• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Someone be attemptive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Ye-i-no. Just out of interest, If i miss (due to connections around London) my 16:46 ex Euston to Preston next Monday, on the way up north, on Virgin Value tickets, and jumped on the 17:15, what would the TM say to me about not being on the 16:46 (I would explain way i'm not on the 16:46 to him/her) ?

Is it two seperate Value singles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
Yes Value first to be precise
If you allowed enough time at BHM (12 minutes) then you're fine, as multiple tickets can cover you for a single journey (see NCoC).

If you allowed less than that, say 10 mins, then you could be asked to buy a new ticket.

NCoC said:

19. Using a combination of tickets

You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover
the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at the station where you change from one ticket to
another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season
Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or
local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.
You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the
trains of a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10).
If you do not comply with this Condition, you will be treated as having joined the
train without a ticket and the relevant parts of Condition 2 or 4 will apply, either
to the entire journey, or from the last station where the train stopped at which at
least one of the tickets was valid.
For the purposes of this Condition, a "leisure travel pass" means any multi-journey
ticket (excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and BritRail passes.

Obviously, your trains stop at Birmingham, so you are covered.​

Established Member
I'm no expert, but as I understand it,

Then if you miss the connection you are technically NOT valid on the second train and are liable to be chinged for a full open single. BUT this is very unlikely if you explained a missed connection, especially on Virgin who are generally a more casual TOC so i wouldn't worry. Generally your ticket should be honoured on the later service but this is not a technical requirement especially if another TOC is involved in the connection. Sometimes a message from either control or a TM will go out to accept tickets on other services.
Would certainly require a "desperate" gripper to ching you up!!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
87015 said:
I'm no expert, but as I understand it,

Then if you miss the connection you are technically NOT valid on the second train and are liable to be chinged for a full open single. BUT this is very unlikely if you explained a missed connection, especially on Virgin who are generally a more casual TOC so i wouldn't worry. Generally your ticket should be honoured on the later service but this is not a technical requirement especially if another TOC is involved in the connection. Sometimes a message from either control or a TM will go out to accept tickets on other services.
Would certainly require a "desperate" gripper to ching you up!!!

lol please don't start that again..

I've NEVER ever had trouble with ANY VXC/VWC TM tbh with missed connections on Virgin Value.

Once I was travelling Preston to Coventry, and the person who said they'd give me a lift to the station (to avoid the bloody rip-of charges) got stuck somewhere, meaning i went for the Voyager after, changing at New Street.

TM never questioned me when i showed him my ticket, and gave me connections to Coventry from New Street.

Now I've only once travelled on GNER before (Advance Purcahse FC on the Highland Chieftain) and I was on the correct train. From what I've heard, If i was travelling on GNER out of Kings Cross and got the next train, they'd charge me £££££s.

I fully agree that VT are very casual etc.

Edit: Yorkie- I was on about Euston not New Street- I arrive at xx06/xx11 , and depart xx00 .

metrocammel

voyagerdude220 said:
Now I've only once travelled on GNER before (Advance Purcahse FC on the Highland Chieftain) and I was on the correct train. From what I've heard, If i was travelling on GNER out of Kings Cross and got the next train, they'd charge me £££££s.

Well yes, and so they should if you missed the train without a valid reason, however depending on the guards leniency, if you had say, come from Penzance, and it could be proved that there were delays in Paddington that made you have a less than the minimum X-London connection time, he should allow you to use the ticket for the earlier train, however if he was extremely desparate, he would ching you £££ as you said, that really should be the same with Virgin, and at the end of the day there are some very keen VWC men, probably on the same level as GNER.

An example of missing a connection once occured at KX with myself and a friend, where we missed the last train out of KX, due to delays on "one" services (that were inflamed by an Ipswich signallers decision to put the class 87 hauled charter from the ACoRP event to London in front of our train which was a packed scheduled service).
When we arrived, we had just missed the last GNER north, so we spoke to a the manager, and eventually (after lots of negotiating with "one") she arranged a taxi to get us back up north, however we had separate tickets for the "one" bit of the journey, and for the GNER bit of the journey, but there was no problems whatsoever.

