• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Something for your CV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

These days, as grades are getting 'easier', and student's results are looking very similar, making your CV and UCAS forms look as interesting as possible is very important!

If you fancy doing something fun, and also having something credible to add to your UCAS form, why don't you try volunteering with the scouts?

(They are even doing the Nightrider at the ELR next month, so you may find it's your cup of tea too ;))

Go to www.jointheadventure.com for more info!

It's worth signing up, and getting some information, as I once did it, and it was pretty good :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
My advice:
Do Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

If you like the outdoors (and, honestly, who doesn't) then it's for you.

metrocammel

My advice:
Do Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

If you like the outdoors (and, honestly, who doesn't) then it's for you.

Yes, DoE is good, however, you have to do it over a specified period of time, whereas with this volunteering, you basically put in as many hours as you want; the more, obviously the better your reference will be, but still, even if you can only spare a few hours per month, you can 'volunteer', whereas afaik, DoE is more 'rigid'.

I was about to start DoE when I was in 6th form, but just as I was looking forward to starting, the teacher who organised it within our college suddenly left, as her husband tragically died - so that wasn't to be :(

Bayum

Established Member
Many people though, need to know about and start off doing things like this well before they start at 6th Form

For instance, I would have gladly done something like this, if only I had known about it. Sadly, all my offers are in now, and I can't redo a UCAS form without dropping the offers I already have =/

D306

Established Member
UCAS. Don't you just love them?

DofE/Scouts/Voluntary stuff is good for UCAS points. More stuff that you do voluntary, more UCAS points you gain (for the benefit of the younger members of the forum).

simples

mbonwick

Established Member
I'm doing alright then;
CCF, D of E (Bronze achieved so far, currently on silver, am going to do Gold), FSMQ Maths course.

Yep, I think I could be in a worse position for starting 6th Form in September.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
UCAS. Don't you just love them?

DofE/Scouts/Voluntary stuff is good for UCAS points. More stuff that you do voluntary, more UCAS points you gain (for the benefit of the younger members of the forum).
Very little extra curricular activities (I know one notable exception is musical instruments grades) actually give you UCAS points - they are mostly given for your grades.

However they are important for your Personal Statement and your reference and can give you loads to write about, which is really important. Your Personal Statement is really the only part of your application that you can control and often can make the difference between getting an offer or not.

me123

Established Member
I remember there's other things like Equestrian qualifications as well that hardly anyone does.

Extra-curricular stuff's very important if you need an interview as well. (That said, not many courses do this any more). Mine wanted me to show communication skills, that I've had experience working with people, and that I've had some insight into what my career involves. For the first two, you pretty much need some form of extra curricular activity.

Another thing is that any extra curricular activity can be twisted to show a characteristic that you want to show off. Harder thing to do with an interview, but pretty simple with a personal statement and CV.

Phoenix

Established Member
Mine (Derby Geology) didn't interview me let alone ask me about what I did in my spare time they just ask you to submit it when you write to them.
anywho there are not many EC activities that give UCAS points but doing industry related work or even volunteering work whilst on your course is pretty vital if youy want a decent job ask my lecturer says.

A-levels get you into uni a degree let's you get a masters a masters gives you a job but a little extra gives you a lot more extra money.

AlexS

Established Member
I was told by the admissions tutor at Loughborough Uni that the decision to admit me was mainly based upon on the fact I did volunteering at the GCR and showed a strong interest and aptitude for railways and management in general.

It grabbed his attention from the batch essentially.

I didn't finish the course (I didn't get on with the way you work at Uni essentially) despite passing my exams but it got me in.

And as for later in life, apparently it impressed the interviewer for my current position because I talked about it a lot and it's relevence to the position and I got the job out of 50 applicants for my position.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I was told by the admissions tutor at Loughborough Uni that the decision to admit me was mainly based upon on the fact I did volunteering at the GCR and showed a strong interest and aptitude for railways and management in general.

