• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Soham station progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
The Cambridge & Peterborough Combined Authority had signed a contract for the building of a new station at Soham, on the little used (by passenger trains) line between Ely and Bury St Edmunds (and which doesn't currently allow a direct link to Cambridge).

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/new-station-for-soham-could-be-open-by-2022-says-mayor-1-6362561
A multi million contract to build a new rail station for Soham was signed this week with Network Rail.

Detailed design work can now start on the new station and footbridge, car and cycle park, plus an access road with bus turning circle.

The new station is expected to cost £21.8 million and CAPCA has already spent £2.7 million drawing up plans for the scheme.

Moderator note: This thread is for updates regarding the actual station itself.

To discuss the wider issues of how the new station could be the catalyst for improvements to the service along the route please see the following thread:

(2) Soham station re-opening: could this be the catalyst for service improvements? | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's certainly excellent news and a good example of what an engaged and pro-active Local Authority can achieve.

It's worth pointing out that even without the other enhancements to the route, even a 2-hourly service can be useful to people who need to get about, particularly those without access to a car.

Tio Terry

Let’s hope the construction works doesn’t find any unexploded ordinance! :D

I remember working on replacing the single to double line points at Soham, they were a trial set for 100mph turnouts for the ECML, lots of back drives and quite novel at the time.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Indeed so. I believe there is a memorial near where the explosion took place but I wonder perhaps if a memorial at the new Soham station might also be a good idea. If so it should feature Frank Bridges' name as well as those of Gimbert and Nightall.

Dave

Very much so , Signalman Bridge's actions were commendable - apart from having a go at the fire , he stayed at his post and did not run away. (on a personal basis I believe he had lost his son in the war).

I will (and some other "old" railway colleagues) will have another go at commemorating this very brave railwayman. The station re-opening will be a fine opportunity. We must also not forget the Ipswich guard involved.

bspahh

Established Member
On 1 May 2020, Network Rail submitted an application for permitted development of Soham station to East Cambridgeshire District Council
The new station at Soham will include:

• Construction of a single 99 metre platform to accommodate four car train services including waiting shelters, lighting, information screens and a public address system,
  • Installation of a stepped footbridge across the railway to connect to an existing public right of way, designed for any future installation of lifts for a potential second platform for any scheme.
  • Construction of a drop off point and a car park to accommodate 50 vehicles and five spaces for blue badge holders, as well as lighting masts.
  • Cycle parking and ticket vending machines on the station forecourt.

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Naming streets after the heroic railwaypersons would be a good way to honour and remember them

Signalman Bridges (not honoured with a GC - despite a heroic response) , had a naming after him in the town - the train crew (with the exception of the guard) had locomotives named after them. The industry has "cunning plans" for something we hope when the station opens. Deservedly.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
unsure as to the truth, but it has been rumoured that some of the land involved for the station belongs to one Mr J Palmer.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I am not sure. The 11th picture down in this news article about the disaster of 02-Jun-1944 shows the scene being cleared and, aside from showing the colossal damage, gives the impression that Soham station either had an island platform with tracks on both sides or was double track and that the line on the right in that photo is a siding. Incidentally when I was looking at that article this evening (30th September) there was also a link to a video mockup of how the new Soham station might look. Rather suggests possible provision for a second platform and track?

The double line used to go a little further than its current extent. IIRC it was shortened slightly when resignalled in ‘92, to help get the higher speed turnout in, and to fit the crossing controls in correctly.

Yes the new station will have space for a second track and platform.

bspahh

Established Member
The double line used to go a little further than its current extent. IIRC it was shortened slightly when resignalled in ‘92, to help get the higher speed turnout in, and to fit the crossing controls in correctly.

