• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs that you associate with public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2012

Thought this would be an interesting idea for a thread. Quite simply are there any songs that you associate with public transport.

For me there are some songs which always make me feel good and which I always want to listen to whilst on a long journey and others which I associate with a particular route or a particular journey I've ridden on- either because I've listened to them regularly whilst riding a particular service or heard them for the first time on board a particular service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
For a while in the '60s I dated a girl who lived in Earlsfield. For many Saturdays I did the journey from Essex to Earlsfield (via Liverpool St and Waterloo). That was when Waterloo Sunset was in the charts. Also, the journey involved 4SUBs plus seeing Bournemouth trains hauled by Bullied pacifics and Portsmouth Direct trains comprising 'Nelsons' (class 404s).
And no, her name wasn't Julie nor is mine Terry, (or Ray). :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
For a while in the '60s I dated a girl who lived in Earlsfield. For many Saturdays I did the journey from Essex to Earlsfield (via Liverpool St and Waterloo). That was when Waterloo Sunset was in the charts. Also, the journey involved 4SUBs plus seeing Bournemouth trains hauled by Bullied pacifics and Portsmouth Direct trains comprising 'Nelsons' (class 404s).
And no, her name wasn't Julie nor is mine Terry, (or Ray). :)
Wasn’t Lola? o_O

83G/84D

Established Member
The wheels on the bus...

Last train to trancentral.

The runaway train.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ocean Colour Scene's finest of course! :)

Though I associate a lot of rock type music from late 1997-early 1998 with train travel, as I commuted to uni for my first semester and usually listened to the radio (no MP3 back then! :) ) for most of it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre always makes me think of train travel as it seems to have a train like rythem.

Sybic26

From the 1953 BTF short film The Elephant will never forget, about the closure of the London Team system. The ditty Riding on top of the car by George Lashwood.
Also oh Mr Porter!
Last train to Clarksville The Monkees
Last train to London Electric Light Orchestra.

Last edited:

Spamcan81

The Slow Train - Flanders and Swan
Trains and Boats and Planes - various
Ferry Cross The Mersey - Gerry and The Pacemakers
The Runaway Train - Michael Holliday

6Gman

Established Member
There are, of course, plenty of American railroad songs. For me the best is "City of New Orleans" which describes very atmospherically a long overnight journey.

Passin' trains that have no names,
Railyards full of old black men
And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles

Night time on the City of New Orleans
Changing cars in Memphis, Tennessee

etc

Surprisingly it was written as recently as 1971.

carlberry

Established Member
Heaving on a Jet Plane - The Barron Knights
Another Town, Another Train - ABBA
I've been waiting for You - ABBA

I've got my coat already....

Jonny

Established Member
How about this one about 21st Century buses :lol:
Official version:

Unofficial anime-style video:

Status