• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Solo travel abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I am a great fan of Amtrak travel, both in the roomy coach seats and the sleeper car options. Most long distance Amtrak trains have a sightseer lounge car, with huge windows. which is great for meeting other folk. I even got invited to stay on a Menonite farm by a chap I got into conversation with in the lounge! Still very good value, Chicago to San Francisco in coach seats is still only about $150.

So glad I did that trip - apart from excellent conversations with AMTRAK staff (including swopping rail badges and so on , sitting in the lounge car with the conductor and listening in on the despatchers radio conversations was amazing) , - it really is the best way to travel.

Found some good other company - and we agreed to stay together in SF for a few days , I ought to track her down :D - or maybe not. Long time ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
I've enjoyed many holidays on my own, and generally haven't had any issues with solo travel. I've been to Belgium, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Poland on solo trips.
I really enjoy exploring places on my own, as well as travelling about on bus, tram and train on geeky adventures. I can do whatever I like when I like, and I really enjoy that.

I'm glad that I enjoy my own company, but 5 days is probably my limit until I start feeling a bit lonely! I'm not very sociable, so I find it difficult to strike up a conversation with other people (and anyone who usually sits next to me on a train or plane is usually asleep or engrossed in their phone anyway). The difficult thing is eating out in the evenings. I did it once in Poland, and I felt so awkward. No doubt it depends on the place you are and the restaurant itself, as others have suggested here - hopefully I'll try it again one day. Usually I use supermarkets to get my breakfast for the next day, have a large-ish meal at a cafe or restaurant (I've never really felt awkward during the day), and then tend to have my lunch in the evenings instead in my hotel room. I've also felt fairly comfortable at a bar or pub alone in the evenings too (although I make sure I choose wisely!)

I do usually stay in a hotel. Some people think I'm a snob or something for not wanting hostels, but to be honest I would really hate sharing a room at night with strangers. To get to sleep, I need complete silence and everything almost blacked out. Travelling is tiring enough without getting proper sleep. However, I have stayed in a hostel before in Innsbruck, but I booked a single en-suite room. This meant I had my own privacy, but still got the atmosphere of a hostel in the bar area. I usually sat there in the evening having a drink just to be around other people. If you are more sociable than me, no doubt you could strike up a conversation there.

I still enjoy travelling with others though, and I've had some great holidays. When travelling with others, even if they are really accepting, it is still a bit difficult to go off alone and do something 'obscure'. And to be honest, I don't really like to either - sometimes it's good to just chill out with friends rather than rushing about to try out different transport where you usually need to spend ages planning. Although some of the obscure stuff appeals to friends as well, such as the tram/cogwheel railway/children's railway/chairlift circle you can do in Budapest that's in many guidebooks. And I often recommend a tourist attraction where you just happen to need to use an obscure method of transport to get there ;)

I'd certainly recommend it. Like others have said, being alone can push your boundaries. While I'm not a very sociable person (but wants to be much more so), solo travel pushed me to talk to others more, and has really helped to improve my confidence. While thankfully most places have plenty of people who understand English, it's been good to force me to try and learn a few basic phrases in each country I've been too - especially as much of the obscure transport is often in non-touristy areas.

Word of warning though: don't drink lots of Belgian beer alone and then get lost at night while a little bit drunk. That was one of my earlier trips when I didn't realise how strong their stuff is.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
I'll happily concur with pretty much all of the the above comments.

The pros:
You get to decide exactly where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. without having to compromise with someone else's ideas.
You're more likely strike up conversations with people you've never met before.
If things don't work out as expected because you've messed up the planning, no-one else is going to moan at you for the next week...
If things go wrong, you're the one rising to the challenge of sorting it out :)
Being woken up every few hours by the sound of crossing bells, train horns and mile or two of freight train rumbling through town... :D

The cons:
The occasional quiet evening after you've eaten alone in the only half-decent place still open in a roadside 'pit stop' town...

