• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Someones in trouble :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

Was at Hilsea yesterday when a SWT service failed to stop in time and missed the station then what looked like 2 trains in one section just a few hundred yards apart.
Makes you wonder what happened to both.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
150265 said:
Was at Hilsea yesterday when a SWT service failed to stop in time and missed the station then what looked like 2 trains in one section just a few hundred yards apart.
Makes you wonder what happened to both.
Was this on the up or down road as the signals in the area can be quite close together, especially on the up road.
The Hilsea upside starting signal is at the end of the platform and the next signal, protecting Port Creek junction, is less than 1/4 mile away. The next signals are on the triangle {towards Cosham or Farlington junctions} and protect the next junctions
Anymore info on the over run, like unit type / number, time and destination?

ChrisM

The SWT service had just passed through the signal at the Fratton end of Hilsea and i turned back and saw a Southern electrostar approaching from Portcreek junction slowly.

The overrun was the 15:32 from Hilsea(if it had stopped) formed of 2 desiro 444 heading for i think waterloo via havant.
At least one person was waiting for it at Hilsea.

TheSlash

Established Member
Na don't worry about the two trains in section, they clear sections pretty quickly through Hilsea, theres one either side of the station on the down road
The 10 car wouldn't of been stopping at Hilsea as that service starts from the low level and that can only take 8.

ChrisM

It came up on the board and was anounced and was booked to stop at Hilsea and the guy waiting uses that everyday to get to work.
Also it was braking and stopped just pass the station and then continued.

TheSlash

Established Member
Not sure then. It used to be that that the stopper left the low level about 3 minutes after the fast.

Met Driver

Established Member
What is the correct procedure to be carried out by a driver after an overrun? Unlike on London Underground, are they allowed to reverse back?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Signal overun or station overun?
I was on a Chiltern Train once that whizzed through Saunderton at the linespeed (75mph IIRC). The driver must have known that she was due to stop there, she even set the PIS for a station stop at Saunderton. Normally, I'd expect an announcement, but this woman didn't even bother to do that.
I think what they normally do is expect you to get off and go back the other way, I dont think Ive ever heard of a train reverse.

jd

You'd think they might go back on NR though. They don't go back on LU generally because of the big disruption to the high-frequency service, and the fact that the next station is only a few minutes away, and trains back are frequent. I don't know what services in that area are like, but the next station is probably a fair way away, and trains not all that frequent. Could be major inconvenience to passengers.

Dave A

Got on a 12 car cl377 to Brighton last summer. It was arriving at Clapham Junction due to stop, and it did. I was in the tenth carriage. It must of pulled into a short platform as all I could see was gravel :shock: But I wasn't getting off. We were there for about 5 mins and these people, obviously going to work, just realised. It never occured to them to move down and because of that, they ended up at the next station, Gatwick :lol: :lol: <D

Status
Not open for further replies.