• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

someone has used my sons id after being caught without a ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonewall77

whilst me and my son were on holiday in new Zealand someone used his id after being caught without a ticket. the address given was an address he lived in seven years ago. all the correspondence regarding this was sent to this address. he now has to appear in court for not paying the fine that he didn't know anything about. if we take to court all the documents from our holiday will that be enough. hope someone can help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BC

What do you have? Has the case been heard and settled in your and his absence? Or are you going to be attending court? What offence has been charged?

gray1404

Established Member
I know it is easy for me to say and difficult to do but DON'T WORRY. It is for the train company to prove that the person in court is the person they stopped on the day and not the other way round.

I would advise you at this point to contact the train company, or have your son do this if he is an adult, and inform them that he is not the person they stopped so would they kindly put a halt to the pending court case they have scheduled. You are not obliged to do this but it would indeed back up your son's story if you are willing to provide evidence that he was not even in the UK on the day in question so could not have been the person they stopped.

If they train company proceed with the court case then your son should plea not guilty on the basis in is not the person who travelled and was stopped on the day in question. But step one now is to contact the train company concerned.

Which train company is it? What is the court date and how near to the court to where you live? You say someone used your son's ID, do you mean an actual document or rather someone simply gave his details for a former address? If he has lost any ID document, was this reported as lost/stolen to the police or the authority who issued it at the time?

This goes to show that when taking information perhaps the TOCs should instruct their staff to check the photo against the ID presented and the person in front of them or ask them to confirm their address and DOB rather then just copying it down. I have had such checks performed against myself when using my passport to travel to certain places. The immigration officer has asked my name and my DOB once they had held of my passport. Perhaps another way to check it is actually my on passport I am using and not someone elses.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
If the court appearance is soon, Google "statutory declaration."
Making this on the ground that your son had no knowledge of the original court case will restart the whole process, and you can then contact the train company's prosecutions team as you (and gray1404) have suggested.

BC

Indeed. Echoing the comments above there is little to worry about it's "just" paperwork to sort this. You will have provable tickets showing you were travelling, NZ will give stamps in passports as I recall - proving you were literally on the other side of the globe will not be difficult and the proescution on seeing this will drop it without any issues I suspect. Whilst it is not up to you to prove you are innocent demonstrating to the prosecution that you can and it'll be expensive for them before court will get them to drop it quickly.

stonewall77

What do you have? Has the case been heard and settled in your and his absence? Or are you going to be attending court? What offence has been charged?
my son received a letter from CDN enforcement further steps notice stating he has failed to make a payment as directed of 719 pounds. he rang them explained he wasn't in the country. the next day he received a letter from northumbria magistrates proved in absence and he now has to attend court for failure to pay the fine.

If the court appearance is soon, Google "statutory declaration."
Making this on the ground that your son had no knowledge of the original court case will restart the whole process, and you can then contact the train company's prosecutions team as you (and gray1404) have suggested.
the court case is next week it is for not paying the fine that he didn't know anything about. all correspondence went to his previous address

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think the suggestion that the burden of proof lies with the train company is slightly misleading. The train company have evidence to present to the court and this needs to be challenged to show that it is wrong. Writing to the train company to explain why their evidence is wrong or, if time is short (it is), submitting a not guilty plea to the court is essential. The latter will buy time to communicate with the train company.and resolve the issue.

6Gman

Established Member
the court case is next week it is for not paying the fine that he didn't know anything about. all correspondence went to his previous address

I think you need to do two things.

1. Use the statutory declaration to stop proceedings.
2. Contact the TOC to explain that your son could not have been involved.

stonewall77

I know it is easy for me to say and difficult to do but DON'T WORRY. It is for the train company to prove that the person in court is the person they stopped on the day and not the other way round.

I would advise you at this point to contact the train company, or have your son do this if he is an adult, and inform them that he is not the person they stopped so would they kindly put a halt to the pending court case they have scheduled. You are not obliged to do this but it would indeed back up your son's story if you are willing to provide evidence that he was not even in the UK on the day in question so could not have been the person they stopped.