MarcVD

I’m 62 and married. Wife not particularly interested in trains, but doesn't mind for a couple of hours, more if there is some good scenery, or the occasional night in a sleeper. But definitely not 3 consecutive days. We started long distance travel about 10 years ago, when kids stopped vacationing with us. Usually, if possible, I travel by train, she flies, and we meet at some decided in advance place and time. And I always prepare everything before leaving, so we both know precisely where we'll be sleeping every night of the trip. Of course Internet and mobile phones added lots of practically to that. Possibly, but not always, same scenario on the way back. I have been to Iran, Morocco, Russia, Israel, Uzbekistan, and Croatia that way. Once on site we stay together. If we move on site, we try to do it by train, when possible. Best of both worlds. Expensive, though...

urbophile

Established Member
Italy for example is generally a nation of extroverts and food is a very social thing for them, so they might be a little confused (although I ate solo perfectly fine in a touristy restaurant in Florence once) but they will still serve you!
I've never felt out of place or uncomfortable dining alone in Italy. Small family restaurants as well as more anonymous places. But I think if I was staying in one city for more than a couple of nights I'd prefer to be in an apartment so that I could slob out over a takeaway or a self-cooked meal.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Travelling alone seems to be quite normal, although one has enjoyed reading of intrepid travellers getting into trouble cycling through the wilderness.

I guess anywhere that has a railway is moderately developed at least, one rarely needs the safety of being in a group.

In a country where one can speak the language, I should not like to be on an organised tour with a fixed itinerary.

What about advantages and disadvantages of travelling with family, friends, a big group? Town-twinning exchange trips seem good but I fear they are less popular now.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
I actually enjoyed travelling by myself, previously I used to go with a mate to beach holidays until one time I wanted to go to Rhodes and he wasn't available, I decided to go by myself and it turned out I actually enjoyed it, being away from everybody, enjoy my own space and explore local culture at my own pace, ok so I couldn't really go to clubs and bars unless it's a football night, at times I felt like killing my room mate as by the time 2 weeks were up, our bad habits would wind each other up, I've been using package holiday companies to get cheap breaks to Spain, Greece and Turkey, you could get decent single holidays without paying supplements, eventually I started going further afield to America and Canada several times and once did a 5 week road trip from San Francisco via several national parks to Boston, Philadelphia then to Quebec, Niagara Falls, Edmonton, Vancouver, West Coast seeing Redwood trees back to San Francisco with 50% of the time sleeping in cars.

I had a 12 week and 6 week round world trip covering lots of countries including North Korea and travelled back to Beijing by train via Dandong, Hawaii is my favourite destination of all.

Many advantages of travelling solo, quicker, more flexible, cheaper, own pace, meet interesting people along the way.

It's was great when the pound was very strong $1.95 = £1 etc. Last minute package holidays was also very cheap if you're flexible with your options often paying no more than £300 for 2 weeks all in.

Alas that is no longer possible as prices went through the roof, I was actually quoted £1,200 for 2 weeks Tenerife ! Pre pandemic of course, so I started to do Staycation holidays visiting heritage railways and open air museums.

You can still have a good time solo travel wherever you go, just be flexible, do your research and have a back up plan.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I’m 62 and married. Wife not particularly interested in trains, but doesn't mind for a couple of hours, more if there is some good scenery, or the occasional night in a sleeper. But definitely not 3 consecutive days. We started long distance travel about 10 years ago, when kids stopped vacationing with us. Usually, if possible, I travel by train, she flies, and we meet at some decided in advance place and time. And I always prepare everything before leaving, so we both know precisely where we'll be sleeping every night of the trip. Of course Internet and mobile phones added lots of practically to that. Possibly, but not always, same scenario on the way back. I have been to Iran, Morocco, Russia, Israel, Uzbekistan, and Croatia that way. Once on site we stay together. If we move on site, we try to do it by train, when possible. Best of both worlds. Expensive, though...
My wife hates ferries, so we have done the split drive/fly to Paris and then try and meet up at CDG, then on by car.
Not knowing there was actually a central rendezvous point at CDG, we circled T1 for an hour before bumping into each other...
No mobile phones then, or Eurostar, but luckily no disruption.
We did similar between North and South Islands of New Zealand, with me on the Interislander ferry and she in the air, with no problems.