It grabbed his attention from the batch essentially.

I didn't finish the course (I didn't get on with the way you work at Uni essentially) despite passing my exams but it got me in.

And as for later in life, apparently it impressed the interviewer for my current position because I talked about it a lot and it's relevence to the position and I got the job out of 50 applicants for my position.

On a similar point my boss also took my 5 years worth of volunteering for the GCR as showing strong motivation, loyalty and hard work.

Phoenix

Established Member
My uni took me cause I got the grades and was polite yeah okay I volunteer at the MRC but I barely count that these days but defiantly 5 years volunteering in anything will get you somewhere.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Volunteering will also come as a major plus when you go for your first job. When I was looking for a full-time job in 2007 for my gap year everyone (even employment agencies) wanted past experience.

whoshotjimmi

It is important to remember everyone that volunteering for the sake of garnering more UCAS points or better job prospects will be noticed. The people who employ you and/or accept your application to university are not stupid. They will be swamped with people who have volunteered here and done charitable work there and will easily be able to tell apart those who do it for the correct reasons and those who do it for their own gain. (I can't help thinking of Madonna when I say that.) No one is going to be impressed with your charitable work if it was purely to make you look good.

Duke of Edinburgh is a very mentally stimulating award that CAN be looked at favourably, however, during my time at school (seems a long time ago now) it was only those who were trying to improve their credentials who did it.

If I have any advice whatsoever it would be to concentrate on things you already enjoy doing and motivate yourself to spend more time within that field. For example, I have noticed many people on this forum like trains (duh). There are loads of heritage lines up and down the country where one can indulge one's interest whilst enticing tourists into sharing said interest. This is all considered volunteer work. Personally, my passion is motor racing and as such my volunteer field would be marshalling. AlexS makes this point perfectly.

The point of this is, when you are, undoubtedly, asked why you did it, you have an immediate answer and one which is truthful. Universities and places of employment look for those who are genuine. Remember, it is very easy to get caught in a lie. You may have a great explanation for why you did something like Duke of Edinburgh, but you will not be able to speak of it with as much passion and enthusiasm as that of something you are truly passionate about.

Also, think about work placements. If you know there is a specific field you want to get into, you can apply for an unpaid placing for a short time to gain a little experience. A friend of mine was thinking of becoming a journalist and so took a placement at two local papers to a) see if she liked it and b) to learn about the field and have experience as such. She ended up with a front page story and countless other hard and internet copy journalistic pieces that she could add to her portfolio.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
I know quite a few enthusiasts who are or have been involved in the scout movement. I spent around 14 years from age 16 helping to run a cub pack within a scout group, and have to agree with many of the comments already made - not only will it help with uni and jobs, but it will help you develop as a person. As well as gaining leadership skills, you learn to interact with children, parents, other leaders and various other people. There's also the sense of achievement it gives, such as when your group wins a competition, or the kids/parents come up to you at the end of a weekend away and say what a great time they've had. I'm not too sure about the 'putting in as many hours as you want' comment though - I know on occasions I seemed to be busy 3 or 4 nights a week, particularly in the run up to a weekend outing or event.

With regard to interviews, going for one job I was quizzed on my outside interests, and was able to bring it up - it turned out one of the interviewers was a Guide leader so we were able to have a good conversation about it. I did get the job, although I've no idea if that contributed to it! I hate to say it, but if you tell them your main hobby is riding on trains or photographing them, they will just label you as a 'trainspotter'.

I eve managed to combine railways into it on a few occasions - I spent one week trying to get them to understand the 24 hour clock, and another on reading train timetables (I'm glad I only gave them one covering a single line, and not the full West Yorkshire one as I thought of at first!). On another occasion, to celebrate the 75th anniversary, we were tasked with making a flag and flying it in an unusual place - we got ours on the veranda of the back coach at a preserved railway thanks to me knowing the line's chairman!

Status
Not open for further replies.