• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some questions on Virgins service from Birmingham [BHM] to London Euston [EUS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

11:30AM is the time I'll be getting on the train in the weekdays.

So, will it be busy, how likely will I able to get a vacant seat of 4 for us? What type of train will they use? Also, what's best place/coach to sit on? What platform they'll most likely to use? (Because I get confused in New Street too easily).

Finally, upon reaching the Euston, I need able to get on Victoria line quickly, so, any tips?

The reason why I'm asking because I have never used Virgins service despite to the fact that I travel from Birmingham to London and back frequently. I only have used LM and Chiltern service in past only.

Thanks very much and apologies if this was posted in wrong section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Usually quiet off-peak, especially if the train starts in Birmingham, if you're there soon enough you should be able to get a bay of 4 - Coach E (and F and U on 11-car sets) are unreserved so you could head for them. They tend to use eitgher p1 (ex-Wolves) or 3 (I think) at New St. Heading through to the front of Standard accommodation will allow you to alight quickly at Euston, and head for the LUL entrance in the centre of the concourse.

Edit - 390s (Pendolinos) are most common on the West Midlands-Euston trains, however I think there are a couple of 221 (Voyager services), I'm not sure when, sorry. In this case, head for the front of Standard Class again at Euston. Unreserved on them I think is Coach C.

Some trains also come from Scotland now too, these will be busy, but I would think would empty at New St.

According to the timetables, indeed, this train starts at BHM. I have unreserved megabus tickets.

So, I think I'll arriving at station as early as possible while train is sitting at platform. 15 minutes early should be good?

calc7

Established Member
Likely to be really quite quiet, especially with 5 or 7 Standard Class coaches. It will be booked for a Pendo as I know the Voyager's diagram has it doing the 1143 from Euston having travelled on it a few times.

dk1

Veteran Member
Middle of the day will be fine on this route with a 'fast' train every 20mins. It can be a very busy route at certain times of the day with a 2-way flow. Obviously evening peak (& off-peaks either side) trains will be extremelly full out of Euston but then so are up trains at the same time out of New St with approx 50% alighting by Coventry/Rugby. Even a recent 11-car i used on the 16.50 ex-New St was heaving.

Thanks very much for information.

But, can I reserve the seats?

calc7

Established Member
Thanks very much for information.

But, can I reserve the seats?

Yes, either online or at the booking office at point of purchase, or at a booking office upon presentation of your already-bought tickets.

But with Megatrain ticket? Still possible to book online or do I have to book it at office?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
But with Megatrain ticket? Still possible to book online or do I have to book it at office?

I doubt you can reserve seats with a Megatrain reservation. You get what you pay for :lol:(ie nearly nothing!)

All Line Rover

Established Member

No, you cannot reserve seats when you hold Megatrain tickets, for obvious reasons. The recently amended Megatrain Terms & Conditions make this exceedingly clear.

Okay, that's all I needed to know about, thanks very much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.