Familiarity also helps ward off the strangeness and uncertainty of foreign travel.
I've now used some European rail hubs enough times to know what to expect there, and to search out the nice from the dodgy.
Always nice to return to a good hub like Köln Hbf (or any Hbf really in DE/AT) for shops, eateries or just to walk about for a bit and catch the mood.
Not so keen on big Italian stations, though, or their environs.
Everywhere seems to have a familiar Upper Crust these days, although your UK loyalty card won't work!
The low point for my sort of trips is usually the return check-in process for Ryanair/easyJet, where you are kept prisoner in grim surroundings until they can be bothered to let you board.

jamesr

I agree with much of what others posted - I live in East Asia (which helps, because most cities are completely safe to walk around at night) but I’ve also made extensive solo trips around Europe. My work involves plenty of travel all over Asia (well, it did until early 2020!!), and I always attach a weekend to one end or the other of my business trips to have a look around whatever city I’m visiting.

Firstly, to the OP’s post, I do occasionally have interesting interactions with cafe staff, or make friends with the passenger sitting opposite me - but this is very much the exception rather than the norm - don’t consider yourself a failure if this doesn’t happen. I’ve always suspected people who write travel books or film travel documentaries exaggerate or make up half these interactions!

I’ve learnt over the years to do solo travel in cities rather than beach resorts, or small towns - as others have said, the evenings can drag in such places for my personal tastes. In cities, during the days, I quite often mark a few interesting places on my phone map, walk vaguely between them, and be prepared for my plans to be completely changed if I find something more interesting on the way (I can do whatever I want on my own). In the evening, I quite often do the “public transport” bits that interest me - head for the interesting rail line, or the tramway, or the railway station, whatever and aim to get back to the hotel at 10.30/11pm.

I’ve never had an issue with eating alone (I travel for business a lot so I’m used to it), but I don’t massively enjoy sitting in restaurants for hours on my own and tend to avoid it. If I do it, I read something interesting on my phone as I’m eating, which, let’s be honest, is what half the world does now. I sometimes eat from street stalls in Asia (which is part of the experience of visiting somewhere), buy myself a bunch of stuff from a 7-11 to eat back in the room, or even, if I’ve walked all night, or I’m in a place where the language barrier is too great (secondary cities in mainland China, for example), treat myself to a McDonalds (something I don’t really do at home). Hotel breakfasts, for some reason, never feel as strange as dinner alone!

Enjoy the opportunity to do exactly what you want to do, wake up and sleep, walk and eat when you want to. I travel regularly with others, but I enjoy my solo trips a lot, and enjoy the chance to do whatever I want without having to account for the tastes of others.

Established Member
I took advice from a Lonely Planet guide book many years ago:

"Don’t worry about whether your trip will work out. Just go!"

So if no one else wanted to come along I just went. It helps if you are comfortable talking about anything to anyone, and Google translate comes to the rescue if needed these days. Too many highlights to mention but here’s a few:

Sharing a sleeper car from Warsaw to Kiev with a Russian language translator who translated from Chinese (all different types) to Russian (where do you start?!), while next door was a Swiss girl going to Turkmenistan for social work, and a Polish girl who was on holiday before starting a media study course in Norwich of all places. Fortunately English was the common language.

Sharing a 6 berth couchette from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, we all hit the bar together when the train went on the ferry.

Travelling in a compartment with an Italian family travelling to Pisa, who insisted on sharing their lunch with me. Lovely people.

Numerous Amtrak dining car conversations, they love an English accent, once they’ve worked out you aren’t Australian. Only once have I been glad to finish my meal while two lawyers discussed the finer points of real estate building regulations.

ac6000cw

Established Member
although one has enjoyed reading of intrepid travellers getting into trouble cycling through the wilderness.
I do think you have to be a bit more careful when travelling alone sometimes - like deciding if it's a dodgy part of town at night, or 'should I risk taking the rental car down this rutted dirt track to get to that perfect photo location?'

But on the other side of the coin, I've had some treasured moments on solo trips 'off the beaten track' - like when I popped into a Dairy Queen in a backwoods West Virginia small town for a coffee. The young lady behind the counter registered my English accent, did a double-take and asked the usual "You're from England?" question. After I answered yes, she then said "So what are you doing out here??". I answered something like "I'm a railfan on vacation, I'm interested in American railroads" and the look of incredulity (and the glances she exchanged with her equally young colleague) were priceless - I think she decided I was definitely in the 'alien from outer space' category :)...

