultimatum.

As Minilad said Twitter can be handy for getting good info from the right sources and I get the impression it gets updated before the official website a lot of the time but I can never be bothered

Smartphone I couldn't really do without. I have been considering whether to ditch the google services on Android but I don't think the F-Droid repository is ready for my use case yet.

Never saw the point in a kindle. A proper book is better for reasons already listed but for me it comes down to a case of ownership. A physical book that I buy is mine forever and can be used however I see fit. Amazon are not going to let themselves into my home and take a book I bought off them yet they can (and have) do the equivalent of reaching into your kindle bookcase and taking it back - and you're obliged to let them in the T&C

One thing I have learned from the internet is that when the question "Am I the only one who x?" the answer is inevitably no.

CheesyChips

My work involves social media consultancy so it's such a nice feeling being able to read an actual tangible newspaper which isn't shrouded by images of cats and clickbait.

455driver

Veteran Member
I'm not on social media, however I am on this website, which I think would count as social media. The difference being one can talk about interesting things such as track layouts and EPB's, rather than boring tittle tattle, such as what one had for dinner and who's boffing who.

Very good post! :lol:

deltic

Established Member
Facebook no, twitter yes but only because I ran the company's account - find it useful for quicker news updates etc, have a smartphone - again due to work - no kindle

Prefer real books, newspapers and magazines but apart from the Economist which is classed a newspaper I no longer tend to buy papers, tend to get news from BBC

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The pending discontinuation of the printed version of The Independent makes me wonder if I am on the only person on RailUK Forums who is not on Facebook or Twitter and does not posess a Smartphone or Kindle type device.

I am aware I have solicited this information before but wonder if some fellow luddites have succumbed and crossed to the "dark side". <D

In my view an electronic device is not the appropriate medium nor an adequate substitute for a Book or Newspaper :idea:

My wife insisted I get a Smartphone about three years ago - no instruction booklet, staff in the store where I bought it assumed a basic level of knowledge that I don't possess, used it once, now sits in a drawer, a total waste of £80.

As a bookseller, I regard the Kindle as a work of the devil, naturally:), but my wife has one for long train trips.

As for Facebook and Twitter, what are they?:lol:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Instagram
iPhone 6
Android Phone (Work phone)
iPad Mini 4

I couldn't 'live' now without at least my phone just for the simple fact I'm constantly on the move and need access to my emails.

cf111

Established Member
Kindles are brilliant - I do loads of travelling and it saves me lugging books around because I read loads.

I have a Facebook but not a Twitter account.

me123

Established Member
I'm not any social media. I used to have MySpace (remember that?) and Facebook, but completely deleted everything a while ago and have no regrets. I do have a Google+ account, but I use it for a work-related thing and nothing else. I don't think I've even had to use it for the last 3 months!

I have, however, embraced technology. I use my iPhone on a daily basis. All my music is digital. It serves as a camera (I don't have an interest in photography enough to buy a "proper" one). It allows me access to the internet anywhere, which is incredibly useful. I have quite a few work-related apps that make my life significantly easier. I use it to buy my bus tickets, manage my bank account, and even pay for things now. I also have an iPad, which in part functions as a kindle/e-reader. I love the Kindle app. Whilst it's not the same as a physical book, I do find myself reading a lot more with the app, and reading lots of different things that I probably wouldn't have bought in physical form. However, I find it really doesn't work for reference books - I got a textbook that I can access in e-book format and it's just not useful.

I only occasionally buy a newspaper (usually when traveling), and get all my news online. I'm perfectly happy with this approach, it fits my needs much better. I prefer to read widely for my news, and most newspapers only have one journalistic standpoint.

fowler9

Established Member
Alright then, the point of a Kindle or other e-reader. You are on a low budget trip around the world. You have been tremendously hip and bought loads of books from charity shops around various parts of the world which you generously pass on when finished. You get to South America. The amazing low budget you planned for South America does not cover English Language books which you could download very cheaply on an e-reader. This is what happened to me. Ha ha.

Facebook, great, use it to stay in touch with lots of people across the planet. Twitter, not interested. If you don't like Facebook perhaps re assess who you have as friends.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suspended my Facebook account (it is impossible to actually delete it!) about 8 months ago, after realising that it was taking up all my time and energy. At first, I got itchy fingers whenever I was stuck with ten minutes waiting for a bus or train, but now that I've got used to not going onto the app at every opportunity it's amazing how I've managed to find more productive ways of passing time... I'd stopped reading but have rediscovered it again now, and the closest thing to social media I get involved in is this (and a few other) fora.

