• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some Interrail questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Another question - what is the situation regarding reservations on RailJet (OBB)? The Interrail journey planner implies reservations aren't needed (at least, not for the journey I'm looking at), and the OBB timetable site doesn't say anything about reservations being mandatory on the trains I'm looking at. However, the OBB ticket booking site won't let you proceed without selecting a reservation (when Interrail is selected as the discount pass).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Another question - what is the situation regarding reservations on RailJet (OBB)? The Interrail journey planner implies reservations aren't needed (at least, not for the journey I'm looking at), and the OBB timetable site doesn't say anything about reservations being mandatory on the trains I'm looking at. However, the OBB ticket booking site won't let you proceed without selecting a reservation (when Interrail is selected as the discount pass).
RallJet services do not require a reservation. However if you have an Interrail why are you using the OBB website?

ABB125

Established Member
But an Interrail is 100% discount on OBB - the only ticket you can (but don't have to) buy is a reservation......
You still need reservations for Nightjet, for example. And (as far as I'm aware; we haven't yet got as far as actually booking any reservations for anything yet) you avoid the booking fee that Interrail charge

Peterthegreat

Established Member
You still need reservations for Nightjet, for example. And (as far as I'm aware; we haven't yet got as far as actually booking any reservations for anything yet) you avoid the booking fee that Interrail charge
RailJet and NightJet are two separate products.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Because reservations from ÖBB are 3€ and from Interrail 8€?
Perhaps I have not explained this clearly. The original post said - However, the OBB ticket booking site won't let you proceed without selecting a reservation (when Interrail is selected as the discount pass)

But if you have an Interrail pass (which is 100% discount) then a reservation is the only "fare" available. I don't know what else is to be expected.

ABB125

Established Member
Perhaps I have not explained this clearly. The original post said - However, the OBB ticket booking site won't let you proceed without selecting a reservation (when Interrail is selected as the discount pass)

But if you have an Interrail pass (which is 100% discount) then a reservation is the only "fare" available. I don't know what else is to be expected.
Fair enough. Although OBB will come up with zero-fare "fares" if you put in an Interrail pass

Richard Scott

Established Member
Fair enough. Although OBB will come up with zero-fare "fares" if you put in an Interrail pass
Phone OEBB, they speak English. Only issue is cost as an international call. Phone after 19.00 UK time and usually get through quickly. Number is +43 51717.
Be careful doing overnight reservations on website as doesn't always give you what you want, even though you typed in correct info, especially if travelling between countries. Best to phone.

scarby

Scrapping the 7pm rule seems a particularly unnecessary piece of meanness by Interrail.

If I understand it correctly, this means that if one's travel 'day' begins at 23.00 with a departing sleeper train, you have to enter that date in your diary, no longer having the option to enter the following day. This means that 2 days instead of one then have to be used if you travel onwards the following day.

So now you use up just one day if you start out at 8am, travel extensively then take a sleeper at 23.00. This is the same as before.

But if you start at 23.00, then continue your journey the next day by day train, you have to use 2 days.

So this change in rule only brings negatives with it to the passenger.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Scrapping the 7pm rule seems a particularly unnecessary piece of meanness by Interrail.

If I understand it correctly, this means that if one's travel 'day' begins at 23.00 with a departing sleeper train, you have to enter that date in your diary, no longer having the option to enter the following day. This means that 2 days instead of one then have to be used if you travel onwards the following day.

So now you use up just one day if you start out at 8am, travel extensively then take a sleeper at 23.00. This is the same as before.

But if you start at 23.00, then continue your journey the next day by day train, you have to use 2 days.

So this change in rule only brings negatives with it to the passenger.
It's not really meanness at all. It simply benefits some people and disbenefits others, and creates a much simpler rule in the process.

Under the old rule, you had to use up 2 travel days if you wanted to use a sleeper that departed before 7pm or arrived before 4am. And similarly, if you wanted to take a late night service that terminated after midnight, you would have to use 2 days.

Since the rule change, it is quite simple - your pass must be dated for the day you board a train. The date/time of arrival doesn't matter.

So yes, anyone who previously took a sleeper that fell within the conditions, and who didn't travel on the day they boarded the sleeper but did travel on the day they got off the sleeper, they lose out as a result of this rule.

But anyone else - e.g. someone who previously travelled on the day they board the sleeper, but not on the day they got off, benefits as a result. As well as the 'edge cases' discussed above.

dutchflyer

Established Member
For how to book with a pass on NJ=NIghtJet-visit the community.eurail.com forum-where all tipical newbee questions are asked, posted and answered many times already. It also has a manual (by sebastian seewulf) on how to do that for 15€ for a seat (most often those partly reclining in a 6-seat compartment) or more for liege/schlafwagen. Note that the special sleepers are in very high demand and very low availability.
The trick is NOT to start with ´seat only´'but order a ticket´ and click on ´reductions/discounts/seasons held and then search for InterRail.
Note that it seems to me (but thats just from some random searches) that on days of very high demand (like the FRI eve before a long weekend=here on the continent these are often different from yours on that island) ÖBB will not do pass-seats or maybe just a very few (unconfirmed as of now by other sources, so it may be just bad luck)
To REServe a seat on day RJ-just indeed use seat only- cost IN AT most often just 3€. A very few very lucky souls have even managed to get it done for just 1€ at counters of ÖBB as this is indeed the price for their valued long-time season holders.
PASSes also require a 10€ SURcharge for all trips on the ÖBB/DE trains via AT IN/OUT of ITaly-payable advance or even still to conductor. But then these trains are EC and NOT RJ.

rvdborgt

Note that it seems to me (but thats just from some random searches) that on days of very high demand (like the FRI eve before a long weekend=here on the continent these are often different from yours on that island) ÖBB will not do pass-seats or maybe just a very few (unconfirmed as of now by other sources, so it may be just bad luck)
I have never seen any indications of that. I recently booked the very last 4-berth couchettes Utrecht - München on 25 May. There was also still one T3 bed available - with or without a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.