On an LA - Chicago Amtrak trip, I was sitting next to a guy with guitar who was "goin' to Memphis" to try his luck as a musician. He got into conversation with someone across the gangway who also played the guitar, they decided to have an impromptu jam session in the lounge car late that evening and I got invited along as the audience - very nice way to round off the day and pure serendipity....

In a country where one can speak the language, I should not like to be on an organised tour with a fixed itinerary.

What about advantages and disadvantages of travelling with family, friends, a big group? Town-twinning exchange trips seem good but I fear they are less popular now.
I think 'specific interest' group trips can work well - I've done one 'rail enthusiast' group trip (to the US) and it was great, and my wife has done a few birdwatching group trips which she enjoyed - and groups can get access to places and events that individuals can't. But for general holidays and exploration, we usually prefer to organise our own trips (mostly as a couple) and keep things flexible.

I did couple of month-long Interrail trips after finishing Uni with a couple of friends and they worked out OK, but subsequently I did mostly solo, self-organised trips & holidays for the next 8 years - until I met my wife and my world changed :). As I have a strong interest in American railways which my wife doesn't share, my subsequent 'enthusiast' trips across the Atlantic have been mostly solo ones - which keeps both of us happy.

"Don’t worry about whether your trip will work out. Just go!"
I agree.

nanstallon

I prefer if possible to travel with a friend, or small group of friends, but if nobody else wants to go to a destination that appeals to me, then I'm happy to go on my own. I used to use hostels a lot, as it gave opportunities to meet other travellers. Now, getting older, I prefer to have my own room in order to get a better night's sleep. Eating alone never bothered me; I tended to seek out busy places obviously patronised by locals, because they would know where to get a decent meal!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Unless your fortunate to have a partner or friend who enjoys long distance rail travel and wandering around foreign cities and towns while carrying your own backpack (and if you do have consider yourself very lucky),if you want to travel you either go solo or don’t go,I’m sure we’ve all read those travel books were our intrepid author travelling alone only has to walk into some lonely cafe/bar/waiting room etc to be made into one of the family and treated like a local and every minute of every day is full of adventure and fun thing’s happening but what is the reality?
Little things like eating alone in a restaurant at night,not having someone to share the ticketing/which platform/missed connection hassle and I guess just the sheer loneliness of being in a beautiful place and having no one to share it with.
Basically what I’m asking is what are the advantages of travelling abroad alone and even if your comfortable with your own company if there are low times and how you deal with these?.
Thank you.

This is a great question and there are some amazing answers here. However, we are all responding with our own personal experiences, and what is often left unsaid are the obvious things about us: age, gender, race. Travelling solo in places where you don't speak the language will have added complexity depending on who you are. A solo woman will, unfortunately, be subject to unwanted and even predatory attention at certain times and in certain places. If your ethnicity is in the minority in the locale, you also may not feel comfortable. It saddens me that many of my non-white friends (and even mixed white/non-white couples) have experienced racism across the UK and Europe in the form of verbal abuse on the street or being refused service in cafés, etc. I don't want to provoke a debate in this thread, but I hope we can acknowledge that it is substantially easier to travel solo almost anywhere in the world if you are a white cis-man, which I think represents the dominant demographic in this forum.

So we don't know who you are or how old you are. Nonethelesss I want to encourage you to find the travel that inspires and rewards you.

Over the years , for various reasons loads. The most impressive being NYC to San Francisco by rail in 1984. Superb as I met so many interesting people. (with a priv rate on Amtrak it was less than a £100)

I am a great fan of Amtrak travel, both in the roomy coach seats and the sleeper car options. Most long distance Amtrak trains have a sightseer lounge car, with huge windows. which is great for meeting other folk. I even got invited to stay on a Menonite farm by a chap I got into conversation with in the lounge! Still very good value, Chicago to San Francisco in coach seats is still only about $150.

I love these recollections by @ChiefPlanner and @OldandRambling - I too have travelled a lot in America and Canada, and rail travel there is very different. In April and May 2006, I used the (discontinued) North America Rail Pass to travel around the USA and Canada (I blogged about it here). Trains are slower, less frequent and less of an every-day experience. VIA Rail in Canada is (outside the Ontario/Quebec "corridor") quite an expensive affair, and weighted more to tourists. But Amtrak serves an important social function, akin to Greyhound, and I used the Sightseer lounges and Dining Cars to meet all manner of people from every stratum of US society (from down-and-out alcoholics, banned from flying; to a retired US senator and his wife).

