• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Some TPE trains booked via Wigan North Western?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

I do not have photos yet, but on my way home from Euston yesterday I noticed that TPE were running a service from Wigan North Western to Barrow, presumably coming via Chat Moss.
Can somebody explain?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
Or it could have travelled via Bolton then Westhoughton. Many trains were booked to do this in the 1990s.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Unless it was at about 2250, in which case it could have been the 2251 off Wigan (2200 off MIA) http://traintimes.im/rail-service/G04209/2012/04/18/, it would have been on diversion.

Edit - runs via Bolton and Westhoughton. I suggest it may be to keep up route knowledge. IIRC there's an eastbound working about an hour earlier.

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
The 2129 from Preston to Manchester Airport calls at Wigan NW and runs via Atherton.

The 2200 (2216 from MAN) calls at Bolton and runs via Westhoughton, as has been mentioned.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can somebody explain?
Yes, TPE run loads of trains over unusual routes (either unusual to any passenger trains or merely unusual to TPE) in order to retain route knowledge over a wide variety of diversionary routes.

Taken to an extreme, a York-Liverpool train can be off the usual route for the entire journey with the exception of the York-Church Fenton, and the short section between the junctions either side of Mirfield (Thornhill Junction and Heaton Lodge East Junction), plus Edge Hill to Liverpool, so that's less than 15 miles that can't be diverted, all the rest can!

calc7

Established Member
Yes, TPE run loads of trains over unusual routes (either unusual to any passenger trains or merely unusual to TPE) in order to retain route knowledge over a wide variety of diversionary routes.

Taken to an extreme, a York-Liverpool train can be off the usual route for the entire journey with the exception of the York-Church Fenton, and the short section between the junctions either side of Mirfield (Thornhill Junction and Heaton Lodge East Junction), plus Edge Hill to Liverpool, so that's less than 15 miles that can't be diverted, all the rest can!

Hmm...but it wouldn't be calling at any of the usual stations then right? <D

I once got on the 2129 from Preston and was very confused as to why it took that route - now I finally have closure. :)

Lampshade

Established Member

Assuming it's running the way yorkie described, it'll run via Castleford, Wakefield Kirkgate, Mirfield, (possibly reverse at Huddersfield), Brighouse, Hebden Bridge, Manchester Victoria, Newton-le-Willows and Huyton.

So Huddersfield would be the only potential usual calling point, yes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It could call at Leeds and Huddersfield with a bit of doubling-back and being on a small part of the "usual" route. I got a train a couple of weeks ago that was non-stop Leeds to Manchester Victoria, bypassing Huddersfield. It took no longer than the usual journey time as it got a reasonable path through Calderdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.