• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Solari animation film

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertcyjones

Some of you may find this animation of a Solari board I just posted on You Tube interesting.

These were the opening credits for a short film for the BBC Film Club and was based on the Solari boards at Victoria, although the station names are a hypothetical 'journey' of an actress going from Fenchurch Street station to Hollywood via Southend (where she lived) and Saddleworth (where I'm from), with a few jokes in between ('Oh I do love to be Batter-Sea-Side' and 'Up the Junction' - I live in Battersea).

The Solari sounds were recorded live at Liverpool St Station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tKowzqTtE

Regards

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metrocammel

Ashton is mentioned!!! :D

And Saddleworth Station!! That shut in the 1960s! :s It's a shame it didn't use Ashton's full title, Ashton Charlestown :P

Nice though, it's a shame Solari's are almost a thing of the past now :(

williamn

Are they still in use anywhere in the UK?
I don't know why they have been replaced - they still seem to be commonly used on the continent.

A60K

I don't know why they have been replaced - they still seem to be commonly used on the continent.

But getting replaced in a lot of places across Europe as well now, mainly with LED displays. A bit of a shame, but probably inevitable given the greater flexibility of electronic displays. Remember before the Solari displays when you had boards that were hollow with men running around inside, changing wooden name plates in slots!

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Montparnasse terminal in Paris certainly still has them, I noticed when there recently but IIRC consisted of individual letters (obviously with A, B, C etc) to make up the words. I much prefer the procession of station names we used to see. Maybe it better congures up the anticipation of of a journey through all those places (or for a commuter leaving Waterloo for home in the 80s for example, maybe the dread!!)

I seem to recall the opening sequence of Clockwise (John Cleese film, mid-80s) featured a mock-up one of these boards which when it stopped showed the cast names etc rather than station names (a scene in the film involves Cleese getting on the wrong train).

Sticks in my memory, but can't seem to find that particular sequence on youchoob!

Jordy

Established Member
Here is an example of a Swiss solari (or solari-style!) board I found in Neuchatel

[youtube]GFqMmYDG60E[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.