(That said, apart from NYC, Chicago, DC and maybe SF, US cities are not at all geared up for solo travellers. Amtrak stations are generally in very sketchy neighbourhoods with no matching infrastructure... so have a plan for when you arrive and depart somewhere!)

For me (30+, white cis-male), what I have realised is that travel reveals and brings to the surface a lot of underlying emotions that were there before I travelled. I went out on that North America trip with a sense of adventure, but spent a lot of the in-between moments reflecting on my personal life, family, home, etc. Some of those were positive, but some were negative as well. No matter how scenic the landscapes or enthralling the interactions, you will be away from your home, bed, and all the things that ordinarily bring you comfort. So when you start to feel the "Sunday scaries" (i.e. those everyday moments of doubt or depression), you don't have as much insulation.

The Christmas before that trip, while spending a year living and working in Canada, I found myself in November facing the prospect of my first Christmas alone, in a rented but shared apartment. I couldn't afford to fly home to see family, so I bought a cheap trip to Cuba and spent a week in Havanna. The trip was miserable. It was Christmas, so everything was closed for much of the trip, all around me families were celebrating being together, and I didn't speak a word of Spanish. Hostels were (and I think still are) non-existent, so I had to rent an approved tourist room in a private home. There are only so many sundowner mojitos you can enjoy on your own. That was an example of a badly planned trip which did nothing to address the underlying emotional state I was in when I went on the trip. I could have stayed in Canada and been just as miserable and saved $1000...

I absolutely love @takno's story of panic-travelling. I completely understand this:

The worst problem I used to have was panic-travelling. I would have made general plans to swan around an area like the Balkans, staying 2 or 3 nights in various places, but I'd land up off a sleeper train at 7am, bleary eyed in a tatty part of town and with no hostel booked. Before I'd had time to look for a hostel the panic had started to rise, and before I knew it I'd booked on the next train out. I've still basically never seen Bucharest at all for this reason. My take on this now is to always book the first night anywhere, even if you only do it the night before you travel, or even on the train on way there.

Finally, lots of thoughts on the hardest logisitcal part of solo travelling... the eating.

Often travel alone. Do get asked why? from acquaintances, guess its not their thing. Do love the freedom. I find solo dining easier abroad if you can sit outside.

Eating alone is a significant issue for me. I tend to either eat at a bar with snacks, fill up at breakfast where being alone is more normal-feeling, or eat sandwiches on the move. Between those I haven't had to sit down for a solo restaurant experience since 1997. Included breakfast buffets (fingers crossed they make a full return) and shop snacks can also be a good way of keeping costs down.

Everyone has to eat, but when you are travelling you have to go out and find food in places which generally cater to people being sociable. Again, if you are a woman, this can be harder than if you are a man. I like @route101's tip about eating outside. Parisian cafés are a great example, with all their rows of chairs facing outwards to the street, where it is quite acceptable to sit alone, eat lunch and enjoy the view.

If you want to eat at a pub or a bar, consider sitting at the bar itself. Bartenders will usually be more than happy to help if you explain you are eating alone and - if you need it - intervene politely but firmly if you want to be left alone by other people.

Finally - take something to read. Although printed newspapers seem to be a dying medium, try to buy one in every city you visit. It doesn't matter if you don't speak or read the language. Just take your time, you'll be amazed how much you absorb. That, or a paperback book, is the perfect companion to dining alone, and usually works as a signal if you don't want to be disturbed. (Remember also that David Bowie always used to carry a Greek newspaper when he travelled by London Underground, so as not to be disturbed by fans.)

ac6000cw

Established Member
Everyone has to eat, but when you are travelling you have to go out and find food in places which generally cater to people being sociable. Again, if you are a woman, this can be harder than if you are a man. I like @route101's tip about eating outside. Parisian cafés are a great example, with all their rows of chairs facing outwards to the street, where it is quite acceptable to sit alone, eat lunch and enjoy the view.

