• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sod Climate Change, let's fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
http://unlimited-spurt.org

Who cares about climate change. Let's fly more and more!

Notice to all TOCs planning to Re-engine their HSTs
MTU - Please take these engines out of these Power Cars and insert Valenta Back in
and also please put Engines back into the Ex-Costwold Rail Power Cars, thank you for your attention

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At first I thought SPURT was actually a serious society! :lol:

Nick W

Established Member
Generally not caring about 150,000 peple dying ealry a year just because they're from Africa should ring the irony bells.

Even more ironically, Greenpeace want nuclear material to be transported by plane instead of by rail :s

Julian G

Established Member
They don't want it transported by rail, and it can't go by road, so I don't see much othe option. Well I suppose sizewell and Sellafield are near the sea...
Dungeness is also near the sea

I hope GreenPeace isn't reading this forum, god imagine what would happen if they made a post in here!

If the Nuclear Flasks were operated by Class 66s, then I would allow GreenPeace to continue their actions, but obviously hauled by 20,37,47 then that will be a NO, so GreenPeace, f**k you, and stop placing Stickers on the Railway, Give up bloody idiots, you will always be defeated!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even more ironically, Greenpeace want nuclear material to be transported by plane instead of by rail :s
No they don't. This is the sort of post that makes people angry, and some people then snap and start swearing at you (well I've seen it happen on other forums).

As Metroland stated, they're anti Nuclear full-stop.

Unfortunately their arguments against transporting nuclear fuel by train are not well constructed, but it's hard to argue against their overall anti-nuclear power stance - remember that we are only transporting the waste around to store it, and NOT dealing with it!!!

Nick W

Established Member
It's a shame then that the stickers might scare people away from the rail.

Is there any type of power plant they like?

RE: London-Brussles flights
Aeroplanes use most of their energy getting into the sky, so it would indeed follow that at a short distance relative to air tavel in general that trains are far more efficient.

I imagine when the energy taken to maintain the railway and assemble track etc is taken into account, it wouldn't quite be 1:10 but still favour railway.

It's a shame that Stansted - Rodez return is still 5 times cheaper by Ryan Air than Felixstowe - Rodez rtn by train.

Dennis

Established Member
re Greenpeace and energy sources...just had a thought; isn't most of the rapeseed that is grown genetically modified? Are they comfortable with that or will they insist on only using organically grown rapeseed to make biodiesel?

Nick W

Established Member
Renewable energy: Wind and Solar mainly and some biomass. That said, some of them don’t like wind turbines because they look ugly (I don’t agree) and swot falcons and buzzards out the sky. And biomass only if it’s waste products – there’s a move against bio-fuels because vast monocultures of crop are very bad for the soil nutrients, bio diversity and water use.
So basically the only power they really like is solar, which would need pannels on every roof.
Good point, but large airports aint maintenance free either and use a lot of land. Honest the 'the slash' aint that heavy on the gas. Nuclear power in France helps a bit too.
I hear they use lots of nuclear power and are investing in more plants. I hope we do the same.

Are you planning to go from Felixstowe - Rodez by train?
Done it three times by Ryan Air. If you can find it £100 or less by train, ideally Felixstowe - Aurillac though, please let know.

asopu10

Green peace want renewable, the reason the turbines keep hitting birds is mainly because there put on their migration rutes and they seem to have this odd desire to fly into them. Most perculear. Green peace have an alliance with Npower and provide renewable energy from wind power through an offshore wind farm somewhere in the UK.

"Currently more than 100,000 tonnes of radioactive waste is stored in theUK, awaiting final disposal. The majority of the existing UK nuclear power stations will need to be decommissioned in the next 20-30 years, which will generate a substantial amount of radioactive waste to be disposed. The UK currently has no long-term solution. In 2002 the Government formed the Committee on Radioactive Waste Management (CoRWM) to make recommendations by the end of 2006 on the best option or combination of options in managing the UKs solid radioactive waste. The Royal Society has a long standing interest in the scientific aspects of this problem." (souce: The royal society). A lot of nucular waste beign disposed of is from other countries, including Germnay and France. Disposal of nucular watse makes the country a lot of money, but at what cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.