Yes the new station will have space for a second track and platform.

https://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2020/02/01/soham-railway-station/ has a postcard showing the station with 2 platforms

This map from 1958 https://maps.nls.uk/view/189255548 shows sidings and that the double track used to extend to a bit closer to Ely

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Well they wouldn’t, as planning is supposed to be done on green signals. A second train following can only get a green at the start of the single line when the first train has cleared it. Some extra signals would help there, but may not help overall - that depends on the planning headway from Haughley to Soham. I seem to remember a long black section from Elmswell to the Bury Home.

Are all the signals* definitely shown on the OpenTrainTimes map? I seem to recall as you pass towards Cambridge at the Ely end, you can see a Yellow/Green repeater, which might be CA498R; if so you could pass Ely Dock on a green (with CA498 in Red, CA498R on Yellow) without the previous train being clear at Soham.

*For example, the "distants" approaching Littleport from Downham Market (Signal 4) and vice versa (Signal 27) are omitted from the map.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are all the signals* definitely shown on the OpenTrainTimes map? I seem to recall as you pass towards Cambridge at the Ely end, you can see a Yellow/Green repeater, which might be CA498R; if so you could pass Ely Dock on a green (with CA498 in Red, CA498R on Yellow) without the previous train being clear at Soham.

*For example, the "distants" approaching Littleport from Downham Market (Signal 4) and vice versa (Signal 27) are omitted from the map.

You are of course right. Most of the signals on the single line have distants not shown on OTT.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Standards impose a maximum distance between a stop signal and the signal displaying a cautionary aspect for a train to stop there. From memory it's 50% more than the minimum distance, but subject to various exceptions. So if the stop signals are more than a couple of miles apart there's likely to be a distant involved.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Cambridge & Peterborough Combined Authority had signed a contract for the building of a new station at Soham, on the little used (by passenger trains) line between Ely and Bury St Edmunds (and which doesn't currently allow a direct link to Cambridge).

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/new-station-for-soham-could-be-open-by-2022-says-mayor-1-6362561

In the ongoing absence of the Ely North improvements, with redoubling of the line under review, and with no concrete plans for upgrading Haughley Junction there's no sign of the franchise commitment for an hourly service on the line actually happening.

Further, with no curve allowing Newmarket to Soham services, with the line from Cambridge to Newmarket being mainly singled, with Cambridge station being congested, and with Network Rail believing that existing capacity on that line is sufficient until 2040, there's little sign of services to Cambridge that might truly unlock the potential of a new station.

It seems like it is headed for being a remarkably poorly served station that stands to be of limited use; I hope its existence creates pressure for the projects that will allow it to be useful and used to go ahead.

I was struggling to think of the last reopening in order to receive such a poor service. Even Beauly received a comparatively more useful service on reopening, and it only cost about 250k (in early 2000s prices) rather than £22m!

Some ariel photos of the work in progress have been published.

Construction to begin on new rail station | Ely Standard
Construction work on the £18.6m Soham station is entering its main phase, meaning engineers will need to work on or near the track to build the 99-metre platform and footbridge.

Network Rail is therefore advising Greater Anglia passengers making essential weekend journeys between Ipswich and Peterborough via Ely to check before travelling.

Neen Sollars

Yes a very positive event and credit to the pro active Mayor of Soham. The mock up of Soham Station is very impressive, I like these clean and functional new stations. Question please: the Ely Standard mock up shows a train heading I think towards Ely. When the CG pans south east how far is it until the double track starts?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes a very positive event and credit to the pro active Mayor of Soham. The mock up of Soham Station is very impressive, I like these clean and functional new stations. Question please: the Ely Standard mock up shows a train heading I think towards Ely. When the CG pans south east how far is it until the double track starts?

The station is basically located at the point where the current single/double transition is located; so the platform will (from what I figure) be right at the end of the single line section, immediately before the transition to double track.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I thought Soham closed because the station was blown up and they never thought it worthwhile to rebuild one? Obviously different if there's already one there, but finding the cash to actually effectively build one from scratch is a lot harder to justify.

MikeWM

Established Member
I may be talking nonsense, but I believe there's a memorial to Gimbert/Nighthall in Littleport of all places.