If they train company proceed with the court case then your son should plea not guilty on the basis in is not the person who travelled and was stopped on the day in question. But step one now is to contact the train company concerned.

Which train company is it? What is the court date and how near to the court to where you live? You say someone used your son's ID, do you mean an actual document or rather someone simply gave his details for a former address? If he has lost any ID document, was this reported as lost/stolen to the police or the authority who issued it at the time?

This goes to show that when taking information perhaps the TOCs should instruct their staff to check the photo against the ID presented and the person in front of them or ask them to confirm their address and DOB rather then just copying it down. I have had such checks performed against myself when using my passport to travel to certain places. The immigration officer has asked my name and my DOB once they had held of my passport. Perhaps another way to check it is actually my on passport I am using and not someone elses.

Indeed. Echoing the comments above there is little to worry about it's "just" paperwork to sort this. You will have provable tickets showing you were travelling, NZ will give stamps in passports as I recall - proving you were literally on the other side of the globe will not be difficult and the proescution on seeing this will drop it without any issues I suspect. Whilst it is not up to you to prove you are innocent demonstrating to the prosecution that you can and it'll be expensive for them before court will get them to drop it quickly.
not sure of the train company the journey was from Newcastle to Glasgow the court case is next week on the 6th. I am travelling up from hull . I not sure how the person got my sons details or what he showed the inspector

Haywain

Veteran Member
not sure of the train company the journey was from Newcastle to Glasgow the court case is next week on the 6th. I am travelling up from hull . I not sure how the person got my sons details or what he showed the inspector
Entering a not guilty plea can be done in writing* and will result in a new date being set for a hearing (to allow witnesses to be called) so there is little point in you travelling, especially as it isn't you that's being prosecuted. The court will also be able to tell you which train company is prosecuting (this should be on the summons) and may be able to advise how to contact them. For a journey from Newcastle to Glasgow there are a number of train companies who could be involved, so there would be little point in speculating here.

*Use special delivery or whatever signed for next day delivery is called these days.

Puffing Devil

Established Member

This exactly. The hearing you have is in respect of unpaid fines - these will go away when the Statutory Declaration is made. You only have 21 days since you became aware of the matter to make the declaration.

Go to a local solicitor and pay the small fee to make the declaration. Send it recorded delivery to the court concerned and phone them to make sure that they have it and will be actioning it. Also check that the appearance for the unpaid fines has been dropped.

You can then get to work on the Train Company. Meanwhile, you will be sent a new summons for the offence, submit a not guilty plea while you work with the train company. Hopefully, the matter will be dropped before the trial

furlong

Established Member
Yes - what Puffing Devil wrote while I was typing something along the same lines. You should disregard some of the suggestions made by other posters here.

BC

Puffing Devil is perfectly correct and I can only ask you to heed the warning that furlong gives.

You need to make a statutory declaration at court or at a solictior. If you choose not to use a solicitor then ring the court office and ask them to make a Section 14 declaration and how do you go about it. They will tell you how to go about it.

You will have to attend court for this and they will ask you for a plea most likley at the same time. You obviously plead not guilty. They will then set another court hearing date. This gives you time to talk to the prosecution at get it sorted. The court will NOT care that you are out of the country etc - just that you have a feasible defence. However take along proof of address proof you moved, tickets and passport with stamps, just in case...

You have 21 days from the time you know about the case to apply for it (the hearing date can be later) so please dont delay - and dont worry

wildcard

When the forum uses "you" ( referring to the OP ) - do they mean the Op's son . Does the statutory declaration and not guilty plead need to be done by the son personally - unless they are under 18 or a vulnerable adult / power of attorney already given ?

Veteran Member
When the forum uses "you" ( referring to the OP ) - do they mean the Op's son . Does the statutory declaration and not guilty plead need to be done by the son personally - unless they are under 18 or a vulnerable adult / power of attorney already given ?
Fair point. I think I was using "you" in the plural.

stonewall77

Puffing Devil is perfectly correct and I can only ask you to heed the warning that furlong gives.