DelayRepay

Established Member
On the subject of Kindle, like I say I have one, but I don't really use it. I do read a lot and I can see how it would be convenient but I just prefer a physical book. And, I enjoy browsing a bookshop (or second hand bookshop) and picking something up. I don't usually go looking for a particular title, I just browse until I spot something interesting. I don't feel that I can use Amazon in the same way! I certainly can't kill half an hour in a different town browsing Amazon while I wait for someone/something!

TheNewNo2

Clearly I use social media, I'm here.

I have a Twitter account, and I technically have a facebook account because I signed up ages ago, but I haven't actually used it in quite a few years - I find that knowing that other people are out having fun isn't good for me.

I use Twitter a fair bit, it's a good way to check the morning headlines.

I have a smartphone (Android, because Apple is a goddamn cult), but I resisted buying one until this past September. However, I do find it quite useful, as it means I have internet access on the go, so for instance I can check RealTimeTrains while travelling. I can also now communicate with the people I'm going to visit easily if I want to say something but it's not so urgent I need to actually call them. I do have Skype, but pretty much just to talk to my parents. My main method of communication, including with my girlfriend, is via IRC.

I have owned a Kindle for two years now, but I don't see it as a book replacement. Most books I buy in paperback, but Kindles are quite useful for things you can dip into - for instance the collected Guardian columns of David Mitchell. I also like that I can read it in the dark, for instance while waiting through boring adverts at the cinema, or on the beach at Brighton in the moonlight. That said, I mainly got it because people keep making novellas which come out as ebooks but never make it to print. I have read a few heftier stories on it, for instance The Summer Man by SD Perry and Absolute Power by David Baldacci. I wouldn't have read either of them if they weren't in an Amazon sale, and, now I have bought the former as a present for others (very good book), it's a hell of a tome and makes me feel less bad about how long it took me to get through it.

I get all my news online, but mostly from old media sources - BBC, Washington Post, Guardian, New York Times.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On the subject of Kindle, like I say I have one, but I don't really use it. I do read a lot and I can see how it would be convenient but I just prefer a physical book. And, I enjoy browsing a bookshop (or second hand bookshop) and picking something up. I don't usually go looking for a particular title, I just browse until I spot something interesting. I don't feel that I can use Amazon in the same way! I certainly can't kill half an hour in a different town browsing Amazon while I wait for someone/something!

You're very right there (though Amazon physical bookshops now exist!).

Online shopping is great if you know exactly what you want, but if you don't then there's no substitute for going to a shop in person. In terms of shopping for birthdays and Christmas, I generally store up ideas over the year and buy what I can online (eg books I came across). Then in the weeks leading up to the day, I'll go out to a shopping centre (garden centre for my parents) and browse.

talltim

Established Member

I don't read the Inde, but as a dedicated newspaper reader, it's a terrible day for journalism.

Why can't you talk about track layouts and EPBs on Facebook?

talltim

Established Member
I always imagined it was full of normals !
I found a pic of an EPB in about 30 seconds on FB
I'm a member of 1900-1920s US railroading group, that's pretty esoteric

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I found a pic of an EPB in about 30 seconds on FB
I'm a member of 1900-1920s US railroading group, that's pretty esoteric

Oh well, I suppose that's not too bad then.

But I don't really need to go on there as I'm on here.

backontrack

Established Member
The Complete List Of The Social Media Accounts That I Have And Use

1. Google+
2. RailUK
3. Er...
4. That's it.

I also have an Apple ID (so have access to Messages, Mail and FaceTime) but I'm not sure that counts, really. Same deal with iCloud.

cb a1

Social Media to me is like shops.

Sure, I could probably live by only visiting Tesco but there's a big world of variety out there.

What I don't understand is the snobbery around either supermarkets or social media. "Oh no, I wouldn't be seen dead shopping in Lidl." "I don't go on Facebook, it's just full of people showing pictures of their lunch."

If you don't want to shop in Lidl or go on Facebook, that's fine, but why the need to denigrate those who do?

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm on Facebook though pretty passively as in I don't tend to post much myself... same with Twitter, mainly used to check on the Metrolink status before travelling :)

Instagram no, iPhone yes, and got my first kindle late last year and I love it, it's really got me back into reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.