I find that sometimes I dont get my ticket checked on busy commuter tains as there are too many people on the train. The problem is not the lack of seats (there quite enough) its just that in the 80s BR inisted on getting 5 seats across each coach and on top of that on the 150s the gap between the seats isnt very big. Also if the guard didnt have to operate the doors then surely they could check more tickets

I was going to the SVR from Birmingham one Saturday the the ticket inspector said that my ticket wasnt valied as it was before 09:30. But when I pointed out it was a Saturday he still thought I should have paid full fare, but luckly I was able to demonstrate on my watch that it was after 09:30, which he accepted.:sad11:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Its Rood Ashton House ... said:
I was going to the SVR from Birmingham one Saturday the the ticket inspector said that my ticket wasnt valied as it was before 09:30. But when I pointed out it was a Saturday he still thought I should have paid full fare, but luckly I was able to demonstrate on my watch that it was after 09:30, which he accepted.:sad11:
That needs reporting, as it's not on. There are no restrictions at all on Saturdays. What ticket did you have?

If this happens again, inform the guard you believe you are valid, and can they check the fares manual. I've had to do this twice, with the same guard*, and the guard read it out and had to admit that he was wrong on both occasions.

* This guard is very much the exception to the rule. He's unlike any other guard I've met. He doesn't know much about conditions, and appears to invent them, and laughs at enthusiasts who take photos of trains. I've never met anyone else like him, and the vast majority of guards do an excellent job.

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:
That needs reporting, as it's not on. There are no restrictions at all on Saturdays. What ticket did you have?

If this happens again, inform the guard you believe you are valid, and can they check the fares manual. I've had to do this twice, with the same guard*, and the guard read it out and had to admit that he was wrong on both occasions.

* This guard is very much the exception to the rule. He's unlike any other guard I've met. He doesn't know much about conditions, and appears to invent them, and laughs at enthusiasts who take photos of trains. I've never met anyone else like him, and the vast majority of guards do an excellent job.

Sounds like a CDR

David

Established Member
Chaz said:
Thought Savers were vaild anytime during the Weekend.
Some Savers are restricted on certain weekends (like Bank Holidays for example), in which case you have to buy a super-saver (slightly more expensive).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
Some Savers are restricted on certain weekends (like Bank Holidays for example), in which case you have to buy a super-saver (slightly more expensive).

Are you sure you meant to say SuperSaver? ;)
These have been abolished on some routes, and the routes they are still avaliable on are cheaper, and more restricted than the normal Saver.

David

Established Member
Yes i meant to say SuperSaver, as in the past I've been caught out a couple of times like that....

Sprog

Established Member
tbh, who cares.

he didnt get hurt, he didnt get raped, he didnt get abducted and an RPI didnt maul him!! muwha

Dennis: thats quite a sad story that a mother would leave her frightened child to face the wrath of a Guard while she hid in the toilet....

if you cant afford the journey,dont get on the train surley....:confused:

cow :roll:

And Argument? why would this start an argument

Oh, cus yorkie the ticket expert :roll: *scared* will proably start some (un) educated rant about tickets, guards and theyre duty to do theyre job properly(!??) :roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
Yes i meant to say SuperSaver, as in the past I've been caught out a couple of times like that....
Yep, you just got the two mixed up. SSR not valid on some days on some TOCs, and SVRs can be used any time at weekends including bank holidays.

And yes SSRs are being phased out, not many routes have them any more.

Sprog said:
Oh, cus yorkie the ticket expert :roll: *scared* will proably start some (un) educated rant about tickets, guards and theyre duty to do theyre job properly(!??) :roll:
Huh?

yorkie said:

I mentioned it in passing to the ticket salesman at Small Heath station when I next went up the valley. Apart from that I took it as a one off. Shrugs shoulders.

Incidently is there a smilie for shrugging your shoulders?

Status
Not open for further replies.