• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sometimes request stops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractakid

How many stations are there at which some trains call normally, and some by request?

Using brtimes.com as a source... I seemed to have discovered Deganwy (the direct train to Cardiff Central ISN'T a request stop), Bearley, Claverdon, (the London Midland service IS a request stop) have both types of calls.

Are there any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Pleasington is a request stop for the hourly Colne-Blackpool South service that serves it, however it's a compulsory stop on the M-S 1744 Preston-York (ex-Blackpool North) services that serves all the local stations between Preston and Blackburn. I'm assuming that's because the locals are 142, 150s or 156s, and the York is a 158 and usually busy.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Some stops on the Heart of Wales line are request in one direction and mandatory stop in t'other, mainly due to the need to activate level crossings.

Gowerton is a request stop on some services, others not (especially now it's been redoubled).

Due to patronage by the local schoolchildren, in practice the Anglesey stations on the 1121 CDF-HHD weekday services are all defacto mandatory stops, even though they're marked as request stops. Same goes for Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr and Conwy on the 1438 HHD-CDF.

Crossover

Established Member
Not entirely the same scenario, but Denton and Reddish South are request stops, but I believe the train usually calls regardless of whether anyone signals for the train to stop

Established Member
I spent a week in Llandudno last summer, and found that trains always stopped at Deganwy whether anyone signalled or not. One time I wanted to get off there, and the conductor hadn't come down the train. I went to ask him about it at Llandudno Junction and he just gave me a funny look, so I think it's generally treated as a compulsory stop.

Ebore

Until the last timetable change Rogart was a request stop apart from the 17:54 Inverness - Wick, now it's a request stop for all trains even though the 17:54 has a 4 minute stop in the WTT.

district

Whilst travelling on the Severn Beach Line last year I noticed that request stop St. Andrews Road was stopped every time I visited, and was actually more popular than smaller halts elsewhere on the rail network. For example, would Winchelsea, Doleham and Three Oaks be candidates for request stop conversion?

Ivo

Established Member
Whilst travelling on the Severn Beach Line last year I noticed that request stop St. Andrews Road was stopped every time I visited, and was actually more popular than smaller halts elsewhere on the rail network.

It's surprisingly busy at peak periods, but pretty much dead during the middle of the day and at weekends. I am of the opinion that it should be a candidate for this thread (i.e. sometimes request, sometimes compulsory), and closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

I have used the station in both directions before now, with several others on this forum, and in both directions at least one other person got off (from Bristol) or on (to Bristol). There was also at least one other person who got off and then on 15 minutes later as we did...

district

I have used the station in both directions before now, with several others on this forum, and in both directions at least one other person got off (from Bristol) or on (to Bristol). There was also at least one other person who got off and then on 15 minutes later as we did...
If I remember correctly, it serves a EWS depot in Avonmouth, so provides a useful link for staff needing access to the depot.

Eire Sprinter

Clarbeston Road (Pembrokeshire) is one such station - some trains stop normally, others on request, a few trains don't stop (e.g. daytime express boat train) and a few trains commence and terminate there.

David Andrews

15 of the 24 stations on the Cumbrian coast line are request stops although in practice trains tend to have passengers at nearly all stations.

bnm

Established Member
It's surprisingly busy at peak periods, but pretty much dead during the middle of the day and at weekends. I am of the opinion that it should be a candidate for this thread (i.e. sometimes request, sometimes compulsory), and closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

St Andrews Road should NOT be closed on Sundays/Bank Holidays. I'd have to cycle to work from Avonmouth station instead! The two current Sunday request stop services are perfect for my Sunday shift. I'm also rarely alone in boarding/alighting.

Also do note that on Summer Sundays there is an hourly daytime service which is compulsory stop. Excepting the two year round services.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I am pretty sure some stations on the Tarka line in North Devon (Exeter to Barnstaple) are request stops most of the time, but normal stops at busier times of the day.

DavidBrown

I am pretty sure some stations on the Tarka line in North Devon (Exeter to Barnstaple) are request stops most of the time, but normal stops at busier times of the day.

I think that only Umberleigh fits into this criteria. Eggesford and Crediton are always called at, and the rest are always request stops.

Some stops on the Heart of Wales line are request in one direction and mandatory stop in t'other, mainly due to the need to activate level crossings.

Yup, Bucknell is one of those. Trains heading to Shrewsbury always call at the station as the train has to stop for the level crossing. But trains heading to Swansea are request only.

Status
Not open for further replies.