No, you're correct - I encountered this by accident last summer. It's attached to the library. I took a photo:

Attachments

• LPort.jpg
    LPort.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 58

alistairlees

Established Member
I am still astonished that the cost is £18.6m for:
  • one 99m * 2.5m (approx) platform with metal fence, lighting, small shelter
  • footbridge (steps only) to span two tracks
  • 55 car parking spaces, with lighting
  • access road of approx 300m with turning circle with lighting
  • two(?) ticket machines
  • no doubt provision of utilities such as electrics
  • no doubt some drainage and other preparation work
But the site is flat, extremely easy to access, looks like it requires no significant prep work and doesn't look like it has significant issues from previous buildings / etc.

Could anyone provide a cost breakdown? Where does all the money go?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I am still astonished that the cost is £18.6m for:
  • one 99m * 2.5m (approx) platform with metal fence, lighting, small shelter
  • footbridge (steps only) to span two tracks
  • 55 car parking spaces, with lighting
  • access road of approx 300m with turning circle with lighting
  • two(?) ticket machines
  • no doubt provision of utilities such as electrics
  • no doubt some drainage and other preparation work
But the site is flat, extremely easy to access, looks like it requires no significant prep work and doesn't look like it has significant issues from previous buildings / etc.

Could anyone provide a cost breakdown? Where does all the money go?

Possession costs on a major freight route might have something to do with it.

Taunton

Established Member
But still £18m for one platform at a station presumably unstaffed is extraordinary. Assuming the trackside can be fenced, it's only when you finally come to do the platform (and the outer edge of that) that there needs to be any impact on rail operations.

Who is the main contractor at Soham? We can find out how much the construction contract is for, and how much NR are just loading the actual build costs to cover their internal overheads.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I understand that there will be tamping to realign the railway line through the station so that it is optimised for a station stop at this location. There are no major changes required to the infrastructure such as signalling as far as I am aware.

Other costs that are regularly forgotten are the creation of a robust power supply for the station including connection into the grid. Design consultants, Quantity Surveyors and the legal team who will need to establish various items of legalese.

Also costs with various surveys. Wildlife and Archaeology can have all sorts of fun and games.

I seem to recall some issues with S&T cables through the station site that had contributed to the cost. You cannot just place a platform over the cables.

alistairlees

Established Member
I understand that there will be tamping to realign the railway line through the station so that it is optimised for a station stop at this location. There are no major changes required to the infrastructure such as signalling as far as I am aware.

Other costs that are regularly forgotten are the creation of a robust power supply for the station including connection into the grid. Design consultants, Quantity Surveyors and the legal team who will need to establish various items of legalese.

Also costs with various surveys. Wildlife and Archaeology can have all sorts of fun and games.

I seem to recall some issues with S&T cables through the station site that had contributed to the cost. You cannot just place a platform over the cables.
Thanks. I did mention power supply, but neglected to mention legals or the need for surveys for wildlife or archaeology. I wasn't aware that some changes to track aliggnment were being made. Is moving S&T cabling really that expensive? And how much does design cost? I thought a large amount of that was done in the earlier phases (i.e. before the £18.6m)?

In any case, how much do these things cost? What is actually the cost of the footbridge or the platform or the car park surfacing? What are the materials costs? What are the materials needed anyway for building a platform (I realise there are many more things in the station!)?

Thanks. But how much?

Taunton

Established Member
The railway has always had a fascination with having their "own" power supply at stations, in the middle of a town where everyone else just connects to the public supply. I recall a station approach in Somerset where three street lights were installed, and they put in their own substation. The local authority actually offered to extend their streetlighting at minimal cost, but this was deemed "not to standards".

The fact is, if you look at electricity supply failures, that the bulk of them happen upstream of wherever they are going to plug their own transformer into. Whatever power supply is required other than lighting at an unstaffed halt?

Status
Not open for further replies.