• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some Thank Yous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I thought I should point out some things that have happened to me over the past week or so that I thought had been handled very well by Train Companies.

First, I booked a ticket with Hull Trains for the wrong date, I had chosen the correct train but the day before the time I needed due to a midnight error. I immediately phoned the HT Web Support team, who agreed to refund the booking as it had not yet been collected, and thereby allow me to book again with all of the correct details. There was no admin fee as per the rules, which I thought was an excellent approach and was very grateful for.

The second issue was a little more sad. Many weeks ago I purchased a Virgin Trains East Coast Advance ticket. Sadly, since then someone I know has passed away, which meant I could not undertake that journey because I was attending a funeral at the time.
I posted the ticket back to VTEC, before the date of the journey and asked if they could consider a refund. I didn't expect to actually recieve one, but there was no way I'd be able to use the ticket, so I thought at least they could cancel the seat reservation. They responded with their condolences and refunded the ticket in full.

I thought both of these demonstrate goodwill from some train companies which in certain circumstances has been rather lacking of late, so I am very pleased to be able to praise them in this way for going outside the rules in special cases to assist the customer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's good to hear something positive for a change! In my view, it happens far more than TOC's are given credit for, but then, people are far more likely to complain about any company than to praise them.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day Starmill. That is indeed good news but I'm curious to know how Hull Trains didn't charge you an admin fee for changing the date of your ticket. I'm assuming that was because you contacted them straight away and that you wouldn't have had the same outcome if you had contacted them a couple of days before you traveled?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
That's certainly the impression I got. It seems they look favorably upon booking errors corrected at the time of booking and are using their discretion to rule on what is and isn't 'a change of travel plans'. The refund was by e-voucher too so I couldn't have switched to a different ticket retailer.

In that way the second offer of a refund was more of a surprise. Going to a funeral obviously is a 'change of travel plans'.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
In that way the second offer of a refund was more of a surprise. Going to a funeral obviously is a 'change of travel plans'.

I concur. Whilst I absolutely believe that you are telling the truth both you and I know that some people can be extremely dishonest at times and will stop at nothing in order to "try it on".

najaB

Veteran Member
...I'm curious to know how Hull Trains didn't charge you an admin fee for changing the date of your ticket. I'm assuming that was because you contacted them straight away and that you wouldn't have had the same outcome if you had contacted them a couple of days before you traveled?
Most TOCs will allow 'free' changes if you contact them straight away. Even airlines allow changes if you contact them within a short (e.g. 2 hour) period of making the booking.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Precisely. The lesson here is that it is worth checking your booking before and after making it - and not consigning any mistakes to without enquiring.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Being polite and not demanding something is also a helpful strategy. I've made mistakes with various bookings, and on contacting the company as soon as I could, I've found that being very apologetic and telling them I've been stupid seems to get a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.