If you want to eat at a pub or a bar, consider sitting at the bar itself. Bartenders will usually be more than happy to help if you explain you are eating alone and - if you need it - intervene politely but firmly if you want to be left alone by other people.

Finally - take something to read. Although printed newspapers seem to be a dying medium, try to buy one in every city you visit. It doesn't matter if you don't speak or read the language. Just take your time, you'll be amazed how much you absorb. That, or a paperback book, is the perfect companion to dining alone, and usually works as a signal if you don't want to be disturbed. (Remember also that David Bowie always used to carry a Greek newspaper when he travelled by London Underground, so as not to be disturbed by fans.)
I'd agree with all of that - especially the 'sitting at the bar' part. If nothing else, watching the bar staff making cocktails etc. can be interesting, as can the cooking activities behind the counter in something like an American diner.

If I'm not in the mood for that, then my usual alternative is to get a takeaway/picnic food and find somewhere outdoors to watch the world go by for while. I also tend to start the day early when I'm travelling, so that tends to minimise the evening 'dark hours' time anyway.

Last edited:

scarby

I have travelled solo quite a lot in Europe, notably Germany and France.

I can only really echo some of the comments already made. You are your own boss, so as someone mentioned, if you want to go and visit an obscure historical site or suchlike, it is no problem. For example, in 2018 I visited Celle, purely because my father was stationed in the RAF there, and I went to look at the entrance to the base, simply to walk in his footsteps. This would have been of zero interest to most other people.

Basically you can be completely self-centered - if you are hungry you can eat, and where you want to, if you want to go to bed at 9pm you can do so.

Also if things get tricky with trains and other transport, such as arduous days and/or missed connections, cancellations, you only have you to deal with, you don't have to calm someone telling you what a disaster it is. Only you has to decide whether to press on or not - if you need to leg it through a subway for a 3 minute connection at Bremen in 30 degrees heat, only you have to do this.

I am pretty self-sufficient and low maintenance, which I am sure helps. I am not really interested in touristy places and prefer to seek out something on the margins. You tend to get better interactions in these situations, because locals are genuinely interested if you decide to stay in Essen, where you are something of a curiosity, rather than just another tourist in Paris.

I am happy sitting alone in a pub/bar during the evening, particularly if it is a good brewpub! I seek out and research the best places for beer before I go anywhere.

oldman

My jaunts to Central Europe became solo because I was not much fun for a monoglot-English speaker (as was made clear by said MES). I was happily reading signs in shop windows - Polish nail-extensions are tipsy, Macdonalds in Budapest sell sajtburgers, not just in Budapest, some would say - but for some reason MES was not amused. Also I was happier roughing it. My trips were cheap so we still had a budget for a 'proper' holiday.

I agree that places that serve food are preferable to restaurants that only serve food. Order a drink, do you want to eat, well, maybe later, you can take your time and not have the waiters wanting you out as quickly as possible. And no need to dress up.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No need to go to a restaurant, in Germany for example there are many food stores on the stations, bread cheese vegs yogurt, one can conjure up a meal easily and cheaply

what I have realised is that travel reveals and brings to the surface a lot of underlying emotions that were there before I travelled. I went out on that North America trip with a sense of adventure, but spent a lot of the in-between moments reflecting on my personal life, family, home, etc. Some of those were positive, but some were negative as well.

Like you, I often think about non travel issues when travelling, I find the oportunity to look at home life from a distance, without the day to day routine obscuring things, is quite helpful and refreshing.

I remember reading your travel reports on A.U. especially your trip to Churchill, which is still on my own bucket list.

(My user name there is caravanman)

Glad to know you are still enjoying being "on the road" :D

Established Member

Did Chicago-SF (Emeryville) about 5 years ago on the Zephyr.. but if travelling alone, would highly recommend paying a bit extra for a roomette, price includes a decent bed, all meals in the restaurant, unlimited access to the coffee machine and free ice, and the onboard shower room. Views in Colorado through the Rockies are spectacular with your own private room.

>>For the two nights, three days about 5 years ago, lowish season, I paid under £450, which included the bus from Emeryville into SF (which I didn't use, got a $4 Uber up to the Bart station).