You need to make a statutory declaration at court or at a solictior. If you choose not to use a solicitor then ring the court office and ask them to make a Section 14 declaration and how do you go about it. They will tell you how to go about it.

You will have to attend court for this and they will ask you for a plea most likley at the same time. You obviously plead not guilty. They will then set another court hearing date. This gives you time to talk to the prosecution at get it sorted. The court will NOT care that you are out of the country etc - just that you have a feasible defence. However take along proof of address proof you moved, tickets and passport with stamps, just in case...

You have 21 days from the time you know about the case to apply for it (the hearing date can be later) so please dont delay - and dont worry
thanks for the help. what is confusing me though you say the court will not care if he was out of the country just that we have a feasible defence. I would have thought that boarding passes and other documentation from the trip would prove this.

stonewall77

This exactly. The hearing you have is in respect of unpaid fines - these will go away when the Statutory Declaration is made. You only have 21 days since you became aware of the matter to make the declaration.

Go to a local solicitor and pay the small fee to make the declaration. Send it recorded delivery to the court concerned and phone them to make sure that they have it and will be actioning it. Also check that the appearance for the unpaid fines has been dropped.

You can then get to work on the Train Company. Meanwhile, you will be sent a new summons for the offence, submit a not guilty plea while you work with the train company. Hopefully, the matter will be dropped before the trial

the problem we have is the court heari

thanks for your help. the court hearing is next week my son wants this sorting out as soon as possible as he starts a new job the week after and the last thing he needs is a criminal record. what is likely to happen next week if he turns up at court with all the relevant documentation confirming his innocence.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
what is likely to happen next week if he turns up at court with all the relevant documentation confirming his innocence.

The hearing next week is for the non-payment of the court fine he has been issued with. That hearing cannot deal with the original issue which is that he is not guilty because that matter has already been determined in his absence. The matter is settled. Currently, as far the courts are concerned, he is guilty of fare evasion and the hearing next week can't do anything about that.

Your son needs to follow the advice as given by @Puffing Devil and immediately go to a local firm of solicitors and make a statutory declaration in order to reset the entire matter back to the beginning of the process. He can then plead not guilty to the original offence and engage with the train company in question to have the matter disposed off successfully.

Just going to the hearing next week with proof he wasn't in the country won't fix the issue.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
the court hearing is next week my son wants this sorting out as soon as possible as he starts a new job the week after and the last thing he needs is a criminal record.

He may very well already have a criminal record! He has already been found guilty in his absence so depending on the exact offence that was alleged by the train company at the original hearing he may have a criminal record now. This can be resolved however if he follows the advice of @Puffing Devil .

stonewall77

He may very well already have a criminal record! He has already been found guilty in his absence so depending on the exact offence that was alleged by the train company at the original hearing he may have a criminal record now. This can be resolved however if he follows the advice of @Puffing Devil .
The hearing next week is for the non-payment of the court fine he has been issued with. That hearing cannot deal with the original issue which is that he is not guilty because that matter has already been determined in his absence. The matter is settled. Currently, as far the courts are concerned, he is guilty of fare evasion and the hearing next week can't do anything about that.

Your son needs to follow the advice as given by @Puffing Devil and immediately go to a local firm of solicitors and make a statutory declaration in order to reset the entire matter back to the beginning of the process. He can then plead not guilty to the original offence and engage with the train company in question to have the matter disposed off successfully.

Just going to the hearing next week with proof he wasn't in the country won't fix the issue.
thanks very much for your help

Puffing Devil

Established Member
ainsworth74 has this exactly right.

The legal system is an unknown thing for many people and it can be very hard to navigate or even understand on your first encounter. It's sometimes no clearer when you've been involved for a long time. I'll explain below the sequence of events that caused the matter to come to a head and maybe help some people in the future.

