• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canarytrains

Hi everyone

Before I get into the crux of the situation, I’d just like to state that I am completely embarrassed, disgraced and overwhelmingly remorseful as to be in the position, but I’m having sleepless nights and the unknown is really affecting me mentally, I’d really appreciate some advice on what to do/what options I have.

I embarked on a late night journey on the way back from a night out with friends.

I don’t recall getting on the train and I can’t recall the exact events but I know I fell asleep on the train, midway through the journey I woke up on the train feeling nauseous and so rushed to the nearest bathroom, upon leaving the bathroom I mistook the alarm button for the unlock button and was put through to the driver, I can recall being really apologetic to the driver on the intercom system and continued to profusely apologise.

This is where it’s all gone black for me, of course upon pressing the alarm button it alerted the attention of the train guard who would have had to manually reset the system to stop it ringing.

I would have had a conversation with the guard upon him arriving to sort the issue, but whether he attempted to fine me or take my details down I just don’t know. It’s not a valid excuse I know and I’m so embarrassed, I genuinely have no recollection. He could have been lenient or issued a fine, that I just don’t know.

I’m not a sassy or aggressive character and I would have liked to have thought I would have complied with any information gathering. But the harder I try and recall the more I struggle to remember the reality. I finished the journey at my designated station, I checked all my pockets/bank statements for any slips or transactions but nothing.

This is extremely out of character for me and I’m really fearing the worst in a criminal prosecution if I didn’t comply on the night. I’ve never been in trouble before, not so much as even a parking ticket.

I’d be grateful for some advice on the options I have:
  1. Do I contact the train company to come clean about the situation? I’m willing to comply with any fine and costs incurred
  2. Do I wait it out to find out if I did provide my details?
  3. Is there a way for me to find out what actually happened without incriminating myself?
  4. I’m a regular user of said train company, if I didn’t provide my information then they’d easily be able to trace me down, my biggest fear is being summoned magistrates. CCTV will be present and probably a body cam on the train guard, like I say I’d much rather settle any fines/penalties without going to court
  5. Any other advice welcomed?
I’m really not the sort to ever get blackout drunk and put myself in this situation but this is evidentially my own doing, I’m not proud, I feel physically sick thinking about it and I would really like to clear this horrible feeling looming over me.

I know it’s appalling, I’m so ashamed, but thank you in advance for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
What is the offence you think you may have committed?
Do you think there is a ticketing dispute?

If this is just relating to accidentally pressing the alarm whilst drunk then I think it’s very unlikely to result in anything at all.
I’m not aware of anyone ever receiving any form of penalty for this accidental thing.unless there is another offence you’ve not mentioned (likely as you don’t remember) I cannot see any reason to worry about anything here.
It won’t be the first time someone has accidentally pressed that button, drunken or not, it probably wasn’t even the first time that day.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Welcome to the forum.

If I have understood things correctly, your concern is about being pulled up for being drunk on a train. That's not an issue we see very much here, so please be aware that our responses may not be as informed as on other matters.

My expectation is that nothing will come of it at all. You will not have been the first person to have ended up rather drunk on a train. Neither will you have been the first person to have confused the alarm button with the unlock button. Whatever discussion you had with the guard, they probably saw you as a problem best dealt with by getting you safely off the railway where you would be the problem of the civil police rather than of railway staff and the British Transport Police.

For completeness, it's possible that while you were out of it you also said and did dreadful things to the train crew, but realistically if you were causing that much trouble I would have expected the train to have been met by the police, and for you to have woken up the following morning in a police cell. Since it doesn't appear that that is what happened, you can probably stop worrying about it.

If the railway do have an issue with what you did, then at the very least you will receive a letter summoning you to court. At that point, you will be able to get in touch with the railway and/or the prosecutor and see if there's a way to settle matters out of court - as is the way with many ticketing problems.

Overall, I expect that nothing will come of this. But keep an eye out for any letters - and if something does come, then don't ignore it.

Last edited:

Canarytrains

Thank you both for the welcome and your comments.

I suppose it’s the potential non-compliancy part I’m worried about, rather than a ticketing issue (I had a valid ticket for the journey), as touched on before it’s really not in my nature to be argumentative.

From reading into it elsewhere, if an authorised member of staff requests your information and you refuse, it then becomes a criminal offence which is where I think my worst fears were lying not knowing if I complied or not, after pressing the button mistakenly, or dreading the worst and vomiting on the train and incurring a soiling charge for that (apologies for the graphic)

Status
Not open for further replies.