• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Songs that you associate with public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
"National Express" by Divine Comedy.
Yes that's a good one as are all the above. What about Waterloo by Abba, which often goes round in my head when I arrive at that Station.? (The theme tune to "The Liver Birds" TV series also comes to mind when I arrive at Liverpool Lime Street station as does "Sale of the Century" when I arrive at Norwich.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
I am not so sure that Going Underground by The Jam is about the London Underground, but more an attack on Margaret Thather.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
Midnight Train to Georgia - Gladys Knight & the Pips
Long train running - The Doobie Brothers
Downtown Train - Tom Waits or Rod Stewart
Ferry cross the Mersey - Gerry & the Pacemakers
Inaugural trams - Super Furry Animals
Nightrain -Guns n Roses
Train in Vain - Clash
Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk

And a personal favorite of mine: Convoy - C. W. McCall

Leaving On A Jet Plane by, er, (Googles) Peter Paul & Mary

Written by John Denver - who died in a plane crash.

317 forever

Established Member
An 80s song with an accidental connections with buses is Madness's Cardiac Arrest as includes the lyric Got to get the First Bus

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Wasn't there a song some years ago, that mentioned Warwick Avenue UndergrounD station?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't know whether the song has anything to do with the tube station, But "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty always makes me think of that station and its Sherlock Holmes silhouette tiles.

Groningen

Established Member
Please do not think of: I don't wanna die in an air disaster by Albert Hammond. I am a train is more positive!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

As a Youtube comment puts it, the song is history of UKs rail from 1993 to present day.

I quote some lyrics for those who can't who can't bear to listen:

"But it’s utter crime that these private companies have their greasy paws on our historic railways
Northern Rail appeal to the more seasoned, bottom set maths, jobsworth
Not to tail them all under the same brush
Heaven forbid"

"If you’ve noticed anything suspicious, then please report it to a member of this train crew”
It is bizarre to know how the tannoy pattern varies depending wholly on how much the conductor enjoys the sound of their own voice
Clearly a highlight for the blissfully unaware
Who loves to think he is providing much needed local knowledge and humour
I don’t have time to be hanging around Huddersfield station’s lovely little café
I’m on this train because I’ve got actual places to be
"
I was unaware of this band, thanks for posting. Very Fall-esque, with a sprinkling of early Blur.

Groningen

Established Member
Zoo Station - U2

Why not add movies to this topic? Murder on the Oriënt Express, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and The Cassandra Crossing. There is also a movie where the train does not stop at all and the locomotive (after disconnecting the wagons/coaches) plowes into Chicago station. Oh yes; Silver Streak from 1976.

antharro

Pet Shop Boys - Kings Cross, but with the better video of King's Cross in it, the Underground, and HSTs!

West End Girls has a brief clip of Waterloo station in the 1980ies

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The opening verse of "National Sh*te Day" by Half Man Half Biscuit springs to mind whenever I have to negotiate the concourse of Leeds or Huddersfield at busy times, particularly when there's a fair bit of bustitution going on!

Pulling the ice axe from my leg
I staggered on
Spindrift stinging my remaining eye

I finally managed to reach the station
Only to find that the bus replacement service had broken down

After wondering to myself whether or not it should actually be called a train replacement service
I walked out onto the concourse and noticed the giant screen seemed to have been tampered with
Probably by a junior employee
Disgruntled commuters were being regaled with some dismal TVM
Involving a tug-of-love-custody-battle
Stockard Channing held sway...

Also, here's the aforementioned Violent Femmes song:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
"Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees.

This relates to the closure of Clarksville station in Tennessee. The most famous train on the Memphis Line through Clarksville was the Pan American, which had it’s beginning in December of 1921. This train was discontinued on November 15, 1965. This was due to the drop in passenger business. The Monkees came out with the song, “Last Train to Clarksville” due to this discontinuation. But that was not the last train to Clarksville. Night trains 101 & 104 ran on until February 28, 1968 when C. W. Harrison, night ticket agent, sold the last passenger ticket in Clarksville.

For more details see

http://www.mchsociety.org/Sub-Pages/Hist-TrainStation.html

yorksrob

Veteran Member
"Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees.

This relates to the closure of Clarksville station in Tennessee. The most famous train on the Memphis Line through Clarksville was the Pan American, which had it’s beginning in December of 1921. This train was discontinued on November 15, 1965. This was due to the drop in passenger business. The Monkees came out with the song, “Last Train to Clarksville” due to this discontinuation. But that was not the last train to Clarksville. Night trains 101 & 104 ran on until February 28, 1968 when C. W. Harrison, night ticket agent, sold the last passenger ticket in Clarksville.

For more details see

http://www.mchsociety.org/Sub-Pages/Hist-TrainStation.html

I heard somewhere that there was a big military training facility at Clarksville and the song was about some young soldier arranging for his girlfriend to come up for a last night of nookie before getting shipped off to "Nam".

Quite a moving theme for what was on the face of it, quite an upbeat song.

martinsh

Established Member
I don't know whether the song has anything to do with the tube station, But "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty always makes me think of that station and its Sherlock Holmes silhouette tiles.

And off the same album City to City which is the story of a journey (home for Gerry) from London to Glasgow on the seated portion of the sleeper.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member

Bevan Price

Established Member
"East Coast Flier" by Big Big Train

"Train To Nowhere" - versions by Savoy Brown & Rare Earth.

"Sylvester's Last Voyage" by Forevermore (about a ship sinking)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sugababes - Overload

Mainly because the chorus is “Train comes I don’t know it’s destination. Got a one way ticket for a madman situation.”

That is very much the case with the trains I get on at Reading now, what with the Derby works and Great Western Railway electrification scheme. Madness these days.

I do love the sugaz. Sorry not sorry. :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.