What has happened in this case is that the TOC has requested a summons to be issued in the Magistrates Court for the fare evasion. That has been sent to the address given at the time the offence was committed. The TOC no doubt tried to engage before the summons but got no reply as it all went to an old address. The date of the hearing came around and as there was no defendant* the case was proved in the absence of the defendant. A fine based on assumed income and costs would have been imposed. The notice would have been sent, again, to the incorrect address.

Unsurprisingly, the fine was not paid and the enforcement process kicks in. By now people begin to get interested in the defendant and try to track them down. With a name and a date of birth, it becomes possible. You may ask why no attempt was made to ensure that the right address was in the system and it's a good question to which I do not have an answer. Armed with this information, the "defendant" is summoned back to court to explain why the fine has not been paid. The court is not interested in the original offence at this stage, as far as it is concerned it is dealing with a convicted person who has defaulted on the financial penalty. They will be rolling up their sleeves to start threatening prison if the cash is not forthcoming.

It's around now that the defendant becomes aware that they have been convicted in their absence when the summons whacks on the doormat or a court bailiff comes calling. Here we have the remedy for the situation - that is to make a formal statement under oath that they were not aware of the original trial. This can be done at court, though it is easier and less risky to complete at a solicitors. This is the Statutory Declaration or SD and the fees are limited - I think £5 + a little more if you want a copy.

Here's the important piece which many people have repeated: You normally only have 21 days to make the declaration from the time you found out about the court case. Unless you have special, extenuating circumstances, and "I didn't think it was important" is not good enough, you must make that declaration. No declaration and the conviction stands!

Why less risky? An SD forces the whole process back to the very beginning, as if the summons has just been requested, with no court date yet set for an appearance. Courts are under pressure to close cases quickly, so if you appear in court and make the declaration they may well attempt to reopen the matter there and then and ask for a plea. You want to be prepared before you go to court and may want additional time to speak to the TOC. Going down the solicitor route gives you this time. Also, courts are becoming rarer than hen's teeth, so travelling to one is an issue for many people. When you have your SD, and a copy for yourself, send it to the court Signed For and hang onto the receipt. Call the court to make sure that have it and will be actioning it.

When a court receives your SD, they will inform the TOC and set a date for a new first hearing. They should also cancel the fines hearing. It's a good idea to make sure this has been done - the court service has been slashed to the bone and things can, and do, get missed. You don't want a bench warrant without bail to be issued.

A quick word about courts: If you are unlucky enough not to reach a sensible agreement with the TOC before the new court date, you will have to appear to plead not guilty. The court will not be ready to hold a trial on the day. First appearances deal with guilty pleas there and then if they can, trials are put off to many weeks later when they have more time set aside, so you will need to come back at a later date if the TOC will not accept your case that you were out of the country. Dealing with cases on the day is cheap - which is why courts give a discount for early guilty pleas on the day and a reduction in costs.

If it does go to trial, you may want to get some legal help - the way that evidence is gathered, presented and accepted can be technical and you would not want to fall foul of process and the law. What seems common sense to many people does not always apply in a court, though the rules will be there for a good reason.

*Of course, there was no defendant as they didn't know about the case. However, many people do choose to bury their heads in the sand and not show up. Some willfully refuse to attend and eventually, warrants will be issued for their arrest. The courts are not surprised that people don't show. Even more so for rail matters as they might have been caught in Manchester off a Virgin train, but live in London. The case would be listed in Manchester.

Last edited:

stonewall77

thanks very much for your help

ainsworth74 has this exactly right.

The legal system is an unknown thing for many people and it can be very hard to navigate or even understand on your first encounter. It's sometimes no clearer when you've been involved for a long time. I'll explain below the sequence of events that caused the matter to come to a head and maybe help some people in the future.

What has happened in this case is that the TOC has requested a summons to be issued in the Magistrates Court for the fare evasion. That has been sent to the address given at the time the offence was committed. The TOC no doubt tried to engage before the summons but got no reply as it all went to an old address. The date of the hearing came around and as there was no defendant* the case was proved in the absence of the defendant. A fine based on assumed income and costs would have been imposed. The notice would have been sent, again, to the incorrect address.

