• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Son turning 19 during duration of season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedchester

Established Member
My son uses a Merseyrail Railoass to go to work.

At the moment Merseyrail offer 16-18 years season tickets at child prices i.e. 50% off. He's 19 next month so will no longer be eligible for the reduction.

However, if he buys his monthly season ticket before his 19th birthday (at 50% off) then will he be able to use the ticket throughout the ticket's duration even though he turns 19?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
A child rate season ticket is valid throughout, even if the holder turns 16 during the period of validity. The rules may differ for a PTE product (especially one giving an extra 2 years at child rate) but I'd be surprised.

Haywain

Veteran Member
A child rate season ticket is valid throughout, even if the holder turns 16 during the period of validity. The rules may differ for a PTE product (especially one giving an extra 2 years at child rate) but I'd be surprised.
Whereas a 16-17 railcard discounted season can only be issued for up to 4 months beyond the railcard expiry/18th birthday. However, that's a different matter and the T&Cs for the Railpass have the answer:
A young person’s Merseyrail Only Railpass is only valid if you are 18 years of age or under. We may need to see proof of your age. Merseyrail reserve the right to refuse purchase if acceptable proof of age is not produced at the point of sale. Merseyrail reserve the right to refuse travel if acceptable proof of age is not produced when requested by an authorised representative.
This indicates that is no validity on or beyond the 19th birthday.

nedchester

Established Member
Whereas a 16-17 railcard discounted season can only be issued for up to 4 months beyond the railcard expiry/18th birthday. However, that's a different matter and the T&Cs for the Railpass have the answer:

This indicates that is no validity on or beyond the 19th birthday.
Ah right thanks for that.

Much appreciated.

Haywain

Veteran Member
A child rate season ticket is valid throughout, even if the holder turns 16 during the period of validity.
Not so.
Only for 4 months I believe after the 16th birthday
Correct. Knowledgebase says:
  • 7-Day Season Tickets/Travelcards – Children pay the adult price on reaching their 16th birthday. If the birthday is after the first day of validity, a 7-Day Season Ticket at half rate will remain valid;
  • Period Season Tickets/Travelcards – A child who becomes 16 years old on the first day of a 'period' Season Ticket/Travelcards pays the adult rate. If the birthday is within the ticket’s validity period, but after the first day, the half rate ticket will continue to be valid, but needs to expire by up to a maximum of four months after the 16th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.