• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sometimes get seat res, sometimes not, same journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I have several Advance tickets for various dates, Southport to Hereford changing at Liverpool South Parkway and Crewe.

I've just noticed that some of them give me a timed train reservation "ticket" for the LPY to CRE leg (although only * *** where the coach/seat no. would be), while others don't, just giving one for the CRE to HFD leg. The former state "issued as 03 coupons", the latter "issued as 02 coupons". Everything else is identical, all tickets being via Shrewsbury.

What governs this? Is it simply time of day of travel? It seems fairly random to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I know that ATW do not give out seat reservations with advance tickets, and also LM don't offer seat reservations, but they do have quota controlled seat reservations.

trainophile

Established Member
I just wondered why the identical journey sometimes includes a - let's call it "timed train coupon" as it isn't a seat reservation per se - while other times there is no "timed train coupon" issued for that section of the journey.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I just wondered why the identical journey sometimes includes a - let's call it "timed train coupon" as it isn't a seat reservation per se - while other times there is no "timed train coupon" issued for that section of the journey.

It may depend on whether the train in question is reservable or not. Sometimes I get a * *** reservation from Llanelli when going to London and changing at Cardiff, but when I catch the train from Pembroke Dock (not reservable) and change at Swansea, I get nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.