• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Some Buses Are Driven By Volunteers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacw

Just flicking through the timetable to Southern Vectis (Isle Of Wight) and next to timetable 6. (Newport to Ventor via Blackgang Chine) It says 'some buses on route 6 are driven by volunteers'. This is under their 'Community Bus Partnership'. I can only presume this is down to low passenger numbers, and the cost of a driver wouldn't make it worthwhile.

Is this normal and does it happen anywhere else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I understand this is something inherited from the Wight Bus (council owned) operation that Southern Vectis acquired earlier in the year.

I believe it is done to reduce overheads on marginal services. This is certainly something used by community bus services elsewhere, but not something I've come across on normal bus services before.

A few weeks ago, I took the Southern Vectis bus 6 from Ventnor to Newport. The driver appeared to be in an SV uniform. And the service has at least been restored to an hourly frequency with some services running on the Undercliffe route via St Lawrence.

To allow buses to run this narrower Undercliffe route, double deckers have been replaced by shorter single deckers.

stut

Established Member
There's a similar venture in another part of Beds, the Ivel Sprinter. I keep meaning to take a trip up to Cambridge in one of these, but always forget...

Status
Not open for further replies.