Unsurprisingly, the fine was not paid and the enforcement process kicks in. By now people begin to get interested in the defendant and try to track them down. With a name and a date of birth, it becomes possible. You may ask why no attempt was made to ensure that the right address was in the system and it's a good question to which I do not have an answer. Armed with this information, the "defendant" is summoned back to court to explain why the fine has not been paid. The court is not interested in the original offence at this stage, as far as it is concerned it is dealing with a convicted person who has defaulted on the financial penalty. They will be rolling up their sleeves to start threatening prison if the cash is not forthcoming.

It's around now that the defendant becomes aware that they have been convicted in their absence when the summons whacks on the doormat or a court bailiff comes calling. Here we have the remedy for the situation - that is to make a formal statement under oath that they were not aware of the original trial. This can be done at court, though it is easier and less risky to complete at a solicitors. This is the Statutory Declaration or SD and the fees are limited - I think £5 + a little more if you want a copy.

Here's the important piece which many people have repeated: You normally only have 21 days to make the declaration from the time you found out about the court case. Unless you have special, extenuating circumstances, and "I didn't think it was important" is not good enough, you must make that declaration. No declaration and the conviction stands!

Why less risky? An SD forces the whole process back to the very beginning, as if the summons has just been requested, with no court date yet set for an appearance. Courts are under pressure to close cases quickly, so if you appear in court and make the declaration they may well attempt to reopen the matter there and then and ask for a plea. You want to be prepared before you go to court and may want additional time to speak to the TOC. Going down the solicitor route gives you this time. Also, courts are becoming rarer than hen's teeth, so travelling to one is an issue for many people. When you have your SD, and a copy for yourself, send it to the court Signed For and hang onto the receipt. Call the court to make sure that have it and will be actioning it.

When a court receives your SD, they will inform the TOC and set a date for a new first hearing. They should also cancel the fines hearing. It's a good idea to make sure this has been done - the court service has been slashed to the bone and things can, and do, get missed. You don't want a bench warrant without bail to be issued.

A quick word about courts: If you are unlucky enough not to reach a sensible agreement with the TOC before the new court date, you will have to appear to plead not guilty. The court will not be ready to hold a trial on the day. First appearances deal with guilty pleas there and then if they can, trials are put off to many weeks later when they have more time set aside, so you will need to come back at a later date if the TOC will not accept your case that you were out of the country. Dealing with cases on the day is cheap - which is why courts give a discount for early guilty pleas on the day and a reduction in costs.

If it does go to trial, you may want to get some legal help - the way that evidence is gathered, presented and accepted can be technical and you would not want to fall foul of process and the law. What seems common sense to many people does not always apply in a court, though the rules will be there for a good reason.

*Of course, there was no defendant as they didn't know about the case. However, many people do choose to bury their heads in the sand and not show up. Some willfully refuse to attend and eventually, warrants will be issued for their arrest. The courts are not surprised that people don't show. Even more so for rail matters as they might have been caught in Manchester off a Virgin train, but live in London. The case would be listed in Manchester.
thank you for your help

gray1404

Established Member
I cannot add anything to the above excellent advice. I totally agree you need to complete the SD as a matter of urgency! Then you need to engage with the train company (with the proof it wasn't him) so they can drop the matter.

shopbford

One thing of note is that if the Mag Court hearing the case is some distance away you can arrange to have the Stat Dec done at a Court local to you and they will forward everything on. If doing this it is still your responsibility to ensure the "hearing" Court has received it. You may not have to attend in these circumstances.

As you are now aware the original Court Hearing has been & gone and your son was found Guilty & fined. This Further Steps Notice has been correctly issued and the Court requires to know why it has gone unpaid. The CDN Enforcement is part of the Cleveland, Durham, Northumbria & North Yorks Enforcement Unit based at North Shields Court. The next step will be for case to be given to Bailiffs to enforce - ususually one of Marstons companies. You must bear in mind if it gets to this stage then the Warrant issued to the Bailiff does contain the power to make a forced entry to premises if he believes the defendant is avoiding him.