The only downside (before Covid) was the restaurant, was hit and miss who they made you sit with, some great people, some terrible, some fleeing arrest! ...believe that's all changed now, and 'sit where you want, not where you're told' will be a permanent thing.

peteb

I'd had enough of totally solo travelling for work, so my ideal now is to have a few days where I do my own thing, perhaps taking all day on a long journey via branch lines whilst my relative would take a direct express or TGV later in the day and we'd rendezvous at our hotel for a meal early evening.

nanstallon

Often, when travelling with a friend, we have mutually agreed to split up for a day or two - maybe one of us is set on exploring a particular branch line and the other wants to do some birdwatching. It helps to ensure that we stay friends!

The only downside (before Covid) was the restaurant, was hit and miss who they made you sit with, some great people, some terrible, some fleeing arrest! ...believe that's all changed now, and 'sit where you want, not where you're told' will be a permanent thing.

I certainly agree that having your own room is the best option, although I have also done many thousands of Amtrak miles in coach seats. The Denver west portion of the Zephyr has amazing scenery!

I quite liked the organised seating in the diner car, yes, you sometimes got duff companions, but mostly met interesting folk. Part of my enjoyment of the coach seats also is meeting a wide cross section of other travellers.

Recently, so I am told, the dining car service is much deteriorated, with microwaved ready meals instead of the traditional dining. I think the seat allocations were mainly done so that the staff could serve 4 at a time at each table, rather than dealing with folk spread out among all the tables. Fingers crossed for a return to proper meals after covid, and a return to travel too!

Established Member
I certainly agree that having your own room is the best option, although I have also done many thousands of Amtrak miles in coach seats.

Recently, so I am told, the dining car service is much deteriorated, with microwaved ready meals instead of the traditional dining. I think the seat allocations were mainly done so that the staff could serve 4 at a time at each table, rather than dealing with folk spread out among all the tables. Fingers crossed for a return to proper meals after covid, and a return to travel too!

For the price, compared with the Canadians north of the border, it's a steal - a room for under 20% the price of Via Rail's cross-country offering - and I found far more down to earth folk on Amtrak, unlike the wine-swigging pfart-sniffing stuck-up folk on the Canadian run... ie same dull clientele as on the Australian one to Perth.

As for the food, I agree. The last time in their restaurant, the apologetic staff actually warned me after ordering that they 'ain't that good nowadays' - absolutely right. Never been served grits before that could cause a derailment o_O:'(

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I certainly agree that having your own room is the best option, although I have also done many thousands of Amtrak miles in coach seats. The Denver west portion of the Zephyr has amazing scenery!

I quite liked the organised seating in the diner car, yes, you sometimes got duff companions, but mostly met interesting folk. Part of my enjoyment of the coach seats also is meeting a wide cross section of other travellers.

Even in my halcyon younger days in the 1980's , Amtrak food was at best "ok" - breakfast on the California Zephyr being the best - but the incredible chance to talk to a wide range of people in the most iconic surroundings on a magnificent geographical terrain is unforgettable. I started in NYC , staying with some distant family relatives - and they just kept saying - "do you realise how far you are travelling on your own" - I flew back from San Francisco - a nightmare journey of the highest order and O/T - but the personal experiences (I hinted at meeting someone !) , will last me for a long time.

Travelling solo does open up a need to communicate - sometimes not easy - but so many valued conversations over the years - not just to train crews who can almost sniff out a fellow railwayman and keen to engage on where to travel in the UK on their one annual free pass (I always say if they have time - do Wales - if going to Scotland up the ECML and down the WCML !) , but very decent conversations with top end Professors on the way to give lectures to much less exalted folk who were equally interesting. This is not an experience common to the 0724 Thameslink from St Albans.

Who was it said "travel broadens the mind" ? - if you have no choice but to go it alone , still do it. More to gain than staying at home. You can always beat a retreat home.

peteb

My tip for travelling alone in France is to have a base somewhere usefully located eg Ibis Budget near a town centre station and do long day trips, perhaps with a night away in the middle. This allows you to travel light and have the confidence to travel late, knowing where your base is. Eating on the train then becomes possible in the evening with your own deli or supermarket bought buffet, no need to sit alone at a restaurant. I found popping into a bar near the station between connecting trains killed time, enabled some chat with locals and a chance to sample local beer. Even bar food in France is superb by uk standards! And bars are much more feasible on your own than a formal restaurant, and less intimidating, in fact the ones with tv are best!

