• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs that you associate with public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.

whhistle

On Moderation

The Jam - Going Underground

Or more accurately that version where someone changed the words.

eastdyke

Established Member
One for when the screens are looking like the job is about to stop:
Keep on Running - Spencer Davis Group

And a whole album (but not for everyone on account of content):
Waterloo to Anywhere - Dirty Pretty Things

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat. Only because of the video - Jimmy Somerville gets to ride on a Class 210 DEMU!

DavidGrain

Established Member
If I don't see a ribbon round the ole oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the ole oak tree

Now the whole damned bus is cheerin'
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons round the ole oak tree

Tie a Yellow Ribbon round the Old Oak Tree. Tony Orlando.

djpontrack

Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat. Only because of the video - Jimmy Somerville gets to ride on a Class 210 DEMU!

That's an excellent video, especially the bit where the first generation dmu is crossing from one line to another near Paddington.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have this LP in my collection with many songs about railways.
brett-stevens-green-all-the-way-cover.jpg

DavidGrain

Established Member
May I bring you Carter USM. Plenty references in this song.

I thought '24 minutes from Tulse Hill' was just a joke play on words mentioned by a presenter on the radio many years ago. I did not know it had been incorporated into a song.

Bromley boy

Established Member
The Day We Caught The Train, by Ocean Colour Scene (surprised that one hasn’t been mentioned yet).

A more esoteric one of mine is Driver 8, by REM (from one of their early albums “Fables of the Reconstruction”)

And the train conductor says take a break, Driver 8, Driver 8 take a break, we’ve been on this shift too long...

Music to my ears, literally!

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
'King's Cross' by The Pet Shop Boys

Congratulations on a most excellent choice - filmed at the same railway my gaslight avatar was taken at...

You can’t go wrong with the Pet Shop Boys, or with the Bluebell Railway ;).

Zamracene749

'Breaking Away' by Donald Fagen. I don't think it's possible to take the Amsterdam ferry from the Tyne without that song jumping into my head. 'Downbound Train' - Springsteen, and on an even darker note 'Local boy in the photograph' by Stereophonics. 'Down in the Tube station at midnight' , 'Trans Europe Express', 'Smalltown Boy' and 'national express' are of course the top ones that have already been mentioned! Oh and 'Relax' by Leon Redbone- think this was used to advertise GNER way back when.....

WAB

Mine is a song which was one of the first videos I ever saw on YouTube. I cannot find it now, but I believe it was entitled "Girl on a train.wmv" or similar, with the video showing a woman on a mark I or II coach. The lyrics went something like "So why don't you hold me / Just like you used to / Somebody numb this burning pain".

EM2

Established Member
I'm surprised that 'Downtown Train' by Tom Waits and later Rod Stewart hasn't been mentioned.
One line of this song was reworded by an ex-colleague as an homage to FCC (as it was then) to 'The downstairs trains are full, full of all those Bedford girls', FCC of course operating from the subsurface platforms at St Pancras.

43021HST

Established Member

As a Youtube comment puts it, the song is history of UKs rail from 1993 to present day.

I quote some lyrics for those who can't who can't bear to listen:

"But it’s utter crime that these private companies have their greasy paws on our historic railways
Northern Rail appeal to the more seasoned, bottom set maths, jobsworth
Not to tail them all under the same brush
Heaven forbid"

"If you’ve noticed anything suspicious, then please report it to a member of this train crew”
It is bizarre to know how the tannoy pattern varies depending wholly on how much the conductor enjoys the sound of their own voice
Clearly a highlight for the blissfully unaware
Who loves to think he is providing much needed local knowledge and humour
I don’t have time to be hanging around Huddersfield station’s lovely little café
I’m on this train because I’ve got actual places to be
"

Status
Not open for further replies.