Time for you is now short and anything you need to do should be done on Monday without fail.

stonewall77

One thing of note is that if the Mag Court hearing the case is some distance away you can arrange to have the Stat Dec done at a Court local to you and they will forward everything on. If doing this it is still your responsibility to ensure the "hearing" Court has received it. You may not have to attend in these circumstances.

As you are now aware the original Court Hearing has been & gone and your son was found Guilty & fined. This Further Steps Notice has been correctly issued and the Court requires to know why it has gone unpaid. The CDN Enforcement is part of the Cleveland, Durham, Northumbria & North Yorks Enforcement Unit based at North Shields Court. The next step will be for case to be given to Bailiffs to enforce - ususually one of Marstons companies. You must bear in mind if it gets to this stage then the Warrant issued to the Bailiff does contain the power to make a forced entry to premises if he believes the defendant is avoiding him.

Time for you is now short and anything you need to do should be done on Monday without fail.
thanks for your advice . my son has spoken to the court and is appearing at court on wed 6th to make a statutory declaration.

BC

thanks for your advice . my son has spoken to the court and is appearing at court on wed 6th to make a statutory declaration.

You have a court case tomorrow yes?

Do not miss this one - if the bailiffs are given a warrant then they can act immediatly and that is something you want to avoid - because it's just more paperwork to go wrong getting them off your back.
Your son NEEDS to get this sorted today. Find a solicitor, get an SD made and then take it DON'T post, take it to your local court and get it filed. Tell the front line staff it's an SD made under Section 14 in respect of a live case at a remote court and it needs to be done today.

If you cannot do it today, then I would attend tomorrows hearing, find the prosecution team before the hearing (ask a court usher for them they will point them out) and tell them you have no knowledge of the case, wish to make a section 14 SD and will plead not guilty. They will sort matters with the court and you will possible make the SD then.

cuccir

Established Member
You have a court case tomorrow yes?

Do not miss this one - if the bailiffs are given a warrant then they can act immediatly and that is something you want to avoid - because it's just more paperwork to go wrong getting them off your back.

the court case is next week on the 6th.

The court case is also on the 6th. So it is possible to do the SD on the 6th in court, but the key point is to do this before the court hearing for non-payment of fines.

gray1404

Established Member
So it sounds like both the hearing at the Court and the Son is appearing also on the 6th at Court to make a SD.

Is the Son making the SD at at the same Court as the hearing or a different one?

The time of day that the SD is being done, is this some time (a couple of hours at least) before the court hearing on the same day?

If the Son will be at the same Court as the hearing then I would suggest, even if he's already made his SD, he approaches the person acting for the Prosecution anyway to advise them of what he has done/or will be doing later that day (if the appointment he's been given to make the SD is later on).

packermac

whilst me and my son were on holiday in new Zealand someone used his id after being caught without a ticket. the address given was an address he lived in seven years ago. all the correspondence regarding this was sent to this address. he now has to appear in court for not paying the fine that he didn't know anything about. if we take to court all the documents from our holiday will that be enough. hope someone can help
It would appear you have a good case. But in addition have you contacted the police to lodge possible identity theft, they will probably not be interested in doing anything but best to have these things recorded against future issues. The individual may be using your son's name for other things and that could in the end impact on his credit score amongst other things.
Also the above point about the bailiffs is very valid. Our neighbours when we lived in West London legitimately purchased their bungalow but had over 4 years of bailiffs turning up, demanding entry even when they were not who the documents were issued for. Sometimes these guys were very aggressive and seemed not too concerned someone else was living there or in upsetting the neighbours either.
Also assuming it is all sorted well in the end, and I am unsure of the legal process (may need a solicitor), but you must ensure the record is totally removed, not just that in this case the case is not proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.