Ian99

I've travelled a lot by rail and ferry in France, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal and because I like long holidays, I'm often there alone. Travelling on my own is more relaxing, not feeling the need to justify one's decision to someone else - like the time I decided it would be a fine short walk with a backpack from Lisbon Oriente to Santa Apolónia...

The only thing I would add to other's comments is that going off season is easier for solo travellers especially regards eating. The only time I've felt awkward asking for a table for one is when the restaurant is almost full. If it's quiet, restaurateurs are just keen to see someone.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
...The only thing I would add to other's comments is that going off season is easier for solo travellers especially regards eating. The only time I've felt awkward asking for a table for one is when the restaurant is almost full. If it's quiet, restaurateurs are just keen to see someone.
In Germany at least, if it's crowded they'll often ask you to share a table at more informal places.
Before the Brexit vote, I had an interesting conversation with two Japanese businessmen on the UK's position in Europe, and elsewhere I was sat at the same table as a couple of bikers who it turned out lived only 10 miles from me in S Yorks.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm a rather unsociable person: essentially, I go on holiday to see and enjoy stuff which interests me; meeting and interacting with new people, not a strongly-desired priority. (Will readily admit that this is not an admirable character trait in me; but in most places anyway, unsociableness is not a hanging offence.) When travelling in pursuit of some interest -- railway or other -- I can find it agreeable to have a like-minded companion, with whom impressions / thoughts about the objective of the travel, can be shared; but I unfortunately tend "not to play very well with others": the like-minded-companion thing balanced -- and, I think, exceeded -- by the advantage of avoiding, with one's being "solo", the wrangles / misunderstandings / faux pas which unavoidably happen even with the most congenial of companions.

Whilst I met a few great people travelling, I mostly enjoyed the peace and solitude of looking out of the window and watching the world go by, on my own. Now with the advent of better internet, things are even easier if you're travelling alone. Who says you have to sit in some organised tour - you see more on your own.

View attachment 95762

(My bolding) -- I'm greatly with you there: that -- and observing railway features of interest -- is what I want to do when travelling by train; for me particularly, that is greatly preferable to conversing -- often for me laboriously, even absent a language barrier -- with chance-met people who frankly, don't interest me. As above: not a characteristic of mine that I'm proud of; but generally -- one's having only a limited interest in others, is grudgingly accepted, so long as one doesn't attempt to do active harm to them <D.

Italy for example is generally a nation of extroverts and food is a very social thing for them, so they might be a little confused (although I ate solo perfectly fine in a touristy restaurant in Florence once) but they will still serve you! In somewhere more introverted like Sweden or Ukraine however, nobody would even question it.

Will admit to being glad that Italy has never in any aspect, held much attraction for me: never been there, have no plans to. The "nation of extroverts" matter -- a thing of which I have often heard / read: in Italy, everyone whom you encounter is eager immediately to tell you their life story; and requires you to reciprocate in kind -- and on and on thence. While "seeing with head", that this usually comes from a place of intended kindness and friendliness -- I feel that it would drive me mad in short order, even when it wasn't distracting me from something I wanted to focus on. (Should hard-to-imagine circumstances for some reason take me to Italy: I wouldn't rule out the possibility of unexpectedly and against the odds, falling in love with the place; but see very many likelier things.)

"More introverted" regions: Poland -- the country where I have done most of my solo rail-travelling "bashes" -- would seem to fall (happily for me) in that bracket. I found Poles generally pleasant when interaction occurred; but basically, in the "mind your own business and let others alone to mind theirs" camp.

The "dining alone" issue: @Bletchleyite and @jamesontheroad nail it, I feel: have with you, something to read; any potential problem re feeling awkward, etc. -- sorted. This has been a strategy of mine: have attention on book, not on the other people in the establishment; and if they think you're weird -- stuff 'em.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The "dining alone" issue: @Bletchleyite and @jamesontheroad nail it, I feel: have with you, something to read; any potential problem re feeling awkward, etc. -- sorted. This has been a strategy of mine: have attention on book, not on the other people in the establishment; and if they think you're weird -- stuff 'em.

They won't, they'll think you're a business traveller (if that's even vaguely plausible). It's very common indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.